Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

Retired

Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163114722.html

Jun 12, 2006 12:04 pm US/Eastern

Steelers: Big Ben Injured In Motorcycle Accident

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH -

The Pittsburgh Steelers have now confirmed that Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident on Second Avenue, near the intersection with the 10th Street Bridge.

The accident happened around 11:30am.

According to an eyewitness, he was not wearing a helmet when he flew over the handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car. The witness tells KDKA he said his name was Ben and seemed groggy.

She says he was bleeding from his head.

He has been taken to Mercy Hospital.

At this point, officials are not yet commenting on the victim's condition.
    The story is still breaking, more details to follow. One of the traffic cameras caught the accident on tape.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

According to an eyewitness, he was not wearing a helmet
    stupid
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Accident scene video can be seen here:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...67/detail.html
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Apparently wearing a helmet is not dicatated by law in Pennsylvania, as it isn't in a lot of states these days. Someone was trying to tell me recently that not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is no more dangerous than not wearing one in a car. Given the exposure and the lack of an airbag, could someone please explain this to me?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

got alil captain in u?

oh yes i live close to pittsburgh and it's splashed all over tv doesn't anybody remember jay williams or kellen winslow motorcycles and pro athletes do not mix

He was just on with the Two Angry Guys on 1360 Homer this morning. Yikes.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Apparently wearing a helmet is not dicatated by law in Pennsylvania, as it isn't in a lot of states these days. Someone was trying to tell me recently that not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is no more dangerous than not wearing one in a car. Given the exposure and the lack of an airbag, could someone please explain this to me?
    Some people reason that when you're going 35 m.p.h. or faster on a bike, a helmet doesn't help a lot anyway. I'll take my chances with a helmet. I ride, and here, in Ohio, helmets are not required..but I always wear one.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

Although it was stupid what he did, and I cannot stand the Steelers, best wishes to Ben in a full recovery.

Interesting - http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/8449812

Was previously lectured by his coach...
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Its a personal choice thing and I agree that it shouldnt be mandated. Just a personal freedom thing like I dont want to wear one when I ride by bike through a neighborhood. Only I dont cross busy intersections like motorcyclists do.

Like smoking, its a personal health hazard that is stupid.

It sounds like not wearing a helmet was a point of his, almost a matter of pride. I don't ride motorcycles myself so I don't know what kind of a rush not wearing a helmet may give you but whatever, but the stupidity of this is mind-boggling. What a stupid thing to hold as a matter of pride. Something bad IS GOING to happen. The lack of logic astounds me.

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to beat on the injured -- it's *precisely* the tragedy of the situation, that this is a promising kid threatening his career -- and, far more importantly, his life -- that makes the whole helmet thing so mind-bogglingly ridiculous.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Retired

Said he is in surgery at the moment, and is in serious but stable condition.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some swelling of the brain after slamming his head into the windshield of a car.

If bike helmets are not mandatory, why are seat belts?

I'm sorry to hear about Ben. Hopefully he'll be back in time for Sam Adams to get a shot at his knee on Sept. 24.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 06-12-2006 at 01:38 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?