Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Kerry Wood back on DL

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Kerry Wood back on DL

According to ESPN's bottom line

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kerry Wood back on DL

He can't be a starter anymore. The Cubs need to make him a reliever and leave it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

He was off of it?
    Go Gators!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wood or Prior traded from Chicago by the end of the year.....even though their value is low from being injury prone.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    He can't be a starter anymore. The Cubs need to make him a reliever and leave it at that.
    yeah, they should do what the Braves did with Smoltz. He'd have to be a better closer than Dumpster.
    "Are you going to go with Black Beard's Delight?"

he has to be able to play before he can be moved to the bullpen
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Ah, everything is finally right in the world again.

Not good...
    Wood's season could be over after suffering setback

CLEVELAND -- Kerry Wood's comeback has hit a snag. Maybe even a season-ending one for the Chicago Cubs right-hander.

Wood

Wood, who has made just four starts following shoulder surgery, said Wednesday that he's concerned that he might not be able to pitch again this year.

"With each passing day, I get more and more doubts," Wood said. "But I have to keep going and try to get through this."

On Tuesday, Wood experienced fatigue during the late stages of a 70-pitch simulated game at Jacobs Field. It was a significant setback because the club had hoped to have him back for a start this weekend.

He's eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list on Thursday, but it now looks like that will be delayed and there's currently no timetable for him to throw again.

Wood said doctors have told him that his shoulder is structurally sound.

"They're pretty sure there isn't any damage," he said.

Following his latest throwing session, Wood said he still had discomfort in the shoulder, which was operated on last August. However, he's not sure why he's unable to throw more pitches without feeling tired.

"I have to figure out when I get to 65 or 70 pitches, it seems to shut down on me," a frustrated Wood said. "I felt great for 60 pitches but I got to that point, and today it doesn't feel too hot."

He had planned to throw on Thursday, but now he's hoping to get back on the mound by Sunday or Monday.

Wood would rather keep pitching and fight through the tiredness than give his shoulder more rest.

"Not pitching hasn't worked real well," he said. "I don't know what I'm going to do."

The Cubs had hoped to have him back for a start this weekend against Minnesota. But until Wood can comfortably throw more than 90 pitches, he will not be activated. That day now seems to be further off than anyone could have imagined.

And with the club holding a $13.5 million contract option on the 28-year-old Wood for next season, there's possibility he may have pitched his final game for the Cubs. Wood's deal includes a $3 million buyout.

Wood, who is 71-55 in his career, began the season on the DL. After being activated, he went 1-2 with a 4.12 ERA in four starts before going back on the injured list June 7. He was on the DL three times last season, the final time on Aug. 30, one day before his surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by billy117
    yeah, they should do what the Braves did with Smoltz. He'd have to be a better closer than Dumpster.
    They should have thought of that before they threw those millions to Dempster then.He has been effective for the pen though.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I agree....I wouldn't mind getting him, as long as he's cheap, and turning him into a closer.

WHOOOOOO!

The Cubs ruined Wood his first few years IMHO. Anything they do or say now is nothing but damage control.
    If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.-Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by flynn78
    The Cubs ruined Wood his first few years IMHO. Anything they do or say now is nothing but damage control.
    That and i believe that his high school coach threw him both ends of a double header when he was in high school. All the innings and pitches add up.

Turn Off Ads?