Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Draft signings thread

Re: 2006 Draft signings thread

This looks like he is wanting to sign.
    http://www.pennlive.com/printer/prin...900.xml&coll=1
    The Reds will follow Lutz' progress in Chatham, where he'll pitch from the bullpen.

"Teams were not likely to use a 10th or even 11th-round pick on someone that could possibly be injured," said Lutz. "They want to be sure and once I get [to Chatham] in the summer, I'll be able to prove to the Reds that I'm definitely 100 percent."

2. Turn Off Ads?

In terms of Turner and Dorn not signing yet, it makes you wonder if the Reds are being fair with these guys. With both of them being seniors and having very little leverage, you'd think they would have signed already.

The only reason I can think of for not signing yet is #1 they want to take a break after a long season or #2 the Reds aren't being reasonable with their bonus money.

Hopefully it's #1.

I wouldn't worry too much about Turner and Dorn just yet. Their season ended less than a week ago. I'd imagine they didn't even start talking until this week.

Hal says the Reds have signed their first ten picks, so that means Turner is now in the fold. He also says the Reds have signed 25 of their top 30 picks, Turner would make number 24. Wonder who the 25th guy is? It can't be Kainer or Wehrle as both have stated they will not sign - that narrows it down to Jamie Arneson(16th), Derrik Lutz(19th), Eddy Rodriguez(20th), or Tony Brown(23rd).

The farm report

The Reds have signed all of their top 10 June draft picks, five of whom are pitchers and 25 of their top 30.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...redsnotes.html

Dorn has also signed according to the Cal State Fullerton board. Both Turner and Dorn will report to Billings.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Hal says the Reds have signed their first ten picks, so that means Turner is now in the fold. He also says the Reds have signed 25 of their top 30 picks, Turner would make number 24. Wonder who the 25th guy is? It can't be Kainer or Wehrle as both have stated they will not sign - that narrows it down to Jamie Arneson(16th), Derrik Lutz(19th), Eddy Rodriguez(20th), or Tony Brown(23rd).
    With Arneson and Lutz out playing summer league ball trying to impress the Reds and the unlikelyhood of signing a HS player beyond the 20th rd, I'd say Rodriguez is most likely signed.

With that being said, I hope it's either Lutz or Arneson.

Well the wait is finally over as Turner and Dorn have shown up on the Billings roster.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...=true&sid=t513

Even better news...Arneson is in the fold!

CINCINNATI REDS-Agreed to terms with 2B Justin Turner, LHP Jamie Arneson and OF Danny Dorn.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Reds sign three more draft picks
    06/29/2006 4:36 PM ET
    Cincinnati Reds Media Relations

CINCINNATI - The Reds today signed their seventh, 16th and 32nd-round draft picks. The Reds have signed the top 13 picks and 16 of the top 17.
    This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

16 474 Jamie Arneson lhp Bakersfield (Calif.) CC CA signed today. This is great news.

That is terrific news. Arneson has a chance to be a steal. Anytime you can add a 6'5" lefty with good velocity... you do it.

He struck out 102 batters in 81 innings this season. Here is a tidbit on his last start (June 18):

San Luis Obispo starter Jamie Arneson was not involved in the decision despite blanking the Sox (9-6 overall, 5-5 CCL) through seven innings and striking out 10. The lefty out of Bakersfield Community College retired 11 straight at one point before Monterey tied it with three runs (two unearned) off reliever Lee Taylor in the eighth.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/san...s/14847324.htm

Now sign Lutz and I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    That is terrific news. Arneson has a chance to be a steal. Anytime you can add a 6'5" lefty with good velocity... you do it.

He struck out 102 batters in 81 innings this season. Here is a tidbit on his last start (June 18):

San Luis Obispo starter Jamie Arneson was not involved in the decision despite blanking the Sox (9-6 overall, 5-5 CCL) through seven innings and striking out 10. The lefty out of Bakersfield Community College retired 11 straight at one point before Monterey tied it with three runs (two unearned) off reliever Lee Taylor in the eighth.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/san...s/14847324.htm

Now sign Lutz and I'll be happy.
    What is the scouting report on Arneson?

http://reds.mostvaluablenetwork.com/...draft-roundup/[url]
    16. Jamie Arneson, LHP, Bakersfield (Calif.) CC
    6′5″/195#, L/L, Age 20

“Struck out 102 batters in 81 innings this season.”

“For Arneson, his 16th-round selection came as a disappointment considering his high expectations entering the draft. The lefty, who helped the Renegades to their first outright conference title since 1976, was chosen in the 9th round out of high school and Arneson had hoped to improve on that.

The 6-foot-5 prospect may have scared off interested teams, though, after switching agents the night before the draft.

“I knew it would be a bit of an issue,” he said, “but I didn’t know it would be this big.”

But Arneson still has college eligibility remaining and a scholarship to play for Mike Martin at Florida State if he so chooses. This summer will be spent pondering options and trying to convince the Reds he’s worthy of more money than the average 16th-round pick.

“I’m probably going to play in the Cape Cod league and just show them what I can do and see what they say then,” Arneson said.”

And guess what: Arneson signed at the end of June? Apparently money talks. Or something did.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 06-29-2006 at 09:32 PM.

John Touchston, He was our 35th round pick. On BA is says that he could have been a early round pick but had arm trouble in the back part of the season. He sign with Houston and they said they he could be a premium talent come 2009. Maybe the Reds should offer him some money. He pitched 94 last summer.

These are the players that are unsigned and who have not stated they would not sign. I put hope we can sign by the players that would be great steals to sign. I would be in favor of signing any of the others. I also put status if in Cape Cod or draft and follows.
    19 564 Derrik Lutz rhp George Washington DC (Cape Cod League)(Signed)
    20 594 Eddy Rodriguez c Miami FL (I hope he signs)(Signed)
    23 684 Tony Brown of Crestview (Fla.) HS FL
    31 924 Eric Schaler rhp Dallas Baptist TX (Signed)
    33 984 Justin Curry rhp Buford (Ga.) HS GA (Draft and Follow)
    34 1014 Ben Ihde 1b Neenah (Wis.) HS WI (Draft and Follow)
    35 1044 John Touchton rhp Kingwood (Texas) HS TX (I hope he signs)
    37 1104 Jarrod Gaskey of Azle (Texas) HS TX
    38 1134 Trevor Coleman c Dripping (Texas) Springs HS TX
    39 1164 Todd Waller 3b Cape Coral (Fla.) HS FL
    40 1194 Tyler Dewitt of Ponderosa HS, Shingle Springs, Calif. CA
    41 1224 Jeremy Erben rhp New Braunfels (Texas) HS TX (I hope He signs)
    42 1254 John Housey rhp Nova HS, Davie, Fla. FL
    43 1283 Geraldo Leal rhp Mission (Texas) HS TX
    44 1312 Jason Chapman of Truckee (Calif.) HS CA
    45 1341 Mike Lachapelle lhp Sahuaro HS, Tuscon, Ariz. AZ
    46 1370 Jordan Tiegs rhp Sauk Valley (Ill.) CC IL (Draft and Follow)
    47 1398 Frueny Parra c Connors State (Okla.) JC OK (Draft and Follow)
    48 1426 Jordan Shadle ss Green River (Wash. ) CC WA (Draft and Follow)
    49 1454 Cameron Bayne of St. Louis HS, Honolulu HI
    50 1482 Blake Benveniste 3b Chaminade Prep, West Hills, Calif. CA
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 01-05-2007 at 11:47 PM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Gallen and OBM,

Thanks for all your hard work. This stuff is really nice to read.

Turn Off Ads?