2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2006 Draft signings thread

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...PORTS/60609009
    June 9, 2006

ADVERTISEMENT
    Reed signs with Reds

By Rod Walker
    rwalker@clarionledger.com

Justin Reed, a fourth round pick by the Cincinnati Reds in Tuesday's Major League Baseball amateur draft, signed a deal with the team this morning.

Reed, who played at Hillcrest as a senior after transferring from Callaway, wouldn't give specifics of the deal.

"I am definitely happy with it though," said Reed, the 114th overall pick. "I will say that it is more than $300,000."

Justin Maxwell, the 114th overall pick in last year's draft, received a signing bonus of $386,000.

Reed leaves Saturday for Sarasota, Fla, to join the Sarasota Reds, Cincinnati's Class A affiliate.

great to see we are actually signing the players we drafted. especially the one that had "other" options
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Do the Reds usually sign draft picks this quick?
    Just wondering because that seems like alot of guys to have already signed in such a short amount of time.

Good to see. 15th rounder Rafael Sanchez was one of the guys I really wanted to see get signed. Baseball America says he has a lot of raw power. I would feel very good about this draft if the Reds can sign some of the wildcards like Sanchez, Lutz, Werhle, and Arneson. Three of the four would be awesome.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Signing Wehrle, the 18th rounder, really could turn this into a well above average draft.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Signing Wehrle, the 18th rounder, really could turn this into a well above average draft.
    Yep. And Lutz. I was watching video on Lutz a little while ago and I came away very impressed. Stick him back in the bullpen and he will probably most fast through the system.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    Sarasota Reds are in the Florida State League (high A), I thought.
    Sorry, my mistake - I thought I saw something on their webpage about the South Atlantic League. I must have misunderstood the link I saw.

All those minor leagues are confusing, especially when they over lap regionally.

ROUND 'EM UP - The Reds haven't yet released a list of their first batch of signees from this year's draft, but one of their top picks made it official Friday.

Center fielder Justin Reed from Jackson, Miss., the Reds' fourth-round pick, told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger his bonus was more than $300,000. Reed had a football scholarship to the University of Mississippi but will shelve those ambitions and join other Reds rookies at a mini-camp set to begin this weekend in Sarasota.

Cincinnati's top draft pick, Texas outfielder Drew Stubbs, is still at least a couple of days away from a deal. Senior director of scouting Chris Buckley said Friday that Stubbs asked for some time to move his belongings from Austin back to his hometown of Atlanta, Texas.

"We're hoping either sometime over the weekend or early next week, we'll really get going on (negotiations)," said Buckley. "I expect we'll move very quickly."

Talks with Stubbs' college roommate Carson Kainer, the Reds' 14th-round pick, were delayed for more painful reasons. The outfielder had his wisdom teeth pulled Friday.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....606100385/1035

Talks with Stubbs' college roommate Carson Kainer, the Reds' 14th-round pick, were delayed for more painful reasons. The outfielder had his wisdom teeth pulled Friday.
    So he'll join the Reds after he's done with the "yanks"....

Sorry, that was horrible....
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz
    So he'll join the Reds after he's done with the "yanks"....

Sorry, that was horrible....
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Do the Reds usually sign draft picks this quick?
    Just wondering because that seems like alot of guys to have already signed in such a short amount of time.
    A lot of these guys already had a deal in place before the draft.

Scouts ask them if we draft you in rounds 10-13 will you sign for X amount.

Any new news? Its been awfully slow after that initial spurt. The first short-season games are getting pretty close.

Has Milton Loo gone anywhere yet? I know we signed him before the draft, just wasn't sure if he was assigned yet or if he is going to rookie camp.

Turn Off Ads?