Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Attn Reporters: Asking the Royals tough questions gets your press pass revoked

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Attn Reporters: Asking the Royals tough questions gets your press pass revoked

Wow - the black hole that is Kansas City professional baseball just keeps getting worse and worse

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Royals revoke credentials from two radio reporters
    By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Two reporters who asked contentious questions at a news conference introducing Dayton Moore as Royals general manager had their credentials revoked Friday.

Bob Fescoe of WHB and Rhonda Moss of KCSP, competing sports-talk radio stations in Kansas City, said they were informed by public relations director Aaron Babcock that their credentials were taken away. Both said when they asked Babcock why the team had taken the action, he said he didn't know.

David Witty, the Royals vice president for communications and marketing, said the credentials were withdrawn for the remainder of the season. He declined further comment when reached by The Associated Press.

"All I can say is their credentials were revoked. That's all I will say," Witty told the AP.

Chad Boeger, the president of WHB, couldn't immediately be reached. Allan Davis, operations manager for Entercom, the parent company of KCSP, declined comment.

Fescoe and Moss have reputations for asking tough, confrontational questions of players and management of the Royals and Kansas City Chiefs, teams they cover on a full-time basis. Fescoe is also co-host of a sports talk show for three hours every weekday morning.

At the news conference Thursday, the two grilled owner David Glass on the way he handled the dismissal of former general manager Allard Baird.

Glass appeared to become irritated and told Moss at one point that her assessment of the situation was "completely wrong."

Moss has covered the Royals for KCSP for almost three years. Also during the news conference, she appeared to rankle Dan Glass, the team president and owner's son, when she asked him what his role was in running the baseball operations.

Moss said she called Major League Baseball and was told nothing could be done.

"They said it's up to the individual teams," she said. "I'm not done with this. It's far from over."

Fescoe, 29, has covered the Royals since June 2003.

"Rhonda and I were pulled on the same day, obviously because of the questions we asked at the Dayton Moore news conference," Fescoe said. "As far as I'm concerned, I'm a reporter. I'm out there trying to find out the story of what's going on."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Attn Reporters: Asking the Royals tough questions gets your press pass revoked

Note to the Royals: Everyone already knows your inept, now we can add petty as well
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Attn Reporters: Asking the Royals tough questions gets your press pass revoked

So, what are the questions that were asked?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Not like people don't see how they handled it was classless, even the sporting news has a little blurb about it.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It's interesting to note that the two reporters in question were radio talkers.

For the sake of comparison, I doubt that too many tears would be shed around these parts if this happened to Andy Furman or the Two Angry Guys. But AFAIK, they've tended to be more harsh on players than management. What happened in KC is an illustration of what can happen if you make an owner look foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    So, what are the questions that were asked?
    Probably something along these lines: "Is your current GM pleased with the fact that your organization is openly lobbying for his replacement throughout league circles without ever discussing his current contract status with him in person?"

...or some reasonable facsimile thereof.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Glass incompetence now has credentials

JASON WHITLOCK
    The Kansas City Star

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14785160.htm

Thursday won’t be the last time the Glass family’s incompetence ruins Dayton Moore’s day.

In fact, David and Dan Glass topped their Thursday performance with an act of incompetence Friday that makes Thursday’s silliness seem brilliant.

Still irritated that their unveiling of the Royals’ new GM/victim was ruined when two radio reporters decided to ask David Glass about the firing of Allard Baird, “D and D” — which does not stand for Dumb and Dumber — allowed the Royals’ media flack to strip WHB’s Bob Fescoe and KCSP’s Rhonda Moss of their credentials.

You got it. The worst franchise in professional sports thinks it’s wise to ban two media representatives who still take the franchise seriously. I wish I were making this up.

The Royals turned Fescoe and Moss into martyrs, and in the process they exposed the owner and his son as buffoons who don’t have the necessary tummy to lead a Boy Scout group — let alone a major-league franchise.

If Dayton Moore wants to be taken seriously, his first act of business should be restoring Fescoe’s and Moss’ credentials. Either that or Moore should back out of his agreement with the Royals, head back to Atlanta and wait on a legitimate professional organization to hire him. The T-Bones might be looking.

When contacted by The Star, Aaron “Baghdad Bob” Babcock, the Royals’ minister of misinformation, declined to state the Royals’ reason for banning Fescoe and Moss. Babcock simply stated that the Royals have the right to pull the credentials of the electronic media. (It’s virtually impossible for a sports organization to pull a newspaper sportswriter’s credential.)

I’m sure “D and D” would love to blame Babcock for Thursday’s tension-filled, Baird-focused news conference. Had Babcock instructed Moore to sit at the dais alone — without the Glasses — Fescoe and Moss would have been forced to ask the Glasses questions about Baird away from the spotlight.

But David Glass could have diffused the entire situation by exercising a bit of leadership and common sense when Moss opened the question-and-answer portion of the news conference with a Baird question.

“Rhonda, I realize this is your first opportunity to ask me about my decision to dismiss Allard. I’ll be glad to answer those questions at the end of this press conference. But right now, I want to talk about my new GM, and I want the spotlight on Dayton.”

