Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Brandon Phillips Make the Allstar Team??

Should Brandon Phillips Make the Allstar Team??

Lets assume we stay at or near the top of the Central, who which Reds will make the Allstar team? I think KGJ, Arroyo, and maybe Harang and Coffey but what about Brandon Phillips? He is batting .316 with an OPS of .829 in 177 ABs. Utley and Vidro have both played well this year and that might be enough to keep him off but his stats are surprisingly worthy. Personally, I think it might not be a good thing if he makes the allstar team this early as that could go to his head. He seems to have left some of his bad habits behind in Cleveland and I'd hate to see pride bring a few back to the surface. Also, I think that being a number 7 or 8 hitter in this lineup may disguise his importance and hurt him when it comes to choosing the team.
    Last edited by joshnky; 06-09-2006 at 07:33 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should BP Make the Allstar Team??

I doubt Coffey will make it, as he's only been a MR up till this past week, and MR's, no matter how good the numbers, won't make it.

As for Phillips, you're right, with Vidro and Utley there, it could be tough, as both overall have put up better #'s.....But still can't argue with him being our All-Star

Arroyo right now is a shoe-in, and it's between him and Webb to actually get the starting nod. If Harang can continue, I see him making it as well, although his ERA might hurt his chances assuming the guys ahead of him continue to pitch lights out

Griffey I think makes it assuming he stays healthy. I mean he already about leads the Reds in RBI's, and missed an entire month.

I'd actually like to see him left off, keep that chip on his shoulder.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Should Brandon Phillips Make the Allstar Team??

It will be Utley.

Hopefully, KGJ continues to stay in the top 3 OF and starts, and then we should get at least 1 more player to accompany him.

Brandon Phillips, not this year.

Utley should start, and Vidro will probably be the backup. Dan Uggla is also putting together a great season in Florida.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

thorn

I'd like to see him get in. Maybe instead of the "Chip on his Shoulder" maybe it goes to reaffirm what he's been doing is working. You guys think everyone is weak in the head for some reason.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

This ten game homestand will surely help Griffey with his vote total and put him solidly in the top three.

Utley's numbers are better, Vidro's are not. At least not accross the board.

Code:
    PLAYER	         AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	SB	CS	BB	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS
    Jose Vidro	 221	29	71	8	1	4	26	1	0	20	.321	.379	.421	.800
    Chase Utley	 237	51	75	16	1	11	36	6	3	25	.316	.392	.532	.923
    Brandon Phillips 177	28	56	8	1	6	36	12	0	10	.316	.354	.475	.829
    BP's SLG falls in between the two. He's a perfect 12-12 in SB's. He has the lowest OBP of the three, but it's respectable a .354. And he has about 50 fewer AB's. IMO Utley will get the nod, but the difference in these three players talent wise and numbers wise isn't that great.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn
    I'd like to see him get in. Maybe instead of the "Chip on his Shoulder" maybe it goes to reaffirm what he's been doing is working. You guys think everyone is weak in the head for some reason.
    I prefer players to feel like they have something to prove. It makes them try harder. It's the reason you see guys like Guillen tee off every time he faces a former team, he feels the need to prove they made a mistake. It's also the reason you see average to below average players like Beltre go off for a .388 OBP, 48 HR and 121 RBI in a walk year. They feel the need to prove they are worth big money.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwilly98
    Arroyo right now is a shoe-in, and it's between him and Webb to actually get the starting nod.
    Griffey I think makes it assuming he stays healthy. I mean he already about leads the Reds in RBI's, and missed an entire month.
    I think Glavine gets the nod at this point. And regardless of Junior's numbers or time off, he's still a fan favorite that should get in.

Has a player ever gone from DFA'ed to All-Star in the same season?

It's amazing that this is even being realistically discussed.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Roster glue

Even though the All-Star game now "matters," I still consider it an exhibition...and watch every year. I am genuinely excited that the Reds will likely have more than one representative. Griffey should be voted in, and if Arroyo pitches well in his next four starts, he will also make it.

Phillips and Lopez both have good shots especially if they can string together some hot weeks. Stuffing the ballot boxes at home games will help, but realistically, Phillips is probably on par with Uggla (.308/.357/.485) and behind Utley (.316/.392/.532) in terms of offensive production, with Phillips defense and speed (12 SB) giving him a slight edge over the former.

Another thing to remember is that neither the Marlins nor the Phils are teams which will be limited to one representative who will make it over more qualified candidates.

Should Brandon Phillips Make the Allstar Team??
    Reminds me of the Bill James essay on why a hot hitting Toby Harrah shouldn't mak eteh AS Game, essentially the conclusion was that the AS game was more about a body of work then a 3 month window that has been open.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    IMO Utley will get the nod, but the difference in these three players talent wise and numbers wise isn't that great.
    Chase Utley is an elite performer at 2B. The rest are just very good.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I don't think we're going to have more than one guy make the team. Nobody's putting up MONSTER numbers--just good numbers.

I think BP deserves to go, but may not for all the reasons already mentioned.

If we only get one guy in, it will be Arroyo.

Reds worthy of consideration:

Lopez
    Arroyo
    Phillips

Really, that's about all.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Turn Off Ads?