Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can Griffey/Dunn beat the shift?

Re: Can Griffey/Dunn beat the shift?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I still think a hitter with Griffey and Dunn's skill set is going to come out ahead to "beat the shift" with SLG % rather than worry about a few more singles from bunting or inside-outing in an attempt to get the D to play more honest.
    I agree.

:
    Makes all the routine posts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    I agree.

:
    I agreed first.

Copyier!!!
    Go Gators!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Keep it up and I'll disagree with my own post just to keep diversity alive. Because, you know me, I'm all about diversity
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Here was the crapper from last night. Milwaukee wasn't shifting on Griffey, so he hits a weak grounder to Koskie, who was playing a normal third that would have been a hit against the shift.

I can't remember what pitch he hit, but I'd be willing to bet FCB's first born that they weren't trying to jam him as they often do. He probably hit it where it was pitched.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

How many other ML players do we know of that are being subjected to the shift? Who came up with the shift?

Or have Jr and Dunn basically been the main lab monkeys in this experiment?

It seems to me that the reason teams have devised this shift is due to not only robbing certain players of their "strength"; but it also seems that it shows/exposes their limited range in hitting ability (a weakness?) if they are unable to adjust and are basically being shut down.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-13-2006 at 05:43 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    How many other ML players do we know of that are being subjected to the shift? Who came up with the shift?
    The shift is more than 60 years old, IIRC I read that is started in the Negro League's.

Dunn, Griffey, Delgado, Bonds, Giambi, Thome, Ortiz are the guys I can think of off the top of my head that have to deal with the shift. There are probably more that I just can't think of...
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I'm saying that any attempt to defeat the shift by playing small swing baseball makes the shift successful.
    The more I think about it, the more I think that's the point of the shift to start with, that and just to mess with the hitter's head. How many hits does the shift really take away? Sure, there might be the occasional grounder that the 2B gets to in short right field, but for the most part, the "hits" they are taking away are grounders that might or might not have gotten through a conventional infield. If Dunn gets good wood on the ball, it's not going to be a grounder to the right side of the infield anyway. If he consistently hits the ball hard, the hits are going to come, no matter where the defense is playing. I'm not saying there aren't game situations where going the other way against the shift would not be advantageous, like if they're down by more than one and need baserunners, but he probably has as good a chance of drawing a walk as grounding a hit down the third base line. I'd rather Dunn and Griff just try to hit the ball hard where it's pitched, instead of worrying about where the defense is playing and trying to hit to certain parts of the field.

Turn Off Ads?