Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any gardeners here?

Re: Any gardeners here?

Those feasts were some of the best eatin' anyone could ever have! It's a wonder we all don't have skin cancer from the sun we took on those days.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bailing straw was great!!! Bailing hay... not so much...

I have permanent scarring on my under forearms because I refused to wear a long sleeved shirt.

I think I could still do it. Maybe not.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I grew up on a dairy farm, I spent many a day out baling hay. We never baled unless it was 90+ outside. I hated it when i was doing it as a kid/teenager but looking back I was in such good shape and so thin and strong and most of it had to do with baling hay and all the hard work. I really miss it now, I cant believe I just typed that.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Let me get this straight, we are talking tobacco here, right?

No, no. I used an example of a gardening technique (surely Hollywood wouldn't just make something up, no not them, LOL) that I saw on a movie as part of my question. I'm just frustrated with the quality of the soil I have to work with, and don't want to "cheat" by adding organic (yeah, right) crap bought from Lowes or some commercial greenhouse. And, I swear to God, if I catch another of my ****ing dogs walking in my seed beds, they're going to be wearing my boot in the butt. It pisses me off. Maybe I'm just a wee bit too short-tempered or attached to my seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    No, no. I used an example of a gardening technique (surely Hollywood wouldn't just make something up, no not them, LOL) that I saw on a movie as part of my question. I'm just frustrated with the quality of the soil I have to work with, and don't want to "cheat" by adding organic (yeah, right) crap bought from Lowes or some commercial greenhouse. And, I swear to God, if I catch another of my ****ing dogs walking in my seed beds, they're going to be wearing my boot in the butt. It pisses me off. Maybe I'm just a wee bit too short-tempered or attached to my seeds.
    I start my own seeds. It's a bit late, but you can still get some now. Get one of those "mini-greenhouses" at Lowes. They are a "flat" that has plastic cells to put a little bit of dirt and a plastic cover over it. Plant the seeds with a good seed starting soil (Miracle grow potting mix is adequate and easy to find, but not really the best).. You want something that is peat moss based. Then poke a couple of small holes in the plastic "lid" that covers the seeds, because you don't want them to get too damp. Put the flat under lights (shoplight flourescent lights are fine for a small amonut).

That's the quick summary. I left out a lot of information, but if you want more info, let me know. I've been doing it for awhile now.. Typically I start my seeds indoors in the basement about 6-10 weeks before last frost (depends on the plant).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

saboforthird

REDREAD, is there still a *chance* that I can get tomatoes this year by growing from seed? We bought probably 30 varieties of tomatoes, and I would hate for this to be The Year of No Tomatoes. I mean, what's a garden without tomatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    REDREAD, is there still a *chance* that I can get tomatoes this year by growing from seed? We bought probably 30 varieties of tomatoes, and I would hate for this to be The Year of No Tomatoes. I mean, what's a garden without tomatoes?
    Well, if you started them right now, you'd probably be ok, but they'd be later.
    I'd buy a couple plants already grown to hedge your bets though. I really can't say for sure, because I've never started them this late up north.
    If you got the seeds, go for it. Water the plants frequently (when they appear), that helps.

A nice variety that grows easy from seed is "Fourth of July".. you get fruit a lot quicker, although they are smaller (not cherry sized, but smaller than normal).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?