Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Griffey/Dunn beat the shift?

Re: Can Griffey/Dunn beat the shift?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Do we have a virus on RZ? It seems every time I go to post in one with the name "Dunn" in it, a message comes back that they're closed

Nope, must be another reason, this one let me post in it
    We only close threads that contain opinions we don't agree with.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    It's not his job to score runs.
    If it was he'd do it in a sloth like lazy manner that threatened the longtime hard working fans of the Reds franchise who have put all their marbles in the "contact despite results is the best sound of the summer" basket.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    It's not what I expect out of Dunn - I'm quite happy with what Dunn gives the Reds now. The question is, if there's a chance that he can produce more, doesn't it behoove the team to find out?
    But is attempting to change an approach in hope of creating more in incriments at the expense of larger portions really producing more?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If it was he'd do it in a sloth like lazy manner that threatened the longtime hard working fans of the Reds franchise who have put all their marbles in the "contact despite results is the best sound of the summer" basket.
    That horse's dead already. Do we have to drag its corpse over here?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Just hit-em where they ain't. Is that so hard?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I want an Oompa Loompa now!

I want the world. I want the whole world. I want to lock it all up in my pocket. It's my bar of chocolate. Give it to me now.

I want a party with roomfuls of laughter, / Ten thousand tons of ice cream, / And if I don't get the things I am after, / I'm going to screeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEAM.

I want it now. What's the matter with those twerps down there?

Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

That horse's dead already. Do we have to drag its corpse over here?
    Glue?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

But is attempting to change an approach in hope of creating more in incriments at the expense of larger portions really producing more?
    I don't think we agree on the expense, though. You say double+ > bunt; of course, I agree. But I also say bunt > making an out in the field due to the shift. And not only because he still gets on base this way, but because teams might stop shifting so much on him.

But lets forget for a moment about trying to convince the opposition that shifting on Dunn is a bad idea. When they pitch to Dunn and he hits it into the shift, it's still an out. Is he more likely to make outs on balls hit when the shift is on? I think the answer is yes.

I don't have numbers to back myself up here, though; and if the numbers say I'm wrong, I'm willing to be wrong.

The question: could Dunn collect more total bases by bunting with the bases empty rather than by hitting into the shift?

We don't know. I think he could.

Edit: removed bold.
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I don't think it would hurt for them to drop a bunt every once in a while to keep the defense honest.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The question: could Dunn collect more total bases by bunting with the bases empty rather than by hitting into the shift?
    Not unless he's a good bunter.

I'm doubting that he is.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Not unless he's a good bunter.

I'm doubting that he is.
    I'm guessing Griffey would be better than Dunn.

I would agree with that.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I would agree with that.
    Stop that.

That.

That agreeing thing. You know it's not allowed here.
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I would agree with that.
    Me too.
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Here was the crapper from last night. Milwaukee wasn't shifting on Griffey, so he hits a weak grounder to Koskie, who was playing a normal third that would have been a hit against the shift. I still think a hitter with Griffey and Dunn's skill set is going to come out ahead to "beat the shift" with SLG % rather than worry about a few more singles from bunting or inside-outing in an attempt to get the D to play more honest. It just isn't that easy to change a hitter's game plan without doing more harm than good.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?