Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimpher to Ohio State?

Retired

Zimpher to Ohio State?

Oh this would be priceless.

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.p...609-E1-03.html

Kathy Lynn Gray and Allison Kolodziej
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

What’ll it take to star as the next president of Ohio State University?

Top education headhunter Bill Funk, who’s found more than 250 presidents and provosts for colleges and universities over the years, makes the qualities sound superhuman: a great fundraiser, lobbyist, academician, manager, financier, visionary, consensus builder and public speaker with a sense of humor, humility, a passion for changing lives and a historic understanding of how higher education works.

"How many people are realistically, from every perspective, capable of taking that job?" Funk mused yesterday when asked what the OSU board of trustees should be looking for in its next president. Perhaps 60 to 80 people fit the profile, he estimates, although hundreds more might think they do.

Funk was surprised to learn that President Karen A. Holbrook had announced Wednesday that she’ll retire on June 30, 2007. But, he pointed out, the five years she’ll have in as president fits with the average tenure of four to six years for a public university leader. Holbrook said she’s retiring to spend more time with her husband, a retired oceanographer.

The OSU job, despite its complexity, is a very attractive one for other college presidents and provosts, said Funk, who last worked for Ohio State when he recruited William E. "Brit" Kirwan, the president before Holbrook.

He said the best candidates probably will come from other large research universities or perhaps be someone who’s worked at both a university and in a high-level government position in Washington.

One thing that probably won’t happen is for someone to jump from another Big Ten university presidency to Ohio State. Funk said that rarely happens.

Sheldon Steinbach, general counsel for the American Council on Education, said the OSU post is one of a few large-university vacancies at the moment. The others include Harvard University, the University of Iowa and Indiana University. New presidents recently were selected for the University of Colorado, the University of Arizona and Temple University, among others nationwide.

The trustees, Steinbach said, will be looking for "someone with a proven track record and someone who can seize the reins of office effectively and expeditiously," whether or not they’ve had experience working at Ohio State.

"OSU is too complex a university to have someone who hasn’t played ball in that ballpark," he said.

He said two possible candidates are Nancy L. Zimpher, University of Cincinnati president and former dean of the OSU College of Education, and Deborah A. Freund, provost at Syracuse University. Freund had been tapped to head UCLA but pulled out of the search after learning the school wouldn’t offer her husband a job.

A third possibility could be Betsy Hoffman, who resigned as president of the University of Colorado last year, Steinbach said.

Although some potential candidates might actively seek the OSU job, often the best are the ones who haven’t even thought about a change, Funk said. He said when his firm, Korn/Ferry International, is hired to search for a president, he’ll target 10 to 20 people he thinks have the right qualifications and try to woo and cajole them into considering the job.

That’s how he lined up Kirwan in 1998. Kirwan was president of the University of Maryland at the time and told Funk he was happy where he was, but Funk brought the OSU chairman of the board of trustees to visit him anyway. Eventually, Funk persuaded Kirwan to visit Ohio State and finally Kirwan agreed to be a candidate.

"It was a classic story of seduction," Funk said.

Michael Goodman, president of OSU’s undergraduate government in 2003-04, said the university’s next leader should identify with students, faculty members, the community and state.

"The university needs to find someone who understands all the various constituencies affected by the university," he said.

The president also should guarantee a balance between the undergraduate education and research.

"When I was on campus, it was critical that (undergraduates) remain a top priority to the university," he said.

Stephen Knoepfler, current chief of staff for the Undergraduate Student Government, said the next president should continue Holbrook’s efforts, especially in academics.

"I think that President Holbrook has done a pretty good job," he said. "I don’t know if all students feel that way, but I don’t have any qualms with her. If she needs to leave to spend more time with her husband, I think family comes first."

Knoepfler, a 21-year-old junior from Cincinnati, said issues such as state funding and safety should be top concerns for the next leader.

"The next president needs to be someone who can talk easily and openly with people down at the Statehouse because funding is something that is very important to us," he said. "It directly affects our tuition dollars."

The Ohio State board of trustees is expected to begin the presidential search within the next month. Funk estimated it will take six months or more to name a new president.

kgray@dispatch.com

akolodziej@dispatch.com
    Yes, OSU, please hire Nancy Zimpher. PLEASE!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Zimpher to Ohio State?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Oh this would be priceless.

