Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the Golfers out there....I just got myself a new Driver

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

For the Golfers out there....I just got myself a new Driver

I know there are quite a few Golf fanatics that prowl the boards.

Got as a gift today a brand spanking new driver, a King Cobra 460cc F-Speed 10.5 degree Driver.

I've long been a proponent of using my 3 wood off the tee, mainly because my previous driver, a late 90's Ping Si, had an uncanny knack for locating the middle of the fairway to our immediate right. However, I could always hit my 3 wood long and straight, so I checked my ego and my scores kept dropping.

But I was eyeballing my Dad's new Cobra Driver a few weeks ago when we went out, and he let me try it on the 18th hole where I was able to drive it 280 off the tee box, easily my longest yet, and I was doing cartwheels. So it was an awesome surprise gift.

Took it out and smacked some this afternoon and I have to say I'm a huge, huge fan.

Anyone else getting any new golf toys of late?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Re: For the Golfers out there....I just got myself a new Driver

At this point, I'm investing in a used driver. I can't hit a driver anywhere near the fairway I am supposed to be on and use either a utility club or 3-wood off the tee. So I'm buying a quality used driver that I can work with on the range to see what I can do with it. I'm actually thinking of buying another utility club with less loft to see how much distance it will add. If you don't have one yet I would suggest a Taylormade Rescue Mid, extremely easy to hit and for a high-handicapper like myself hitting my second shot from the fairway rather than the trees makes golf more enjoyable and lowers my score. I know what some folks say about hybrids, I have no problem checking my ego and staying in play
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I'm far from good. When I turned 30, back in 2001, my wife took me to Galyans in Chicago and let me pick out my own set of clubs (to replace the hand-me down set mish-mash I got from my dad and grandfather that was much older than I was). I ended up with Tommy Armour irons, a Taylor-made 10.5 driver, Adams Tight-Lies 3 and 5, a Cleveland Golf "Trusty Rusty" sand wedge and a Taylor-made "Nubbins" putter.

Since I got clubs, the Tight-lies were easily the clubs I hit the best. I've hit them well off the fairways and in the rough. The only problem is that they're a bit more difficult to hit off of a tee, because the design often causes me to get too far under the ball when it's on a tee. So I've had to use my driver off the tee a lot.

For the past few years, I've been able to play slightly more. For a while, I would just hit poorly with the driver and try to save the whole on the second shot with the Tight-Lies. For the past year, I've started hitting my driver fairly well. Well enough to actually start hitting with authority off the tee.

If this keeps up, I can stop worrying about my drives and just focus on club selection, pitching, chipping, putting, and just about everything else that is wrong with my game.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Bought a 9.5 lofted Nike driver and a 60 degree Nike wedge late last season. Like them both quite a bit this year. The 60 degree is saving me a stroke or two a round without a doubt.

GL

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I know there are quite a few Golf fanatics that prowl the boards.
    Got as a gift today a brand spanking new driver, a King Cobra 460cc F-Speed 10.5 degree Driver.

I've long been a proponent of using my 3 wood off the tee, mainly because my previous driver, a late 90's Ping Si, had an uncanny knack for locating the middle of the fairway to our immediate right. However, I could always hit my 3 wood long and straight, so I checked my ego and my scores kept dropping.

But I was eyeballing my Dad's new Cobra Driver a few weeks ago when we went out, and he let me try it on the 18th hole where I was able to drive it 280 off the tee box, easily my longest yet, and I was doing cartwheels. So it was an awesome surprise gift.

Took it out and smacked some this afternoon and I have to say I'm a huge, huge fan.

Anyone else getting any new golf toys of late?
    I'm a Golf Professional in the Philly area, so you're right in my wheelhouse.

I was on staff with Cobra at the beginning of the year, but I must say, I was very disappointed with their new speed series. I was using the X Speed series Driver (8.5 degrees) and 3+ Fairway wood, Comp Fairway 5 wood and the new forged FCB Irons 3-PW, and had like a 53 degree wedge and a 60 degree wedge that matched the set.

