Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

Re: Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

How severe are the knee injuries? Football-wise, that could be the most difficult aspect of his accident. For some strange reason, I'm thinking of Tom Cruise and Michael Rooker in their infamous wheelchair race as they leave the hospital. Different locations, I know Carson rehabs elsewhere and doesn't use a wheelchair, but maybe Carson could transfer and have a little competition. Nice little wheelchair race to get the fans ready for the season.

I'm picking my man Carson in the Wheelchair race. Judging by the pics I've seen with Ben, a cute nurse could derail him at any time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds outfielder says he always wears helmet while motorcycling

http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=5021670&nav=0RYd

CINCINNATI Cincinnati Reds outfielder Adam Dunn intently watched a T-V news report today on the injuries sustained by Ben Roethlisberger (RAHTH'-lihs-bur-gur), who was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle in Pittsburgh.
    The Steelers quarterback, an Ohio native, suffered a broken jaw and nose. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

Dunn rides a motorcycle but takes precautions when he hits the road to try to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen to him.

Dunn says he'd never ride without a helmet and he'd never ride by myself. He says he doesn't go riding with fewer than ten people.

Dunn used to ride his motorcycle during the season, but now limits himself to the offseason.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Reds outfielder says he always wears helmet while motorcycling

http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=5021670&nav=0RYd

CINCINNATI Cincinnati Reds outfielder Adam Dunn intently watched a T-V news report today on the injuries sustained by Ben Roethlisberger (RAHTH'-lihs-bur-gur), who was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle in Pittsburgh.
    The Steelers quarterback, an Ohio native, suffered a broken jaw and nose. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

Dunn rides a motorcycle but takes precautions when he hits the road to try to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen to him.

Dunn says he'd never ride without a helmet and he'd never ride by myself. He says he doesn't go riding with fewer than ten people.

Dunn used to ride his motorcycle during the season, but now limits himself to the offseason.

Maybe Dunn really broke his hand last year falling off his bike?

A few years ago I got creek jr a Griffey jersey. A couple months later he tore his hammy.

Before the playoffs last season I got him a Carson Palmer jersey. We know how that turned out.

Two weeks ago I bought him a Roethlisberger jersey for his birthday. Now look where Ben is.

Hmmmm, maybe I should buy him a Bonds jersey...

It'll be a cold day in hell before he ever gets a Dunn jersey.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

For a Level Playing Field

creek...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

creek, please get him a Polamalu jersey and then a Joey Porter one.

And then I would just go down the entire Steeler starting lineup from there.

Get him a Bill Cowher one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    creek, please get him a Polamalu jersey and then a Joey Porter one.

And then I would just go down the entire Steeler starting lineup from there.

Get him a Bill Cowher one as well.
    Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Ed Reed, Brian Billick....

While we are at it, maybe you could squeeze out a Peyton Manning and Tom Brady jersey as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    A few years ago I got creek jr a Griffey jersey. A couple months later he tore his hammy.

Before the playoffs last season I got him a Carson Palmer jersey. We know how that turned out.

Two weeks ago I bought him a Roethlisberger jersey for his birthday. Now look where Ben is.

Hmmmm, maybe I should buy him a Bonds jersey...

It'll be a cold day in hell before he ever gets a Dunn jersey.
    Id say get him a jersey with this guy on it then. I know it would make alot on here happy.

Last edited by GAC; 06-13-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Obviously this was a stupid thing Ben did. I am not really in favor of laws mandating seatbelt use or helmet use. I think it's a great idea to wear a seatbelt and a helmet when on a motorcycle but I don't want to legislate personal behavior.

That said, I have a pretty good idea why Ben continued to ride a motorcycle even though the Steelers asked him not to. It's the adreneline rush. Athletes who compete at a high level need that adreneline fix they usually get by playing in their games. When they aren't playing, they turn to something else that has an edge to it like riding motorcycles. Riding without a helmet increases the danger and gives you a bigger rush. He's also at that age where he thinks he's invincible. You don't always show the best judgement at that age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    People who have accidents pay higher premiums for auto insurance as do smokers for health/life insurance.
    Those additional premiums don't cover the expense differences. If someone ends up in a coma, then their insurance premiums won't cover the costs. They difference is made up with other people's premiums, tax dollars and burdening their loved ones. Major accidents pull police officers and doctors away from other work. A smoker who comes down with cancer costs the healthcare system much more than what their insurance covers (see the states suing the tobacco companies to recoup losses).

It takes discipline, money and time, to take care of yourself and it just irks me when other people make stupid choices in the name of freedom and then others with the discipline and forethought have to shoulder the responsibility for their choices. (for example Ben's teammates on the Steelers...)

Freedom is fine, just be prepared to shoulder the responsibilities... and most aren't. In which case take the freedom away (helmet and seat belt laws).
    Last edited by GullyFoyle; 06-13-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Statistics seen on last night Channel 5 newscast regarding University Hospital Head Trauma Unit:

Wearing a helmet, 9% of motorcycle accidents result in serious head injuries.
    No helmet, 49%.

Of the serious motorcycle accidents, about 50% of their riders did not have personal injury insurance.

Now, I'm all for personal liberty and not legislating the heck out of stuff... but I also know who ends up paying the bills. And it's not the CEO of State Farm.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turns out now he didnt have a license.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2482306

Ben Roethlisberger might have been riding without a license to drive a motorcycle when he was involved in an accident Monday.

Pittsburgh television station KDKA reported Tuesday that police are checking whether the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had a license.

Ben Roethlisberger's wrecked bike
    AP Photo/Keith Srakocic
    Roethlisberger was riding this motorcycle when he collided with an automobile in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.

Sources told the TV station that Roethlisberger had a license to operate a car but has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license.

Roethlisberger had a learner's permit to operate a motorcycle that expired March 29 but had never taken the written and driving tests for a motorcycle license, a source told KDKA.

Pittsburgh police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin told the station that police would "have no comment on licensing issues" until after the accident investigation.

Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, had surgery Monday after breaking his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash.

Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition after seven hours of surgery, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Mercy Hospital.

"He suffered multiple facial fractures," Pituch said. "All of the fractures were successfully repaired. His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury. And there are no other confirmed injuries at this time."

The doctors declined to release further information at the family's request.

ESPN.com's John Clayton confirmed that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, has lost or chipped a number of teeth and has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

Roethlisberger, 24, was not wearing a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger has pointed out a Pennsylvania state law requiring helmets was amended in September 2003 to make helmets optional.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed

In most states that don't have helmet laws, they still require riders with "learner's permits" to wear them. I wouldn't know where to find PA's laws regarding that.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed

Another case of athletes assuming laws and common sense stuff doesn't apply to them?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Another case of athletes assuming laws and common sense stuff doesn't apply to them?
    From my experience in the legal profession, insert "humans" for "athletes" and you're right.

Turn Off Ads?