Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Let's Get Past 2004, Before We Start Thinking 1999

Worth The Wait

Let's Get Past 2004, Before We Start Thinking 1999

At 36-24, I was pretty pumped, just as most you were. And yes, I had some daydreams about the 1999 magic. However, those thoughts were tempered by my memory of 2004, when we got off to a nearly identical start, and then crumbled the rest of the way.

In 2004, we were 34-22, basically the same record through as many games as we had this year. Things were looking good. Then, we had a 7 game losing streak, and even though we bounced back for a few weeks following that streak, we never again we able to regain the ground/momentum we lost. Later in July, we lost 11 of 12 to officially end any hopes. But IMO, that initial 7 game losing streak is what spelled the beginning of the end.........

06-07-2004 at Oakland Athletics 2-13 L 34-23
    58 06-08-2004 at Oakland Athletics 6-10 L 34-24
    59 06-09-2004 at Oakland Athletics 8-17 L 34-25
    60 06-11-2004 at Cleveland Indians 5-6 L 34-26
    61 06-12-2004 at Cleveland Indians 7-8 L 34-27
    62 06-13-2004 at Cleveland Indians 8-10 L 34-28
    63 06-14-2004 at Philadelphia Phillies 7-10 L 34-29

I bring this up because I think it's VERY important to first establish that this is NOT 2004 all over again before we even start thinking about 1999 all over again.

The big difference is that I have a lot more faith in the starters than I did in 2004, but our bats are inconsistent and the bullpen is dreadful, two things that could combine for a losing streak.

Our brilliant road trip gives us some wiggle room to lose 3 in a row to a bad Cubs team, however, we must be able to stop that bleeding NOW. The White Sox loom this weekend, so I think it's best if we get out of our little funk ASAP against the Brewers the next three days.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Let's Get Past 2004, Before We Start Thinking 1999

It was said here at the time, and has been repeated in the past few days, that the 2004 team was doing it with mirrors. I think this team is more "deserving" (for lack of a better word) of it's record than that team was. That being said, it's probably going to be a losing nine-game homestand, so I agree that it's important to stop the bleeding ASAP so as to not erase most or all of the gains made during the winning streak.

One thing I find to be a sad commentary on the recent history of this franchise (and I don't direct this toward you, Ed) is that 1999 is a season that is looked up with nostalgia, and the team didn't even make the playoffs.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

One thing I find to be a sad commentary on the recent history of this franchise (and I don't direct this toward you, Ed) is that 1999 is a season that is looked up with nostalgia, and the team didn't even make the playoffs.
    I see more 2004 than 1999 and mostly it's because of this.

Code:
    ERA vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria

INNINGS PITCHED                 IP        G       ERA    
    1    Scott Sullivan            113.2       79     1.56   
    2    Danny Graves              111         75     1.49   
    3    Scott Williamson           93.1       62     2.16   
    4    Dennys Reyes               61.2       65     0.77   
    5    Gabe White                 61         50     0.14

Funny, when I think of our bullpen, I see.....

"Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    In fairness, though, that 1999 team was better than a lot of teams that have made the playoffs the last few years. Indeed, 96 wins would have been good enough to make the postseason in every year since - and would have been good enough to win the NL central in many of those years.

And that 1999 team was just so much fun. I look at that team with more nostalgia than I do that 1995 team.

Quote Originally Posted by top6
    In fairness, though, that 1999 team was better than a lot of teams that have made the playoffs the last few years. Indeed, 96 wins would have been good enough to make the postseason in every year since - and would have been good enough to win the NL central in many of those years.

And that 1999 team was just so much fun. I look at that team with more nostalgia than I do that 1995 team.
    Couldn't say it better myself. 100% agree
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Worth The Wait

1999 was a much more "fun" year than 1995-- I totally agree.

The 1999 team ran into some incredibly bad luck in terms of how good the NL was that season. If the Pirates could have just scored ONE run in that Mets series or if Marquis Grissom doesn't make that catch........

....or if we beat the brewers
    Go Gators!

.....Or if Davey Johnson had started Kevin Brown instead of that rookie against the Astros.

Oh, what could have been.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?