Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA Finals: Mavs/Heat

Re: NBA Finals: Mavs/Heat

Consipracy alert:
    Game Seven of the NBA Finals is the only game of the season not predetermined by David Stern.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I dont have a thread but a reporter from Miami wrote in his column that Mark Cuban yelled at David Stern "your league is rigged" along with a few other choice words. I think that the NBA is such a joke. I know this is stupid but I think that the league not only prefers the large market teams/superstars win the championships. I have seen the phantom calls year after year as a Pacer fan in the eastern coference finals and now am witnessing the same things in the finals against Dallas. The league is a joke and is as valid as the WWE.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Bill Simmons is fired up about the NBA Finals...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060620

(I'd cut and paste but its pretty long)
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    I dont have a thread but a reporter from Miami wrote in his column that Mark Cuban yelled at David Stern "your league is rigged" along with a few other choice words. I think that the NBA is such a joke. I know this is stupid but I think that the league not only prefers the large market teams/superstars win the championships. I have seen the phantom calls year after year as a Pacer fan in the eastern coference finals and now am witnessing the same things in the finals against Dallas. The league is a joke and is as valid as the WWE.
    Yeah right. David Stern has kept Indiana from winning the Championship all of these years. And San Antonio is a "large market" team. And Detroit has lots of superstars. And the moon landing took place in a TV studio. Sour grapes supported by no facts.

And it wasn't a "phantom call", the foul was just called on the wrong guy.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2..._wade2_412.jpg

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm not real big on the NBA...but that Dwyane Wade is something else!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Yeah right. David Stern has kept Indiana from winning the Championship all of these years. And San Antonio is a "large market" team. And Detroit has lots of superstars. And the moon landing took place in a TV studio. Sour grapes supported by no facts.

Detroit is a large market and San Antonio has superstars. A small market team can win the championship if they have superstars. Its just my theory and if you watched the eastern conference finals as a Pacer fan against the Knicks twice and the Bulls once and witnessed the one sided officiating and witnessed the dog eared corner lottery selection the year that Ewing was the top pick you too would have concerns.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman

That's a deceiving angle. He was not hit by anyone. But you are right, they did call the foul on the wrong player. Did you see Wade push Jason Terry to the ground?

What amazes me the most about that play was two referees with perfect position under the net did not make the call but rather the trailing referee who was at mid-court!

Fron Simmons' article:

Speaking of the refs, Game 5 of the Finals took its rightful place alongside Game 7 of the Seattle-Phoenix series in 1993, Game 6 of the Kings-Lakers series in 2002, Game 5 of the Knicks-Celtics series in 1973 and some of the other famous entries in the Pantheon of One-Sided Officiated Games. We're running some e-mails in a sidebar (look to the right), but you know it's bad when the owner of the losing team runs out onto the floor to stare down the commissioner after the game -- the last time that happened at a sporting event, Vince McMahon was involved.

(FYI: In today's Miami Herald, Greg Cote writes that Cuban was screaming profanely at referee Joe DeRosa right after the game, "then turned to Stern and other NBA officials who were seated at the scorer's table and was overheard to shout venomously in the jubilant din, '[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!'" Remember when I wrote that, on a scale of 1-to-10 about being excited for the moment when Stern handed Cuban the trophy, I was a 35? Now I'm a 72. Although Cuban did deny saying this on his blog.)

I tackled this in a Cowbell blog last year, but it's worth rehashing again: The NBA doesn't fix games. That's impossible. And stupid. It could never happen. (Well, except for the Hubert Davis game -- that was fixed. Just kidding. Kind of.) A few months ago, I looked David Stern in the eye and asked him about the ongoing officiating problems, and he seemed agonized enough about it that I actually believed him. Unless he was pulling a DeNiro-level acting performance on me. Which I doubt. But there are three major problems here.

First, Dwyane Wade shot as many free throws (25) as the entire Dallas team in Game 5. I just don't see how there's any way this can happen in a fairly-called game. It's theoretically impossible.

Second, everyone knew the officiating would be a problem heading into this series because of Cuban's past problems with the league. In my Finals preview, I wrote that "No team depends on the refs quite like the Heat. When the refs are calling all the bumps on Shaq and protecting Wade on every drive, they're unstoppable. When they're calling everything fairly, they're eminently beatable. If they're not getting any calls, they're just about hopeless. I could see the refs swinging two games in Miami's favor during this series, possibly three. In fact, I'm already depressed about it and the series hasn't even started yet." Well, we had our two games -- Game 3 (the last five minutes were just obscene) and Game 5 (again, a top-five debacle). And the series isn't over yet.