Instead, David Glass turned whiny and defensive. He acted like a man who had been led to believe that the simple act of buying the Royals and “saving Kansas City’s baseball franchise” meant that he never had to answer a difficult public question. Yep, Glass seems convinced his job is to sit back, turn a $20 million-a-year profit, watch the value of the franchise double and triple and cry about the terrible plight of “small market” baseball.

It’s grueling work.

Moss told me Friday that she went through all of the proper channels last week in an attempt to arrange an interview with David Glass.

“I called Bentonville, Ark. I told Aaron Babcock I wanted to interview Mr. Glass,” Moss explained. “I saw Dan Glass last week and asked him if I could interview him about Allard, and he told me no.”

The Glasses have virtually no savvy when it comes to dealing with the electronic media. They are, of course, accessible to sportswriters because they understand the reach and credibility of newspapers. But they don’t understand that this is the new millennium and that you occasionally have to treat radio personalities as journalists.

Fescoe and Moss were simply doing their jobs.

Interestingly, Moss’ management at KCSP is giving her strong support. Fescoe’s support at WHB is mixed. WHB’s afternoon host/owner Kevin “The New Don Fortune” Kietzman spent part of his Thursday show blasting Fescoe and Moss for making Glass uncomfortable on Moore’s special day.

Fescoe declined to comment when I reached him by phone Friday. He’s in pretty much the same position as Dayton Moore. They both better get used to getting thrown under buses by their bosses.

The Royals should have hired DanO. He would have put all the reporters to sleep thanking 76 people.

Seriously, I think Unassisted has an interesting point although I think the Royals handled it poorly. I have no idea what these people are like on their talk shows but I would imagine the comparisons between them and Furman/The Angry Guys is probably apt. The Royals handled this poorly because they made a fuss over two people who, I am guessing, rarely cover the team. They are not beat reporters, they are not columnists and they are not broadcasters on the games. I would bet they only go to a handful of games a year and then only to eat at the buffet. If the Royals had done nothing to these people it would not have been a big story. Now they made themselves look like even bigger jackasses if that was possible.

Yhe difference between the Royals and the Reds is that there are no real lightning rods for criticism in KC except for the owners. Their owners are not local people nor do they have any ties to the community save for the Wal Mart stores. Unlike Carl Lindner, they did not do great things for KC. FOr all his faults as a baseball owner, no one can deny Lindner has done a lot for Cincinnati. That is probably one big reason the talk shows were so easy on him. Plus there were other lightning rods for criticism here from Jr. to Bob Boone to Barry Larkin and Adam Dunn. I cannot think of anyone in KC who is that big of a name that would be able to deflect criticism of ownership.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Wow - the black hole that is Kansas City professional baseball just keeps getting worse and worse

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    Actaully there is a lot that can be done. MLB yields a pretty big stick. A lot of teams try to act like big brother doesn't exist and that they can simply do whatever they want. Wrong answer.

I have a strong suspicion that Pat Courtney was contacted. He typically sweeps these types of things under the carpet. (I have first hand knowledge of this) MLB DOES have control and DOES have the ability to step in. Pat is MLB spokesman Rich Levin's whipping boy. Rich is usually "too busy" to handle these situations. Pat thinks he's pretty cool but he never seems to understand that after all of his smart elleck remarks that you will go over his and Rich's head. Sandy Alderson stepped in and helped me a few years ago. He went so far as to put me on a conference call while he reamed a few people. I have a really good feeling these two will get their credentials back.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

You know, I can sort of see where the Royals might be miffed -- the press conference was to introduce the new GM. Period. That's supposed to be a happy-place sort of deal. But there's a way to do that: The owner steps up, says a few words, introduces the new GM, steps back, the new GM makes a statement and answers some questions, no one else gets near a microphone, have a nice day.

The first piece of Royals' incompetence was for Glass to take questions at all. The second was for throwing a temper tantrum because some media members took the opportunity given them.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    The first piece of Royals' incompetence was for Glass to take questions at all.
    Just the first?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Just the first?
    For that press conference, I meant!
    Not all who wander are lost

The Royals and DanO really need to find each other, it's fate, I tell ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The female half of this duo was on XM yesterday afternoon, and let me tell you, she didn't paint a very sympathetic picture of herself. She seemed arrogant and frankly unintelligent.

This was apparently a presser about Dayton Moore and all questions about other things were not up for discussion at this time yet she kept asking question after question about Baird & Glass' relationship etc even after being instructed that this conference was about Moore [the new] and not the old.

I don't think they were necessarily out of line. If I agree to sit down and talk to you about a certain topic and you keep asking me questions about something else, then chances are I'm not going to sit down with you again.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    The female half of this duo was on XM yesterday afternoon, and let me tell you, she didn't paint a very sympathetic picture of herself. She seemed arrogant and frankly unintelligent.
    Ah... I figured there was "another side" to this story. And just how I pictured it. Not that we know of any troublemakers or rabblerousers in Cincy radio, do we?

And just like RZ... these reporters are there b/c they are allowed there. They are not there b/c it is a God-given right. They pushed the envelope and tried to bring controversy... and lost their PRIVELAGES.

Maybe not good PR by the owner, but well within his rights.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?