Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Draft signings thread

Re: 2006 Draft signings thread

I am glad to see that the signings are happening fairly quick. This is especially true at the top Ten rounds left.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 06-15-2006 at 04:11 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cincinnati announced the signing of three more 2006 draft picks: outfielder Keltavious Jones (27th round), third baseman Jason Louwsma (29th) and right-hander Nick Wandless (36th).

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....606160319/1027

Baseball: UTSA players sign deals

Web Posted: 06/16/2006 12:00 AM CDT
    San Antonio Express-News

UTSA's Michael McKennon, Noah Tritz and J.R. Voyles have signed minor league contracts with their respective Major League Baseball teams.

McKennon was selected in the 25th round by the Cincinnati Reds and signed on June 14. He has not yet been assigned to one of the Reds' minor league affiliates.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...t.18614fd.html

Next year Wehrle will be wearing red, but it won't be in a Cincinnati Red uniform. He said no to the Reds' offer and has decided to stay with the Huskers for at least another year.

http://www.lavistasun.com/site/tab6....d=556342&rfi=6

Well, that sucks. Wehrle was one I was hoping they would sign, but I can't say that I'm surprised he is returning to Nebraska. He is only a sophomore afterall, and he will probably be a top 5-10 round pick next year.

Buzz bits

The Cincinnati Reds drafted Ben Ihde, a first baseman/pitcher on the Neenah prep baseball team for the past four seasons, in the 34th round last week.

Ihde, who made the Fox Valley Association's all-conference second team, signed a "watch and follow" agreement with the Reds. Ihde will attend Wabash Junior College in Mt. Carmel, Ill., for a year and compete in baseball. Meanwhile, no other professional team can negotiate a deal with him during that time.

If Ihde has a productive season at Wabash, it's likely he'll sign a deal with the Reds to report to their rookie instructional league in Sarasota, Fla.

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbc...606130626/1892

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Ihde, who made the Fox Valley Association's all-conference second team, signed a "watch and follow" agreement with the Reds.
    Hmmm... I thought draft-and-follow was just a strategy, I didn't realize it was a documented process. Learn something new every day, I guess.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Gentlemen, thanks a ton for posting all of this. Keep it coming.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

OBM, you are the man!

More signings: Cincinnati signed its 2006 11th-round pick, pitcher Brandon Rice from Spalding High School in Georgia and 25th-round selection Luke McKennon, an outfielder from the Univ. of Texas-San Antonio.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

BA has 15th round pick Rafael Sanchez-3b and 17 round pick Chris Hessey as being signed. They talked highly about Rafael Sanchez in there draft day blog.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever
    BA has 15th round pick Rafael Sanchez-3b and 17 round pick Chris Hessey as being signed. They talked highly about Rafael Sanchez in there draft day blog.
    They were one of the first few to sign.

Didn't read the first page. My mistake.

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/g...d18/c95138.jsp
    'The Raptor' ready to join Reds
    06/18/2006 8:58 PM ET
    By Kevin T. Czerwinski / MLB.com

OMAHA -- Danny Dorn's teammates call him "The Raptor," jokingly describing the way the Cal State-Fullerton outfielder runs. While he may look a bit awkward as he moves, there is nothing unwieldy about the results he produces.
    Dorn, whom the Reds selected in the 32nd round of last week's First-Year Player Draft, was one of nine Titans drafted earlier this month. While he was the last to go, it certainly isn't a reflection of what he's been able to accomplish on the field or what he means to the team that staved off elimination Sunday with a 7-5 victory over Georgia Tech at the College World Series.

Cal State-Fullerton advanced to Tuesday's second-round game against the loser of Sunday's Clemson-North Carolina match-up. Though his teammates kid him, it's obvious how integral his role has been in the Titans' success. He's battled back from a shoulder injury that could have cost him the year, and though he hasn't gotten the recognition that some of the other cleanup hitters who have reached Omaha have, it's certainly not from lack of talent.

Dorn, who will report to Cincinnati's Pioneer League affiliate in Billings, Mont., later this month, spent a month out of action earlier this season, sitting from mid-March to mid-April while he rehabbed a dislocated shoulder suffered while sliding into second base. Though he was hitting .317 at the time of the injury, he didn't have any homers and had only nine RBIs.

Since his return, he's hit four homers and driven in 33 runs in 27 games. He was also in the middle of two Titan rallies on Sunday, including the one that produced the decisive runs in the top of the ninth inning. So while he won't get the recognition of someone like Clemson's Tyler Colvin (first round, Cubs), he has no complaints.

"I don't care about the publicity," said Dorn, who is 3-for-8 with four walks and an RBI through two CWS games. "There are so many great players here. If guys are on base, I'm just trying to drive in runs and play the outfield the best I can. All the pub and the press doesn't matter much when you're out there playing."

Dorn's sixth-inning single started the game-tying rally in the sixth on Sunday. He came around to score on a triple by Brandon Tripp (12th round, Baltimore). Clark Hardman brought Tripp home to tie the game at 4-4.

The Yellow Jackets took a 5-4 lead in the bottom of the seventh on Matt Wieters' homer, a shot that a fan grabbed just before it would have settled in Dorn's glove atop the left field wall. Dorn said he never saw the fan.

"I'm not sure if it was fan interference," said Dorn, whose teammate, second baseman Justin Turner, was drafted in the seventh round by the Reds. "Some people say the ball was in my glove. But I hit the wall and I didn't feel anything. It happened so quickly, I didn't think anything of it. The fans were heckling me, but there's really nothing you can do about it. I came down and didn't have the ball in my glove. It was a little disappointing."

The shot seemed to put an end to the Titans' dreams of anther extended CWS run. And when Wieters, who came on to close the game for Tech, recorded the first two outs in the ninth with little trouble, it appeared as if Dorn would be headed to Billings earlier than he had hoped. But a single by Blake Davis and a double by Brett Pill brought Dorn to the plate for his biggest at-bat of the year.

"I was talking to Brett on the on-deck circle when Blake was up and told him they don't want me or you to get up," said Dorn, who lists Barry Bonds among his favorite players because Bonds is "the best there is."

"And the next pitch, Brett strokes a single."

Dorn didn't get the chance to play hero, though, because he was intentionally walked. But pinch-hitter Cory Vanderhook hit a slow chopper over the mound that took a funky bounce, allowing two runs to score and give the Titans a lead they wouldn't relinquish.

"When you're fighting for your life, you do whatever you can," Dorn said. "When I got to first, I looked at the first base coach and said I thought we could do something special."

The Titans and Dorn did just that. And though it delayed Dorn's pro debut by a few more days, he's not worried. He says joining the Reds will be the fulfillment of a lifelong dream, and if it takes a few more days for "The Raptor" to touch down in Montana, so be it.
    This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

This sounds like he must have an agreement in place. Hopefully his teammate Turner our 7th round pick has a similar agreement worked out.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Well, if Dorn was picked that far down, he must not have been particularly highly regarded or toolsy. So get used to seeing him referred to as a "grinder".

He was drafted in the 23rd round I believe last year by Tampa Bay. He decided to come back with Turner to try to win the CWS. He got hurt and was disapointed he was not drafted higher this year. He was excited though that Turner was drafted by the Reds also. I remember the ESPN announcers the other night escpecially Harold Reynolds saying the Reds got a steal in Dorn.

Turn Off Ads?