The irons I liked, mainly b/c of the shaft (Project X Rifle 6.5), but I never felt comfortable over any of the woods b/c they all looked like they had dimples on the back end of the club.

Previously, I was on staff with TaylorMade, so I scrapped all the Cobra stuff and I'm now back to all my TM gear except the wedges. I'm rockin the Cleveland CG 10s with the Black Pearl finish.

Have you hit any other drivers lately than your Pops Cobra? The new Cobras are the most forgiving Driver on the market right now with their 9 areas of sweet spot, and IIRC, they test out as one of the top 3 hottest faces along with the Nike Sasquatch and I think the Callaway FT3.

Two golfers were out playing a round one day and they were talking about their spouces:

First Golfer: Yeah, I just got a new driver for my wife.

Second Golfer: Wow! Nice trade!

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Two golfers were out playing a round one day and they were talking about their spouces:

First Golfer: Yeah, I just got a new driver for my wife.

Second Golfer: Wow! Nice trade!

Rem
    During our weekly Lamaze class, the instructor emphasized the importance of exercise, hinting strongly that husbands need to get out and start walking with their wives. From the back of the room one expectant father inquired, "Would it be okay if she carries a bag of golf clubs while she walks?"

. . .

A guy stood over his tee shot for what seemed an eternity; looking up, looking down, measuring the distance, figuring the wind direction and speed. He was driving his partner nuts. Finally his exasperated partner says, "What's taking so long? Hit the blasted ball!"

The guy answers, "My wife is up there watching me from the clubhouse. I want to make this a perfect shot."

"Forget it, man. You don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of hitting her from here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    I'm a Golf Professional in the Philly area, so you're right in my wheelhouse.

I was on staff with Cobra at the beginning of the year, but I must say, I was very disappointed with their new speed series. I was using the X Speed series Driver (8.5 degrees) and 3+ Fairway wood, Comp Fairway 5 wood and the new forged FCB Irons 3-PW, and had like a 53 degree wedge and a 60 degree wedge that matched the set.

The irons I liked, mainly b/c of the shaft (Project X Rifle 6.5), but I never felt comfortable over any of the woods b/c they all looked like they had dimples on the back end of the club.

Previously, I was on staff with TaylorMade, so I scrapped all the Cobra stuff and I'm now back to all my TM gear except the wedges. I'm rockin the Cleveland CG 10s with the Black Pearl finish.

Have you hit any other drivers lately than your Pops Cobra? The new Cobras are the most forgiving Driver on the market right now with their 9 areas of sweet spot, and IIRC, they test out as one of the top 3 hottest faces along with the Nike Sasquatch and I think the Callaway FT3.

All good stuff HLM21 - I actually did try a few others.

I tend to have a ever so slight fade to my driver, but it seemed most drivers were so draw bias that it was a huge overcorrection. That's how it seemed to me with the TaylorMade R7 & new FT Callaway drivers. That's why I waited so long to get a new one. I did really like the new MacGregor NV2 MacTech driver. That was really the only consideration I had besides the Cobra driver, but the Cobra in my mind had such a jump that it made all the difference.

The success I had with my Baffler Hybrid sealed the deal in my mind as well, similiar faces and sounds. I'm a big sound guy.

I do like the new Taylor Made hybrids though, just like the one Iowa Red mentioned up above. I looked long and hard the other night at a 5 hybrid, although I decided against it. The ball really jumps off that club. That will probably be next club purchase, and last for a good long while. For the longest stuff TM products just didn't interest me in the slightest, but they have come a long, long way.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 06-13-2006 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Bought a 9.5 lofted Nike driver and a 60 degree Nike wedge late last season. Like them both quite a bit this year. The 60 degree is saving me a stroke or two a round without a doubt.

GL
    Oh I fully agree about the Lob wedge. I dropped my 8 iron, and went to a four wedge system around Christmas, with a 46, 50, 54 & 58, and that 58 gets a lot of use. Dropped several strokes a round alone on wedge play the last few months.

One of my good friends at work who is a scratch golfer made me that recommendation, and I've passed it along to everyone since. He said - 'make 100 yards to the green your office, you should own that area'. Well, he didn't say office, he said something else that is unprintable on a family board. But I've tried my best to do so.

