Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Bullpen Is Beyond Description

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

The Bullpen Is Beyond Description

The facts:

Over the series, with what was to the rest of the league, the hapless Cubs took 3 of 4. Our starters, in 26.2 innings, allowed only 22 hits and 10 earned runs. The ERA was 3.43. That's impressive. Four quality starts and a 1-3 record to show for it. Why? Our bullpen logged 9.1 innings, giving up 16 hits and 9 runs. Once reliever, Chris Hammond, pitched two innings and allowed 7 hits and 5 runs.

Although the Reds only scored 17 runs in the series (avg. 4.2) and had only 29 hits (avg. 7), they would have won two of those games had it not been for the bullpen. I'm sure he's working on this, but Krivsky needs to address this now (he should have addressed it earlier of course).

I don't know what to say about the hitting. It mystifies me how a team can be unconscious and bunch together runs one day and not be able to hit a rookie pitcher the next. Someone else will have to figure that one out, but the bullpen is a no-brainer. DFA the junk and reach into the AAA stash for anyone. It couldn't get any worse.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Bullpen Is Beyond Description

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    The facts:

Over the series, with what was to the rest of the league, the hapless Cubs took 3 of 4. Our starters, in 26.2 innings, allowed only 22 hits and 10 earned runs. The ERA was 3.43. That's impressive. Four quality starts and a 1-3 record to show for it. Why? Our bullpen logged 9.1 innings, giving up 16 hits and 9 runs. Once reliever, Chris Hammond, pitched two innings and allowed 7 hits and 5 runs.

Although the Reds only scored 17 runs in the series (avg. 4.2) and had only 29 hits (avg. 7), they would have won two of those games had it not been for the bullpen. I'm sure he's working on this, but Krivsky needs to address this now (he should have addressed it earlier of course).

I don't know what to say about the hitting. It mystifies me how a team can be unconscious and bunch together runs one day and not be able to hit a rookie pitcher the next. Someone else will have to figure that one out, but the bullpen is a no-brainer. DFA the junk and reach into the AAA stash for anyone. It couldn't get any worse.
    Well put. The BP has been embarrassing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Well put. The BP has been embarrassing to say the least.
    which is not a surprise
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Fix it Wayno
    Go Gators!

Unfortunately Clay Carroll, Rawly Eastwick, John Franco, Rob Dibble and Scott Sullivan aren't walking through the door and it doesn't look like the teams that are dropping by the wayside have a lot to offer in terms of bullpen help.

I don't think Krivsky's going to have a legitimate shot at fixing the pen until after the season.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Man Pills

I would really hate to lose sight of the fact that the rotation needs just as much if not more help than the bullpen. Not only for now, but for the long term as well. Particularly when the draft and the minors have a number of interesting bullpen arms but virtually no starters on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I would really hate to lose sight of the fact that the rotation needs just as much if not more help than the bullpen. Not only for now, but for the long term as well. Particularly when the draft and the minors have a number of interesting bullpen arms but virtually no starters on the horizon.
    Bingo.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

let's not forget that austin kearns is partially to blame for chris hammonds sorry totals...

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago
    let's not forget that austin kearns is partially to blame for chris hammonds sorry totals...
    I think Hammond was an illusion in May. It will be scary if he gets more responsibility than he has now.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Unfortunately Clay Carroll, Rawly Eastwick, John Franco, Rob Dibble and Scott Sullivan aren't walking through the door and it doesn't look like the teams that are dropping by the wayside have a lot to offer in terms of bullpen help.

I don't think Krivsky's going to have a legitimate shot at fixing the pen until after the season.
    Yep, the last time the Reds had a reliever that topped a run better than the league average was 2003 and it was Felix Herdia, we were spoiled by the plethora of relievers that Jack rode from 97-2000.

But he had a knack for it and the Reds had young arms to lean on. The current crop of older guys and Coffey won't succeed in piling up the innigs a stud BP does.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I don't see a solution to that in the short term to help this team. The only kind of starter I can see them acquiring is someone who has failed with his current team(Lohse, O. Perez, etc).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Unfortunately Clay Carroll, Rawly Eastwick, John Franco, Rob Dibble and Scott Sullivan aren't walking through the door...
    M2: The tone of your post sounds vaguely familiar....methinks it strongly resembles the intellectual property of a former college/former NBA/current college coach who invoked a similar passage during his now famous "fellowship of the miserable" press conference?

By the way, I agree with both of you wholeheartedly.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Friday night's loss was due to defensive lapses and repeated failure to hit with men on base in close game.

Saturday's loss was partially bullpen (Yan) but also failure to score.

Today the bullpen was horrid but Reds got next to nothing off a AA rookie.

Bullpen is bad and needs bolstering, no doubt. But team has to hit and field and hasn't done that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
    Kansas city Royals Acquired pitcher Brandon Duckworth from the Pittsburgh Pirates for cash considerations; designated pitcher Kyle Snyder for assignment.

New York Yankees Activated pitcher Shawn Chacon from the 15-day disabled list; designated pitcher Scott Erickson for assignment.

Would Snyder and or Erickson be worth a look at this point? I think I would take a chance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5456
    #39 Kyle Snyder | RP
    Proper Name: Kyle Ehren Snyder
    Born: September 9, 1977
    Houston, TX
    Height: 6-8
    Weight: 215 lbs.
    Pronounced: N/A Bats: B
    Throws: Right
    Pos: RP
    Experience: 2 years
    2006 Salary: $N/A
    College: U. of North Carolina REC 0-0 | SV 0 | ERA 22.50 | WHIP 5.50
    SPLIT G IP H R HR BB SO W L Sv P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
    Season 1 2.0 10 9 1 1 2 0 0 0 53.0 5.50 .556 22.50
    Career 29 123.1 159 90 15 32 60 2 9 0 83.5 1.55 .314 5.91
    Last 7 1 2.0 10 9 1 1 2 0 0 0 -- 5.50 .556 22.50
    Projected 3 5 26 24 3 3 5 0 0 0 53.0 5.50 .556 22.50

It looks like the guy is a tall pitcher.

Turn Off Ads?