Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 3 factors that will put us into contention

3 factors that will put us into contention

Mercker
    Belisle
    Claussen

If those 3 can return to last year's performance levels we will contend in September.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 factors that will put us into contention

Claussen is the key. If he starts pitching well, then we will have one solid starting rotation!!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan
    Mercker
    Belisle
    Claussen

If those 3 can return to last year's performance levels we will contend in September.
    I agree. Also if White can turn things around and be more productive on the mound we can be in the hunt. If not I think his days are numbered.

I think Mercker will get it together. He should've re-habed in AAA instead of the parent club. You're right Clausen is the key. If he would just trust his stuff more. If he doesn't turn it around soon he may loose his spot to Mays.

I think another big factor is Wayne Krivsky.

After the DanO years, I think I'll feel better with him at the helm come deadline time.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Krivsky and Castellini are the big factor, imo. A GM who has an eye for talent and an owner who is willing to put production ahead of dollars. I hope that means he's willing to put more payroll into an acquisition at the deadline. I'm betting it does.

Other factors: The bench. In 2002 and 2004 when the Reds started hot the bench sucked. Now there is depth. Freel, Aurilia, Valentin, Ross, Deno at AAA - that ain't bad.

Starters - Harang and Arroyo give the Reds a 1-2 that's been as effective as anybody's while Claussen, Milton and Ramirez are decent as end of rotation starters. Good enough to be 2nd behind LA as a rotation in era. When was the last Reds' team 2nd in starter's era? There's even a little depth for the end of the rotation with Belisle and Mays although nobody can replace those big 2 in front. They must stay healthy.

Bullpen - Here is where K needs to make a move as soon as he can. Mercker needs to get back healthy and at his age there's no guarantee. Hammonds and Weathers are okay but hardly lights out. Coffey is getting better overall but he's the only guy I have any faith in when the game is close and he can't pitch every day. Think of this - if the Reds bullpen was even close to the starter's in performance how many games would the Reds have won? I can think of about 10 right off the top of my head that the bullpen has blown. Given that even the best blow a lead sometimes, that should leave 5 or 6 additional wins. Give the Reds a really good arm in the pen Mr. K and they can win this.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan
    Mercker
    Belisle
    Claussen

We're probably gonna get the same out of Claussen that we got last year - which is same-o same-o. I expected better then that though.

Krivsky realizes our BP woes. That is why he is out there "fishing" right now, and why we have Yan. At this stage of the season, it's harder to find much BP help. It's pretty much gonna be situations, such as Yan and Mays, where guys are tendered/released by other teams, and you decide, because you need to do something, to take a chance on them.

IMO - guys like White, Mercker, and maybe even Shackelford need to be gone.... or at least trying to find suitable replacements ASAP.

But right now with our BP it's basically a "trial and error" approach of plugging someone in and keeping fingers crossed.

It use to be we had a solid BP to cover the butts of a morbid SP. Now it seems to be the other way around.

But it's easier to correct a BP then it is to find solid starters. And I'm impressed with the likes of Arroyo, Harang, and Milton.

There is where the key lies IMO.

And as long as the Lizard can keep us in games (and he has), then we'll be in the thick of it IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?