I'm relatively tall for a golfer (6'5") so consequently I had to add inches to the shaft of my irons. I got a nice set of Titleists Irons 3-W and a long putter.

I absolutley cannot hit with a driver. I don't know if I curl up too much, or since my extended shafts have got me to swing correctly, etc. I usually just hit my 3 iron off the tee which, depending on the hole, leaves me another 3-iron or a 5-iron to the green. (Or 3, 3-iron shots on the long par 5's)

I'm more of a social golfer than a pro, but I like playing.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I asked my caddy if I could get a five iron to the green, and he replied... eventually
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I just got myself a new Driver
    My favorite driver is this one.

For all you D&D players out there, I picked up Fiendish Codex I and Stormwrack on my lunch break.

I think golf is silly.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    All good stuff HLM21 - I actually did try a few others.

I tend to have a ever so slight fade to my driver, but it seemed most drivers were so draw bias that it was a huge overcorrection. That's how it seemed to me with the TaylorMade R7 & new FT Callaway drivers. That's why I waited so long to get a new one. I did really like the new MacGregor NV2 MacTech driver. That was really the only consideration I had besides the Cobra driver, but the Cobra in my mind had such a jump that it made all the difference.

The success I had with my Baffler Hybrid sealed the deal in my mind as well, similiar faces and sounds. I'm a big sound guy.

I do like the new Taylor Made hybrids though, just like the one Iowa Red mentioned up above. I looked long and hard the other night at a 5 hybrid, although I decided against it. The ball really jumps off that club. That will probably be next club purchase, and last for a good long while. For the longest stuff TM products just didn't interest me in the slightest, but they have come a long, long way.
    I hear ya about being a sound guy, no pun intended. That's the biggest reason I can't stand the Callaway FT3 with it being a composite. It has zero resonance, and sounds like you're hitting an empty coke can. I hit it a ton, and with the neutral face can work it both ways, but I just can't get by the sound, or lack thereof.

You're correct that most drivers on the market do have a draw bias. Some do it with internal weighting in the head, others do it by just having a closed club face. Most club manufacturers that offer a "Tour" model of a specific driver do so b/c most "Tour" models are actually slightly fade biased or just have an open club face at address. It does kinda crack me up with all the different versions of the same driver. Case in point, the Callaway FT3. They offer 6 different versions of the same damn club. Draw, Neutral, Fade in the normal model, and Draw, Neutral and Fade in the Tour model, although for Callaway's Tour model of the FT3, they don't do 1/2 degrees of loft, just full degrees, but I'm sure you get the point.

I have 3 different of the old TaylorMade Rescue Mids, but I don't like the new models at all with the MWT (Moveable Weight Technology). I don't mind the moveable weights on my R7, but I don't need it at all with my hybrids.

If you're going all the way down to a hybrid 5, do you struggle with your long irons? I had a problem with distance control with my 3,4,5 irons, so now I just go with a rescue 2, rescue 4, and then the 5 iron. Works well for me.

Oh I fully agree about the Lob wedge. I dropped my 8 iron, and went to a four wedge system around Christmas, with a 46, 50, 54 & 58, and that 58 gets a lot of use. Dropped several strokes a round alone on wedge play the last few months.
    I'm still old school and subscribe to the 3 wedge system. With the lofts you listed, I'd get rid of the 50 and 54, and just use a 52 in their place. This is largely due to the differing bounce angles and the different soles that those respective wedges will have. 46 is pretty strong lofted for a PW by about 2 degrees, and you're kinda on either side of the typical SW loft with the 54 and the 58. I'm guessing you probably use the 58 more out of the sand? Better to have more loft out of the sand anyway. I'm curious, what kinda shots do you play with your 46, 50 and 54?

I played in a Pro-Am for a Champions Tour Event last year and got a free Fusion FT-3. I hated the ping and the sound enough to make me sell it on ebay and purchase a Cleveland Launcher in its place. I love the Launcher. I've heard that from lots of people who have hit the FT-3.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?