Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Griffey/Dunn beat the shift?

Can Griffey/Dunn beat the shift?

It does not seem that these hitters try to beat the shift by hitting to the opposite field. They seem to pull the ball right into the shift much of the time. Griffey, in particular, hits a lot of balls to the right side, directly into the shift.

I have heard that they should bunt to beat the shift. I don't agree with that. But shouldn't they hit the ball to the left side to try to take advantage?
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-12-2006 at 10:18 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Griffey/Dunn beat the shift?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    But shouldn't they hit the ball to the left side to try to take advantage?
    If it were that easy, they probably would. Of course, maybe it is easy. What do I know, anyway?

And I do think they should bunt more often when the shift is on, if for no other reason than to keep the defense honest. I've seen Junior drop a bunt down the 3B line more than once for a hit when the shift is on.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Dunn has been working on going the opposite way more lately. I believe he had two or three opposite field doubles in Wrigley Field (plus another that was ruled foul when replay showed it looked fair) and an opposite field home run in that series. Now that I looked at his hit chart, six of his seven XBH that year at Wrigley have been to the opposite field. In the recent Cardinal series he doubled to deep left-center and also just missed a HR on a deep flyout to LF. The most recent Cubs series featured an opposite field home run off Greg Maddux on a fastball down and away.

This shows that he is at least trying - this is not something that can be done overnight. Dunn has a lot of work ahead of him in terms of getting away from being a dead pull hitter like the previous regime wanted, and so far I am pleased with how well he has adjusted. His double totals have gone up and home runs are still there. This year can be the learning curve, next year is when I expect Dunn to reap the benefits of working with Chambliss and really seeing his batting average go up as a result of using left field and left-center more often.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I haven't looked at Dunn's chart lately, but ....

it seems to me that when he goes the opposite way, he is hitting the ball in the air. Most, if not darn near all, of his ground balls are towards the right side. Thus the infield shift.

GL

But shouldn't they hit the ball to the left side to try to take advantage?
    Generally when HR hitters with uppercut swings hit the opposite way the ball is hit in the air because they don't roll their top hand. It is extremely difficult for them to hit ground balls the other way. The Cards always put the shift on Casey as well.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    If it were that easy, they probably would. Of course, maybe it is easy. What do I know, anyway?

And I do think they should bunt more often when the shift is on, if for no other reason than to keep the defense honest. I've seen Junior drop a bunt down the 3B line more than once for a hit when the shift is on.
    Agreed.

Griffey has dropped one down here and there, and I think Dunn should do the same, since the last thing they'll expect is Adam Dunn to drop down a bunt when the 3B is playing SS almost. I'm not sure that it will really keep the defense all that honest in the short run, but in the proper situation, Dunn dropping one down may do wonders for future PAs.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Generally when HR hitters with uppercut swings hit the opposite way the ball is hit in the air because they don't roll their top hand. It is extremely difficult for them to hit ground balls the other way. The Cards always put the shift on Casey as well.
    Makes sense. Would think that Griffey could exercise sufficient bat control to beat the shift if he wants to. He is such a good hitter one would expect him to be able to do that. I haven't looked at the numbers but the shift seems to be costing him a lot of hits.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

The defense will be more than happy to see Griffey and Dunn bunting. The only time that seems to be a good idea is when multiple runs are needed late in the game. Otherwise, the pitcher and D are more than happy to see a slugger bunting.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    The defense will be more than happy to see Griffey and Dunn bunting. The only time that seems to be a good idea is when multiple runs are needed late in the game. Otherwise, the pitcher and D are more than happy to see a slugger bunting.
    That's the argument, but I posit that if "the book" on Dunn were to read that he might drop down a bunt, teams will stop shifting on him, and more of his hits will fall in. I don't think you'd have to do it more than once in a series.

And with the shift on, a properly-executed bunt will still put Dunn on base. If a walk is as good as a single, why isn't a bunt single as good as a walk?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    That's the argument, but I posit that if "the book" on Dunn were to read that he might drop down a bunt, teams will stop shifting on him, and more of his hits will fall in. I don't think you'd have to do it more than once in a series.
    I disagree. They are happy to give up the bunt instead of the 2Bs and HRs a guy like Dunn can give you. If Dunn starts to lay down bunts, I doubt the shift goes away. A bunt attempt by Dunn is a win considering the damage he can do if you throw him strikes.

And with the shift on, a properly-executed bunt will still put Dunn on base. If a walk is as good as a single, why isn't a bunt single as good as a walk?
    The difference is that a walk means the pitcher won't throw strikes to you out of fear. Your only alternative is to expand your zone, not a good idea. You are talking a walk over swing at balls. Good trade-off.

However, if you are bunting, the pitcher is willing to throw you strikes. You are now opting for a bunt over attempting to drive the ball. IMO, bad trade-off for a guy like Dunn.

To me there is a Grand Canyon of difference between the two scenarios. One otpimizes the situation, the other .. likely not.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor

Maybe if they bunt they could set the record for most infield singles in a year?

However, if you are bunting, the pitcher is willing to throw you strikes. You are now opting for a bunt over attempting to drive the ball. IMO, bad trade-off for a guy like Dunn.
    Prior to this season Dunn averaged an EBH every 7.8 ab's, Griffey (since 2001) 1 every 8.0

On the other side of the coin Hatteberg with 1 every 13 ab's.

I'll go with depending on Griffey or Dunn getting an EBH over Hatteberg getting one to drive them in from first after they bunt their way on.

Why is this about bunting? Can't a hitter go the opposite way to beat the shift with a grounder or line drive? What ever happened to "hit them where they aint?"

What ever happened to "hit them where they aint?"
    That approach is punch baseball best, played by players with less power and bat control, plus that term played better when players gloves were pieces of rawhide and some string. They also tend to be low strikeout players as well.

Taking it the other way also means that the pitcher is giving you a pitch to take the other way, with a shift on the LH a down and away pitch is a mistake pitch, that's the one that often gets taken the otherway. But assuming that every AB with the shift results in an opportunity to take it the other way also assumes that each pitcher is making the same mistakes that result in the same manner.

Personally I see that approach taking away the power threat and thus making the shift work, whether the player "bunts" or attempts a dink to LF.
    Last edited by westofyou; 06-12-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Why is this about bunting? Can't a hitter go the opposite way to beat the shift with a grounder or line drive? What ever happened to "hit them where they aint?"
    It was rightly replaced by "pick a good pitch to hit the ball hard and the hits will take care of themselves"
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?