Third, here's a theory on referees that I described in a blog last spring:

"I don't think the NBA fixes games, but they have one trick that they use for situations like this -- when they want a home team to win the game, they invariably assign the worst referees possible to that game for two reasons: Bad referees have a tendency to get swayed by the home crowd, and bad referees never have the stones to make a tough call on the road. In a related story, I went to 35 Clippers games this year and kept a list of the referees in my pocket which I also used to follow the referees for any televised games. And yes, the referees in the NBA -- as a whole -- have never been worse. But there were six referees that stuck out as being especially terrible."

Then I went on to list the worst six referees. Here was No. 2 on the list:

"2. Bennett Salvatore -- Always one of the worst, he took it to another level this season. If you see him on the court at the start of the game, get ready for about six technicals, two near-brawls and both coaches having to be restrained by their assistants at various times."

Why is this relevant? Not only did Salvatore officiate Game 4 of the Suns-Lakers series (the one where Kobe tied it at the end of regulation and won it at the end of OT on two shaky non-calls on Nash, both by Salvatore), not only did Salvatore officiate Sunday night's Game 5 (in which Miami had a 40-12 free-throw advantage at one point), but Salvatore called the foul on Wade's final drive in overtime (remember, the call where ABC couldn't find a replay to show that anyone touched him?) even though he was standing at midcourt a full 35-40 feet from the play, and even though two other refs were closer to the play. Not only was that NOT his call, he butchered it.

Considering I brought this up LAST spring, do you find any of this a little strange? Why aren't the best referees calling these games? Why do the worst ones always seem to get assigned to games in which it would be better for the league if the home team won? Why am I the only one who notices this stuff or seems to care? Why do I find myself watching these games and concentrating more on the one-sided officiating than some of Wade's spectacular plays? As my buddy House e-mailed on Monday morning: "I don't think I can take much more of NBA refs insisting on controlling the outcomes of the most significant games. The NBA is a disgrace and should be completely embarrassed. I hate this game."

And that's coming from one of the last 19 NBA diehards -- I can only imagine what the casual fans thought after watching such a one-sided travesty. Look, we all love Dwyane Wade. He's fantastic. But there's absolutely no scenario in which a 2-guard should be attempting as many free throws as everyone on the other team. It's absolutely unfathomable. And here's what really kills me: If there's a Game 7, you KNOW they'll come up with the best possible officials for that particular game. So why wouldn't every Finals game work like that? We have seven possible games spread over 17 days ... they couldn't pick the best three or four refs and have them work every game, like how MLB picks the best seven umps to comprise the World Series crew? Why wouldn't that work? Is there a single reason you can come up with? Arrrrrrrrgh.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

(FYI: In today's Miami Herald, Greg Cote writes that Cuban was screaming profanely at referee Joe DeRosa right after the game, "then turned to Stern and other NBA officials who were seated at the scorer's table and was overheard to shout venomously in the jubilant din, '[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!'" Remember when I wrote that, on a scale of 1-to-10 about being excited for the moment when Stern handed Cuban the trophy, I was a 35? Now I'm a 72. Although Cuban did deny saying this on his blog.)
    I heard on the radio that Cuban was fined $250,000 by the league for whatever it is that he said or didn't say.

The NBA has some really bad refs. Nobody in San Antonio likes to see Dick Bavetta or Jack Nies officiating a game that the Spurs are playing in.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Detroit is a large market and San Antonio has superstars. A small market team can win the championship if they have superstars. Its just my theory and if you watched the eastern conference finals as a Pacer fan against the Knicks twice and the Bulls once and witnessed the one sided officiating and witnessed the dog eared corner lottery selection the year that Ewing was the top pick you too would have concerns.

What a theory! How could I have missed it? So who was Sturn rooting for last year when the small market team with superstars played the large market team with no superstars? And who is he rooting for this year with two mid-market teams, both with superstars? And the Knicks won how many championships with Ewing? You would think with the rigged lottery pick and the biased officiating and Riley coaching, they could have pulled off at least one win.

Quote Originally Posted by 2844
    That's a deceiving angle. He was not hit by anyone. But you are right, they did call the foul on the wrong player. Did you see Wade push Jason Terry to the ground?
    Do you have any photographic evidence from a "non-deceiving angle? When you grab a guy's arm, its a foul from any angle.

I don't think they pick winners, I just think they pick the number of games that will be played.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    I don't think they pick winners, I just think they pick the number of games that will be played.
    So how many did "they" pick this year, six or seven? I can still email Pinnacle before the second half starts.

The Heat won, just to bring closure to this thread.

I just watched this video the the Dallas fans. I liked the contrast of the Adults blaming the refs and the kids sounding like the mature ones.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1868&catId=342

Turn Off Ads?