Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NY newspapers just won't let it go...

The NY newspapers just won't let it go...

This from today's NY Post:

The Bombers recently called Tampa Bay about Damon Hollins, though. Other possible solutions are Washington's Alfonso Soriano, San Francisco's Pedro Feliz, Pittsburgh's Craig Wilson, Kansas City's Matt Stairs and Milwaukee's Carlos Lee. Ken Griffey Jr. or Adam Dunn might also be available if first-place Cincinnati falls out of contention.
    Adam Dunn might be available

These guys must truly believe that all teams like the Reds are just farm clubs for teams like the Yanks.

LINK TO STORY
    Last edited by max venable; 06-09-2006 at 10:14 AM.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The NY newspapers just won't let it go...

Want more? This is from Bob Klapisch's column today:

(Melky) Cabrera is tightening his grip on a permanent place in the Yankees' universe, making it more and more difficult for general manager Brian Cashman to justify a trade for Bobby Abreu or Ken Griffey Jr.
    Again, all these guys just assume that Griffey could be a Yankee at the drop of a hat.

LINK TO STORY

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    all these guys just assume that Griffey could be a Yankee at the drop of a hat.
    how much money's in that hat?

The Yankees have worked this way for a long time. Indeed the Reds have looked like the best major league farm club in baseball, AAAA. The Reds are going too well right now to dump players, but if they start to tank it wouldn't surprise me if they trade players for money. Also, if the fans don't show up in masses that will be a strong factor in cutting their losses.

Quote Originally Posted by 37red
    The Yankees have worked this way for a long time. Indeed the Reds have looked like the best major league farm club in baseball, AAAA. The Reds are going too well right now to dump players, but if they start to tank it wouldn't surprise me if they trade players for money. Also, if the fans don't show up in masses that will be a strong factor in cutting their losses.
    I hear ya....but my point is: what makes the Yankees assume that Junior or Dunn is simply theirs if they want them? What in the world could they offer us in return?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I hear ya....but my point is: what makes the Yankees assume that Junior or Dunn is simply theirs if they want them?
    To be fair, you're inferring something the articles don't say. To say that a guy might be available doesn't imply that the deal is as good as done. And even if that's what the writer thinks, he's a writer, not the Yankees front office.

Turning back on Yankees dislike mode...
    Not all who wander are lost

I hear ya....but my point is: what makes the Yankees assume that Junior or Dunn is simply theirs if they want them? What in the world could they offer us in return?
    The Yankees have not assumed anything; it is the sportswriters who need to sell papers. I will say again for the millionth time that they have strongly indicated that they have no desire to trade for big-name players at this time. To address your question "What in the world could they offer us in return?", the very obvious answer is Chien-Ming Wang, who could be a very strong pitcher for the Reds. But the Yankees refuse to let him go.

If you want more fodder for Yankees hatred, continue to read these papers. If you want to know what's actually going on with the team and their intentions, go to the source: their press conferences, their statements, and Yankees message boards who pay close attention to such things. I'm happy to direct you if you like.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    To be fair, you're inferring something the articles don't say. To say that a guy might be available doesn't imply that the deal is as good as done. And even if that's what the writer thinks, he's a writer, not the Yankees front office.

Turning back on Yankees dislike mode...
    Ok...I maybe I shouldn't say "Yankees." What I mean when I say "Yankees" refers more to "Yankee nation" than the team itself. It's the media, the fans, etc., who always seem to look down their noses at everyone else.

Who cares about the Yankees?
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    The Yankees have not assumed anything; it is the sportswriters who need to sell papers. I will say again for the millionth time that they have strongly indicated that they have no desire to trade for big-name players at this time. To address your question "What in the world could they offer us in return?", the very obvious answer is Chien-Ming Wang, who could be a very strong pitcher for the Reds. But the Yankees refuse to let him go.

If you want more fodder for Yankees hatred, continue to read these papers. If you want to know what's actually going on with the team and their intentions, go to the source: their press conferences, their statements, and Yankees message boards who pay close attention to such things. I'm happy to direct you if you like.
    Bah, Yankee-lover.

Quit trying to confuse me with facts. I like my little make-believe world of fact-free opinion. Rainbows and unicorns abound.

Pay attention to the open sky

Ok...I maybe I shouldn't say "Yankees." What I mean when I say "Yankees" refers more to "Yankee nation" than the team itself. It's the media, the fans, etc., who always seem to look down their noses at everyone else.
    With all due respect, Max, it is in large part people like you who get these papers sold. The Yankees are a big organization and a contending team in a huge market; thus, they get a lot of attention. It has been this way almost throughout their entire existence. Those of us who love them know where to get our information and we have a pretty good sense at this point about what rumors to ignore. So I can only infer that people who eat this stuff up constantly are people who love to hate them. Most of this stuff never pans out. If it irritates you, you don't have to pay attention.

The Yankees, like every other team in baseball, have never made a one-sided deal. If a trade has happened, it's because whatever the Yankees were offering was appealing enough to another team at that point in its history, whether it's cash or young players or whatnot. If a free agent has been signed, it is because the player wanted to sign with them for any number of his own reasons. Money can talk til it's blue in the face, but deals are only made if someone listens to it. Would it be arrogant for the Yankees to assume they can acquire any player they want? Yes. But the minute that player is acquired, somone else has agreed to it, which makes it a business deal on both sides, and the brightness of the arrogance so loved by Yankee haters rather loses its lustre.

As a native New Yorker and a HUGE NY Giant fan I can tell you that reading the NY papers its all about speculation and controversy. Thats what the Post wants and thats what the Daily News wants.

In short, so what if thats what they are writing.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

yep, it's not like the Yankees ever flex their financial muscle to grab a player with a big contract from a small market in return for a loser prospect. It's just not like that at all. Not with Bud Selig in charge, it's just not.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    With all due respect, Max, it is in large part people like you who get these papers sold. The Yankees are a big organization and a contending team in a huge market; thus, they get a lot of attention. It has been this way almost throughout their entire existence. Those of us who love them know where to get our information and we have a pretty good sense at this point about what rumors to ignore. So I can only infer that people who eat this stuff up constantly are people who love to hate them. Most of this stuff never pans out. If it irritates you, you don't have to pay attention.

The Yankees, like every other team in baseball, have never made a one-sided deal. If a trade has happened, it's because whatever the Yankees were offering was appealing enough to another team at that point in its history, whether it's cash or young players or whatnot. If a free agent has been signed, it is because the player wanted to sign with them for any number of his own reasons. Money can talk til it's blue in the face, but deals are only made if someone listens to it. Would it be arrogant for the Yankees to assume they can acquire any player they want? Yes. But the minute that player is acquired, somone else has agreed to it, which makes it a business deal on both sides, and the brightness of the arrogance so loved by Yankee haters rather loses its lustre.
    You're missing my point.

You're missing my point.
    Well, I guess so.

Turn Off Ads?