Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blabbering heads

Blabbering heads

So I'm watching Baseball Tonight and they do a segment on what's wrong with the Indians. They mention that Paul Byrd and Bob Wickman tussled in the clubhouse and then they bring in Joe Morgan for his two cents.

He says the Indians are a young team that expected to compete and now they need some players to step up and take a leadership role. He then says the Byrd/Wickman dustup is a reflection of a young team that can't handle the tension. He mentions guys like Travis Hafner and Grady Sizemore by name and outright states that veteran leadership is sorely lacking.

After Joe says his peace, the studio crew parrots what he said.

It was probably the most useless, off-point "analysis" of a baseball team I've ever seen. The Indians young hitters are what's keeping the team afloat. The Tribe is third in the AL in scoring (second in runs per game). Meanwhile they've got a 4.96 team ERA largely thanks to veteran pitchers like Byrd and Jason Johnson being unqualified duds. Byrd and Wickman are two of the oldest players on the rosters. Sizemore and Hafner are having All-Star seasons, possibly MVP seasons if the team were in contention (Victor Martinez too). What the Indians need is most of the pitching to have an ERA below 5.00 instead of the current situation where 4/5 of the rotation and half the bullpen is above it.

Veteran leadership ... it's like these guys have all simultaneously gone Rain Man.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blabbering heads

Notice it's usually old player spouting about veteran leadership?

Like they want to make sure other old guys get jobs.
    Go Gators!

I seem to recall that at some point in the mid-1970s, frequently enraged relief pitcher Pedro Borbon and normally mild-mannered centerfielder Cesar Geronimo became engaged in a brawl in a Reds clubhouse that at that time was filled to the brim with veteran leadership.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'll take talented players, Morgan can take veteran leadership. Wager on who ends up in the postseason?
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Did anyone hear Joe's remarks about amphetamines?

He reports that they dint spike the coffe with amps..."that's not how amphetamines work, they come in pill form."

He went on to say that the whole thing was a lie and that it never happened. Now with all that has come out re: amps....does he really believe it never happened? Schmidt and Rose took them ...those are 2 of his best friends when he played, yet, he wants to deny that amps never played a part in the game. He's lost his mind: Joe Morgan for Commissioner!!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    Did anyone hear Joe's remarks about amphetamines?

He reports that they dint spike the coffe with amps..."that's not how amphetamines work, they come in pill form."

He went on to say that the whole thing was a lie and that it never happened. Now with all that has come out re: amps....does he really believe it never happened? Schmidt and Rose took them ...those are 2 of his best friends when he played, yet, he wants to deny that amps never played a part in the game. He's lost his mind: Joe Morgan for Commissioner!!
    I do think the spiked coffee raises a BS flag. Leaded and unleaded normally means with vs. without caffeine. Grimsley seems stupid enough that someone probably told him that it meant with or without greenies when he was a rookie and no one ever told him different, but snickered about it behind his back.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Traderumor: the leaded vs unleaded stories go back to 1969. You may be correct, i've heard the story from numerous sources....maybe it's urban legend.

More than that--Joe's point was there was no amping going on. He buried his head in the sand if he really believes that.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    They mention that Paul Byrd and Bob Wickman tussled in the clubhouse
    What, only one sandwich left on the postgame buffet?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Morgan spends the credibility he accumulated as a player on a daily basis. It won't be long before he runs completely out.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-12-2006 at 11:39 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Joe Morgan: Foot. Mouth. Insert. Repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

As per my Redszone contract, I'm no longer allowed to say anything about Joe Morgan other then "he was a great player in his day".
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I do think the spiked coffee raises a BS flag. Leaded and unleaded normally means with vs. without caffeine. Grimsley seems stupid enough that someone probably told him that it meant with or without greenies when he was a rookie and no one ever told him different, but snickered about it behind his back.
    Leaded and unleaded could easily have a different meaning in the clubhouse than in the corporate world. The semantics of those terms shouldn't matter, especially when other sources have corroborated Grimsley's claims about spiked coffee.

For Joe to say "amphetemines don't work that way; they come in pill form" is ludicrously ignorant. Hey Joe, how do those pills get into the bloodstream? Tiny digestion elves living in your belly?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    For Joe to say "amphetemines don't work that way; they come in pill form" is ludicrously ignorant. Hey Joe, how do those pills get into the bloodstream? Tiny digestion elves living in your belly?
    Of course not, Billy Beane performs voodoo on it...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark
    I seem to recall that at some point in the mid-1970s, frequently enraged relief pitcher Pedro Borbon and normally mild-mannered centerfielder Cesar Geronimo became engaged in a brawl in a Reds clubhouse that at that time was filled to the brim with veteran leadership.
    And a certain manager and a certain reliever from a certain Championship team in the early 90s got into it as well.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Ever since Baseball Tonight quit showing baseball highlights and just showing features and talking heads, the level of the show plummeted.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?