Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zimpher to Ohio State?

Re: Zimpher to Ohio State?

Oh good lord no! Hey the article did say that Harvard was in need of a prez. how about you go there Zimp, perfect for an elitist! We (OSU & UC fans) could help Harvard find her couldn't we?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bye Bye Jim Tressel.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Bye Bye Jim Tressel.
    I do not think Tressel would have a lot to worry about if this happened unless there was some scandal there. The guy who I think may have reason to worry is Thad Matta. Think about it. He is going to be bringing in players who more than likely will leave after a year or two. That does not help the graduation rates of the basketball team. Plus Thad is starting to become a hot name as far as college coaches are concerned. He is starting to get more attention and get into the limelight a little more. That kind of attention brings more scrutiny to a person and his program and it can also inflate their egos to the point where they get somewhat out of control. Some guys it never happens to but fame makes people behave in strange ways. To me Thad seems to have a case of wanderlust. Sort of a job hopper. Now you may think that tOSU is a plum job since it is in the Big 10 and he is getting the cream of the crop in as far as recruits go but there are bigger jobs out there than tOSU as far as basketball goes. What if Coach K retired? Or Jim Calhoun? Maybe he would like to coach the best players in the NBA. Besides, I do not think Zimpher is as bad to an athletic program as she is painted to be. I do not think she handled everything regarding Huggins the right way but she seems to let the football program alone. Of course if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there, does it make a sound? I think Huggins personal problems with the DUI on top of some of the recent legal problems he had with players were the main problems. But I remember everyone predicting doom and gloom for UC this year and for the next several years and they came within a hair of making the NCAAs and might have been there if they had not lost those players to injuries. Then everyone thinks she will pick some dork who only cares about players graduating as the coach and they pick Mick Cronin. They may not ever be a dominant force in the Big East like they were in CUSA but anyone with half a brain knows that the Big East is a supremely better conference than CUSA was when UC was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Hopefully she'll take her choice to run the law program with her
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I do not think Tressel would have a lot to worry about if this happened unless there was some scandal there. The guy who I think may have reason to worry is Thad Matta. Think about it. He is going to be bringing in players who more than likely will leave after a year or two. That does not help the graduation rates of the basketball team. Plus Thad is starting to become a hot name as far as college coaches are concerned. He is starting to get more attention and get into the limelight a little more. That kind of attention brings more scrutiny to a person and his program and it can also inflate their egos to the point where they get somewhat out of control. Some guys it never happens to but fame makes people behave in strange ways. To me Thad seems to have a case of wanderlust. Sort of a job hopper. Now you may think that tOSU is a plum job since it is in the Big 10 and he is getting the cream of the crop in as far as recruits go but there are bigger jobs out there than tOSU as far as basketball goes. What if Coach K retired? Or Jim Calhoun? Maybe he would like to coach the best players in the NBA. Besides, I do not think Zimpher is as bad to an athletic program as she is painted to be. I do not think she handled everything regarding Huggins the right way but she seems to let the football program alone. Of course if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there, does it make a sound? I think Huggins personal problems with the DUI on top of some of the recent legal problems he had with players were the main problems. But I remember everyone predicting doom and gloom for UC this year and for the next several years and they came within a hair of making the NCAAs and might have been there if they had not lost those players to injuries. Then everyone thinks she will pick some dork who only cares about players graduating as the coach and they pick Mick Cronin. They may not ever be a dominant force in the Big East like they were in CUSA but anyone with half a brain knows that the Big East is a supremely better conference than CUSA was when UC was there.
    One of the "Thad 5" got arrested last week for shooting someone in a back with a BB gun on campus, which is a felony.

Mick can get UC back to the Huggins level of winning, probably even beyond, but the question is when will Nancy stick her nose into the program again? If a player gets in trouble is she going to run him out of town too?
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 06-11-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    One of the "Thad 5" got arrested last week for shooting someone in a back with a BB gun on campus, which is a felony.

Mick can get UC back to the Huggins level of winning, probably even beyond, but the question is when will Nancy stick her nose into the program again? If a player gets in trouble is she going to run him out of town too?
    That would be David Lighty.

I guess time will tell, but given some of the history involving boosters(Troy Smith and Maurice Clarett), I could see Nancy causing problems for Tressel.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I would do a happy dance if Nancy and her fishnet stockings (yes, it is as disturbing as it sounds) make their way up I-71 (or any place for that matter). No dean or tradition is safe when she's around.

And I grew up an OSU fan.
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-11-2006 at 08:58 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    It does wag the dog at Ohio State. Not even close to true of "most major universities." There's only 128 or so Division I-A schools and most of them lose money on athletics.
    Unless you have numbers I'm unaware of, I'd say that the majority of the "major" confrence (Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Pac 10) college programs bring in more money than they lose on the Mens Basketball and Mens Football programs. As an average, D1 football programs reported a $4.7 million profit in 2001. Naturally that number is skewed by teams like Notre Dame, which clears almost $30 million in profit on TV money alone -- but for most schools, football is the moneymaker. For basketball, the average D1 school turned a $1.7 million profit (again skewed by schools like UK, which brought in $7 million).

Now, once you get down to the "other half" of the D1 programs (MAC, C-USA, WAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.) then yeah, I'd imagine they're not exactly making a killing on their programs. Plus, virtually all universities bleed cash on other sports and most female sports (The average D1 women's basketball program loses $700,000 per year).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Unless you have numbers I'm unaware of, I'd say that the majority of the "major" confrence (Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Pac 10) college programs bring in more money than they lose on the Mens Basketball and Mens Football programs.
    I think you are right on basketball and football making money at most schools.
    However, every other college sport (with a few exceptions) loses money. Sports like wrestling often don't even get enough full scholarships to fund the entire team. Often the players have to share scholarships. Now I'm not saying that's wrong or right, but I am just saying most of the colleges still lose money on sports overall (or at least when I was in school). Now that the colleges are getting a lot more money from the NCAA tourney and bowl games, maybe more schools turn a profit on sports.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Unless you have numbers I'm unaware of, I'd say that the majority of the "major" confrence (Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Pac 10) college programs bring in more money than they lose on the Mens Basketball and Mens Football programs. As an average, D1 football programs reported a $4.7 million profit in 2001. Naturally that number is skewed by teams like Notre Dame, which clears almost $30 million in profit on TV money alone -- but for most schools, football is the moneymaker. For basketball, the average D1 school turned a $1.7 million profit (again skewed by schools like UK, which brought in $7 million).

Now, once you get down to the "other half" of the D1 programs (MAC, C-USA, WAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.) then yeah, I'd imagine they're not exactly making a killing on their programs. Plus, virtually all universities bleed cash on other sports and most female sports (The average D1 women's basketball program loses $700,000 per year).
    The Big East baksetball deal with ESPN, which is going to be announced before the season starts, is supposed to be huge money that's going to be divided between the schools. Rumor puts the total package between $85-$100 million.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    Hopefully she'll take her choice to run the law program with her
    Coug: Pardon me if I've been out of it. Are you/were you in law school at UC or just an interested party? I remember you being in law enforcement.

Either way, what's the lowdown on the choice to run the program? I don't know anything about him/her.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?