Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Davis: Move would help Griffey

Davis: Move would help Griffey

Davis: Move would help Jr.
    'Wear and tear' would be less in left or right
    BY JOHN ERARDI | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    The Reds' defense has come under heavy scrutiny recently. Last week, national pundits told The Enquirer that defense is one thing that may keep the team from contending for the division title through late September.

There may not be much the Reds can do in the short term, although some observers have suggested flip-flopping shortstop Felipe Lopez and second baseman Brandon Phillips, right fielder Austin Kearns and center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., or moving left fielder Adam Dunn to first base, Griffey to left and putting Ryan Freel in center. Down the road - if some team overwhelmed the Reds with a No. 1 pitcher and Dunn were to be traded - some people think Griffey would make a Gold Glove-quality first baseman.

But Eric Davis, who is arguably the greatest defensive center fielder the Reds have had, said first base is not easy.

"If you haven't played the infield, first base is a heck of an adjustment - if you're talking about wanting to be good over there," Davis said from his home in Los Angeles. "Ray Knight (then-Reds manager) wanted me to play some games at first base in '96, so I took ground balls for four or five days and then played a game. I was sore for three weeks.

"And (I had been signed) as a shortstop, so I knew what it was to field a hard-hit ground ball. But your muscles get out of practice. I wasn't used to it anymore."

Davis was 34 in '96; Griffey is 36.

Davis believes Griffey would extend his career if he moved to left or right field. Davis said it worked for him.

"I'd like to see (Griffey) switch ... not because he can't cover the ground in center, but because he won't have to continuously cover the ground," Davis said.

Davis played 56 games in left field and 66 in center for the 1990 World Series champion Reds. He began the season in center, went on the disabled list and returned May 21 as a left fielder. He was eight days shy of his 28th birthday.

The difference between the 2006 Reds and the 1990 Reds, however, is that 16 years ago the newly acquired Billy Hatcher (now the Reds' first base coach) was able to slide over to center field without any dramatic upheaval.

"It was a general consensus between me, (then-manager) Lou (Piniella) and (then-trainer) Larry Starr for me to move to left," Davis recalled. "I had a big brace on my knee - I twisted it real bad stealing third base on a muddy night - and we all knew that there'd be less strain on it playing left field, and we were right. ... You do what you have to do depending on what the team needs."

Davis said the key to changing positions is to "not look upon it as a demotion."

"If you don't look at it as a demotion, it takes the ego out of it," Davis said. "And, the truth is, it (switching to a corner outfield spot) will extend (Griffey's) career because it will be easier on his legs. When you play center, you're either involved in or backing up every play, including the left and right fielders. But when you're in left and right, there are plays you're taking off, that you aren't running. That cuts down on the wear and tear."

Davis said there is no doubt in his mind that Griffey would be an outstanding corner outfielder.

"Mostly, it's just a matter of getting used to reading the different angles," Davis said. "It's easier to read the ball in center. And in center, you're in control. In left, I had to back off for Hatcher, because he was an aggressive center fielder. But it's something you get used to the more you're out there."

STATS: Brandon Phillips is 12-for-12 on stolen bases. It is the best start by a Red since Gary Redus went 15-for-15 in 1984. ... Griffey's next home run will be his 548th, tying Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt, and will give the Griffey family 700. Ken Griffey Sr. hit 152.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...20373/1071/SPT
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Davis: Move would help Griffey

Last week, national pundits told The Enquirer that defense is one thing that may keep the team from contending for the division title through late September.
    Well knock me down with a feather.

Davis would know. After all 80% of the world is covered by water. The other 20% by Eric Davis!

John Erardi writes a fluff piece about another guy with an opinion.

I seriously doubt that Junior is going to read that article and suddenly change his mind.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    John Erardi writes a fluff piece about another guy with an opinion.

I seriously doubt that Junior is going to read that article and suddenly change his mind.
    Change his mind? Griffey hasnt been approached by the staff about it. He simply said he wont discuss it with the media.

I really don't feel that Eric Davis is just another guy with an opinion. He went through the move and detailed for the purposes of the article why he made the move. Honestly Griffey is not are biggest defensive liability right now.

Players listen to other players more than they listen to the media or the fans. Much more.

A lot of us have been endorsing a move like this for a few years now. Maybe if people Junior respect start endorsing it, he'll start listening.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Players listen to other players more than they listen to the media or the fans. Much more.

A lot of us have been endorsing a move like this for a few years now. Maybe if people Junior respect start endorsing it, he'll start listening.
    Again..I ask. Listen to who? Us the fans? The media? He said the coaching staff hasnt said anything to him nor has Krivs...

I dont understand "WHO" Griffey is supposed to be listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Again..I ask. Listen to who? Us the fans? The media? He said the coaching staff hasnt said anything to him nor has Krivs...

He should listen to his head. He's not 25 yrs old and a move would help him prolong his career and help the Reds as a team. A Freel/Deno combo in CF, Dunn to 1st and Jr in LF looks enticing.

Junior represents the only defensive liability on the squad; move him and you've basically solved the defensive issues with this club. All a team ever needs to be is defensively competent.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by smith288

Lots of people can see his defensive decline. Objective measurements show it. Lots of people recognize that it's harder on the body to play CF than LF. I'm sure the coaches can see it, too. If they haven't mentioned it, they're just trying to preserve Junior's feelings.

Maybe if the people Griffey respects (i.e. other players) start saying something, Junior will start to listen.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Protecting Griffey's feelings instead of winning (if thats what your saying) ? Im not so sure.

Haunted by walks

It's a good discussion to get out in public when it comes from somebody knowledgable like Eric Davis and not a talk show host. It becomes a lot more thinkable for the coaches and Griffey instead of being such a huge line to cross.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Junior represents the only defensive liability on the squad; move him and you've basically solved the defensive issues with this club. All a team ever needs to be is defensively competent.
    Lopez is a defensive liability as well, as displayed in this past series with the Cubs.

Lopez looks mediocre, but his defense isn't so bad that it nearly cancels his offense.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?