Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Krivsky has Reds headed in right direction (6/12)

Krivsky has Reds headed in right direction (6/12)

06/12/2006

Krivsky has Reds headed in right direction
    By TOM USHER

I’d love to have Wayne Krivsky’s crystal ball. He obviously can see things that few people can. How else do you begin to explain what the new Reds general manager has done this season?

Let’s start with catcher David Ross, a career .233 hitter. “Who the heck is he?” I asked back in March when Krivsky acquired him from the Padres. Not even ESPN’s all-knowing Stephen A. Smith could see Ross hitting .354 with seven home runs.

Second baseman Brandon Phillips? Obviously, the Indians’ front office had no clue he would hit .305 with seven home runs and be one of the Reds’ few defensive bright spots.

Scott Hatteberg? This guy has a great on-base percentage (.401), but who thought he’d hit .290?

Bronson Arroyo? OK, I expected him to be good, but so far he’s been nearly unhittable with his baffling breaking ball that he throws 60 percent of the time. At 8-2, with a 2.31 ERA, he could start the All-Star Game.

Right now, the Reds are a team that can contend for a playoff spot. They might not reach the postseason, but they have the starting pitching to stay around and be a pest the rest of the way. And who is the biggest reason for this turnaround from 73-89 last year? It’s Krivsky, who was brought in by rookie owner Bob Castellini. Krivsky has done more than collect talent like Phillips, Arroyo, Hatteberg and Ross.

He’s also taken out some of the trash he inherited. Aging Tony Womack didn’t fit his plans, so out he went. There was also soft-tossing left-hander Dave Williams. Gone. Williams wasn’t his idea of a quality starter. Krivsky was stuck with Williams when he was picked up in a Dan O’Brien deal with the Pirates for Sean Casey. And when Williams continually was hammered, he first was designated for assignment, then dealt to the Mets.

Months ago, Lima’s Jim Martz, a regional Major League Baseball scout for over 30 years, predicted big things for his friend, Krivsky. Martz said Krivsky is a supreme evaluator of talent, a hard worker and knows his baseball. Krivsky is a baseball guy, not a bean counter.

This team still has plenty of work ahead. The Reds (36-27) aren’t as good as their recent eight-game winning streak. Sorry, they just aren’t. They aren’t as bad as this three-game losing streak to the fuzzy and banged up Cubs, either.

But there are some problems. The team’s 56 errors are the second most in the National League. The left side of the diamond, with third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, who is now on the disabled list, shortstop Felipe Lopez and left fielder Adam Dunn have more holes than a mall parking lot. Offensive spark Encarnacion (.270, six home runs, 36 RBIs) has committed 14 errors, Lopez has 11 and Dunn has eight.

The bullpen, with the likes of Rick White, David Weathers, Esteban Yan (fittingly pronounced yawn), Chris Hammond and Kent Mercker, is shaky on its best day. The only reliable reliever is closer Todd Coffey (1.85, four saves). The relievers rank 14th in the league with a 4.69 ERA.

On the plus side, the Reds’ starters rank third in the league (4.13 ERA) and have helped the staff post a 4.31 ERA. That’s way down from last year’s league-worst mark of 5.15. Arroyo and Aaron Harang (7-4, 3.72) form one of the best 1-2 combinations in the league. Imagine that.

A key will be if lefty Eric Milton (4-3, 4.10) continues to spot his fastball like he has the last four starts. Elizardo Ramirez (2-5, 4.02) has pitched well all year. Left-hander Brandon Claussen (3-7, 5.28) has been inconsistent and disappointing. Saturday was only his fourth quality start all year. Joe Mays waits in the wings.

There’s also been the resurgence of right fielder Austin Kearns. He’s healthy and proving he is truly the player the team thought he was a few years ago.

If the Reds continue in the race, and they should, look for Castellini to solidify the bullpen. He may even add one more starter.

It should be a fun summer in the Queen City. Thank Krivsky’s crystal ball for that.

http://www.limaohio.com/story.php?IDnum=26590
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Krivsky has Reds headed in right direction (6/12)

Joe Mays waits in the wings
    Statements like that make me salivate.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Krivsky is a baseball guy, not a bean counter.
    Right there is probably the #1 reason Krivsky wasn't hired after Bowden. The previous ownership valued budget over performance and Krivsky would likely have chafed in that yoke.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Right there is probably the #1 reason Krivsky wasn't hired after Bowden. The previous ownership valued budget over performance and Krivsky would likely have chafed in that yoke.
    Couldn't agree more.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Joe Mays? Really?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Joe Mays? Really?
    Hopefully Joe Mays will be out of the I-275 corridor as quick as he was out of the I-435 corridor.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Hopefully Joe Mays will be out of the I-275 corridor as quick as he was out of the I-435 corridor.
    What, you don't like 88 mph fastballs coming in belt high. I still can't see how he can be an improvement over what we have in AA. Other than he is a veteran. Next question is who goes when Belisle returns??

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    Next question is who goes when Belisle returns??
    The answer should be Rick White.

I've been looking to see if anyone started a thread about this, but what did Wayne have to say on Channel 5's sports show Sunday night? If there is a thread, would someone point me in the right direction (or start a seperate thread?).

Thanks.

Are you a player for another team?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Are you a player for another team?
    I'm Jim Thome posting as Aaron Harang, I can't wait until this weekend.

They give me the dry heaves
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    I've been looking to see if anyone started a thread about this, but what did Wayne have to say on Channel 5's sports show Sunday night? If there is a thread, would someone point me in the right direction (or start a seperate thread?).

Thanks.
    Actually, there is a thread saying he was going to be on, but no one has posted on it. I found that surprising as well.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47251
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?