Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the Old Mr. Reds' Race or the New One?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Old One

50 73.53%
  • The New One

12 17.65%
  • Apathetic, what a stupid thread.

6 8.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Old Mr. Reds' Race

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

The Old Mr. Reds' Race

Okay, okay, I've been talking this over with my friends and the majority of them agree with me on this one. Who else out there wishes the Reds would revert to the old Riverfront Mr. Reds' Race? You know the one where there were three little black and white heads numbered 1, 2 and 3 that moved there way across the Jumbotron much to the delight of the Reds' fans.

I don't know if any one out there even has an opinion, but I feel strongly that the Reds should scrap the current Mr. Reds' race and revert to the old one. I can still remember being five years old cheering for Number One racing across the screen. I don't know, just throw out your opinion and lets see what my fellow Redzoners feel.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Re: The Old Mr. Reds' Race

I always preferred #2.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Yes, I much prefer the Pong graphics of the old Mr. Red race. Waaay better.

And as a bonus...

Pay attention to the open sky

I can honestly say I've never even given it a moments thought.

I always root for Mr Redleg now.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The new one, cuz I like how they fix it so on Mother's Day and other assorted female related events so Rosie wins.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Rosie has been turning into Superwoman lately... I like the graphics better with the newer race, but the older race it was easier to follow and to root for.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 18-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan2
    Okay, okay, I've been talking this over with my friends and the majority of them agree with me on this one. Who else out there wishes the Reds would revert to the old Riverfront Mr. Reds' Race? You know the one where there were three little black and white heads numbered 1, 2 and 3 that moved there way across the Jumbotron much to the delight of the Reds' fans.
    I said it from the day the moved to GABP. Why not occasionally bring the old B&W pixled devils out and let Dad's tell their kids about the first time they saw it. Let the kids get a good laugh at their dinosaur of a father and let the old farts have a bit of nostalga.

... and really, no reason to limit to just that one.

Walks will haunt. (Unless you don't embrace OBP/OPS, then they are just a non-factor. )

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 06-09-2006 at 12:47 PM.

The Big Red Smokie graphic and the "Walks Will Haunt (Oooooooooooooh)" graphic were my favorites.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I can honestly say I've never even given it a moments thought.

I always root for Mr Redleg now.
    Agreed. Mr. Redlegs is clearly the choice of true Reds fans. If Mr. Redlegs was on the field as a real mascot, I can only imagine he'd cry with shame at seeing Mr. Red, a proud baseball-headed mascot, being forced to share the field with an overgrown furball like Gapper.

True story about the old Mr. Reds race setup that I heard: Pete Rose used to place $20 wagers with other people in the dugout on the outcome of the Mr. Reds race at old Riverfront stadium. He had to keep rotating who he'd make bets with, though, because he won nearly every bet he made. People got suspicious and found out he was going to the scoreboard operator before the games and asking which "race" the operating was going to play and getting the winner beforehand.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I hate all races, t-shirt shooting guns, wacky mascots, etc. and everything else that distracts from the true beauty of the game. The speed in which it's played, the beautiful (usually) field, the sounds-like bat meeting ball. However, I realize that kids don't usually find baseball exciting enough to watch on it's own in this Playstation world. My 3 and 4 year old don't and I also realize I'm old. Get outta my yard!
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Headed South

I am so pleased that this is a thread.

Frankly, my friends and I lament the passing of the old Mr. Reds' Race pretty much every single game we go to (usually ten or twelve a summer, up until this one). It is an almost universal sentiment among my friends (ages 20-24) that there should be some bringing back of the old Mr. Reds' race - maybe once a week?

I don't feel strongly about a lot of things like this, but this is one of them. Bring back the old Reds' race and let me cheer #1 on to victory!

The art of losing isn't hard to master.

- e.b.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    The Big Red Smokie graphic and the "Walks Will Haunt (Oooooooooooooh)" graphic were my favorites.
    They show them at GABP.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 18-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

They've been running the old Big Red Smokey bit at the new yard. I've seen it a couple of times this year. I don't think they play the old organ music with it like they used to...which is a shame.

Also, I look for Rosie to be implicated in this latest steroid fuss. Have you seen the stats from this year's races? She's kicking some serious butt!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    True story about the old Mr. Reds race setup that I heard: Pete Rose used to place $20 wagers with other people in the dugout on the outcome of the Mr. Reds race at old Riverfront stadium. He had to keep rotating who he'd make bets with, though, because he won nearly every bet he made. People got suspicious and found out he was going to the scoreboard operator before the games and asking which "race" the operating was going to play and getting the winner beforehand.
    This is too funny! I used to joke that this was why Rose couldn't unequivocally say he didn't bet on baseball because he was betting on the Mr. Red race!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    They've been running the old Big Red Smokey bit at the new yard. I've seen it a couple of times this year. I don't think they play the old organ music with it like they used to...which is a shame.

Also, I look for Rosie to be implicated in this latest steroid fuss. Have you seen the stats from this year's races? She's kicking some serious butt!
    I called my daughter in DC to tell her that Rosie had won, but only after she'd turned into Wonder Woman. She said she'd never seen Rosie win and she shouldn't have to turn into a superhero to beat those two.

Turn Off Ads?