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.p...609-E1-03.html

Yes, OSU, please hire Nancy Zimpher. PLEASE!

Truthfully? I wouldn't want her to go up to Columbus and ruin their sports program too.. but I sure as hell wish she'd get out of Dodge.

I must admit though (witch that I am), I'd like to see her canned rather than just move on up the food chain.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Oh but she is the exact type to move up the academia food chain. She's an elitist that is brilliant in political speak.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I just told my roomate about the news... He went crazy. We both attend UC. He is also a huge OSU football fan. Funny though, I bet some of my friends who are OSU fans (the same ones who said that Zimpher really wasn't that bad, mostly because they hated Bob Huggins) change their tune a little. No offense to UK fans out there, but it would be even more comical to me if they needed a new president and she was a canidate. I bet they change their tune too. The standards that Nancy wants an atheletic department to recruit with are near impossible to meet. Unfortunately, I have a feeling she will be in Cincinnati much, much longer than I want her here. But considereing there hasn't been a time machine invented, that will always be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    I just told my roomate about the news... He went crazy. We both attend UC. He is also a huge OSU football fan. Funny though, I bet some of my friends who are OSU fans (the same ones who said that Zimpher really wasn't that bad, mostly because they hated Bob Huggins) change their tune a little. No offense to UK fans out there, but it would be even more comical to me if they needed a new president and she was a canidate. I bet they change their tune too. The standards that Nancy wants an atheletic department to recruit with are near impossible to meet. Unfortunately, I have a feeling she will be in Cincinnati much, much longer than I want her here. But considereing there hasn't been a time machine invented, that will always be the case.
    No thanks.

You can have her. We don't want her in Lexington.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I know the UC men's basketball fans among us blame Nancy for the precipitous decline in the program, but her track record before UC was not so bad. At UW-Milwaukee, she was in charge when Bo Ryan came on board. After taking UW-M to the dance a couple of times, Bo moved a short drive west to Madison. Since going there he has reeled in a couple of Big Ten championships with the Badgers.

I'm just saying that she's not a complete train wreck when it comes to athletics or even men's basketball. Buckeye fans shouldn't lose any sleep if she moves to Columbus.

FWIW, the outgoing prez at Ohio State has picked up her share of enemies among fans by cracking down on drinking during football tailgate parties.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Anything that gets Nancy out of UC is good for me.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I'm just saying that she's not a complete train wreck when it comes to athletics or even men's basketball. Buckeye fans shouldn't lose any sleep if she moves to Columbus.
    She is an academic that simply doesn't understand that athletics (notably: Men's Basketball and Football) are the tail that wags the dog at most major universities. Like the President of my own alma mater, she's too wrapped up in this idealistic vision of "student athletes" and dedication to "academics first" that sounds really swell on paper but results in doormat programs that get obliterated by the guys who aren't so enamored with those ideas as they are kids with natural physical ability.

Nancy Zimpher represents the worst of acadamia: elitist and out of touch with reality -- caught up in her own quest to further carve a niche for her and her ilk that is seperate from the rest of the population. The mission of a public university is to provide educational opportunity to citizens of the state -- not just those select few who raise the school's profile with high test scores and top grades coming out of school.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Please God, no!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Celebration of Holbrook leaving getting crushed by this. I think we should start anti-Zimpher rallies now at OSU considering she does have past ties to the university as well.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    Celebration of Holbrook leaving getting crushed by this. I think we should start anti-Zimpher rallies now at OSU considering she does have past ties to the university as well.
    Zimpher is also personal friends with Karen, so I'm sure she'll be pushing for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Zimpher is also personal friends with Karen, so I'm sure she'll be pushing for her.

:runawaycr

I just cannot decide which one is most appropriate. Holbrook and her obsession with research and not caring about undergrads may just look like the best president in history compared to Zimpher. I can see Tressel getting fired already.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    She is an academic that simply doesn't understand that athletics (notably: Men's Basketball and Football) are the tail that wags the dog at most major universities.
    It does wag the dog at Ohio State. Not even close to true of "most major universities." There's only 128 or so Division I-A schools and most of them lose money on athletics.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?