Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    376

    Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    http://rotoworld.com/content/story.a...&storyid=22388

    After bringing in Esteban Yan in the seventh inning to give up a tiebreaking grand slam in Saturday’s loss to the Cubs, Reds manager Jerry Narron decided hold the media or the fans at fault. It’s hard to tell which.

    ''Few guys will have the success Todd Coffey had in that role, that seventh- [and] eighth-inning role with guys on base. Or even the sixth inning,'' Narron told MLB.com. ''Todd Coffey did a great job for us. I don't think people appreciated what he was doing. Everyone said, 'Just put him in the closer's role.' This shows you how huge those outs are in those middle-to-late innings.''

    Then why’d you make the switch, Jerry? David Weathers had a 3.24 ERA when he was pulled from the closer’s role. He had blown four saves, but the Reds won two of those games. More importantly, Coffey was doing an absolutely brilliant job of bailing starters and relievers alike out of jams. He was the Reds’ lone reliever that Narron should have wanted entering games with men on base. Now he’s being utilized in a role in which he’ll come in with the bases empty the vast majority of the time. The whole bullpen sets up worse, and the Reds are a weaker club as a result. Nicely done.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,355

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by CincyReds2003
    http://rotoworld.com/content/story.a...&storyid=22388

    After bringing in Esteban Yan in the seventh inning to give up a tiebreaking grand slam in Saturday’s loss to the Cubs, Reds manager Jerry Narron decided hold the media or the fans at fault. It’s hard to tell which.

    ''Few guys will have the success Todd Coffey had in that role, that seventh- [and] eighth-inning role with guys on base. Or even the sixth inning,'' Narron told MLB.com. ''Todd Coffey did a great job for us. I don't think people appreciated what he was doing. Everyone said, 'Just put him in the closer's role.' This shows you how huge those outs are in those middle-to-late innings.''

    Then why’d you make the switch, Jerry? David Weathers had a 3.24 ERA when he was pulled from the closer’s role. He had blown four saves, but the Reds won two of those games. More importantly, Coffey was doing an absolutely brilliant job of bailing starters and relievers alike out of jams. He was the Reds’ lone reliever that Narron should have wanted entering games with men on base. Now he’s being utilized in a role in which he’ll come in with the bases empty the vast majority of the time. The whole bullpen sets up worse, and the Reds are a weaker club as a result. Nicely done.
    So insert Coffey into that role for that specific situation, Jerry.

    There was no game to for Coffey close by bringing in Yan anyway.

  4. #3
    Mod Law zombie-a-go-go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miskatonic University
    Posts
    4,302

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    So insert Coffey into that role for that specific situation, Jerry.

    There was no game to for Coffey close by bringing in Yan anyway.
    Someday this will be common (baseball) sense. Use your best reliever in your tightest situation, no matter what "title" he's been given.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

  5. #4
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Let's get down to the real issue... we need more than 1 guy that can serve that (6-7-8 inning with men on base) role effectively. With Coffey closing and Weathers ailing, we don't have any.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  6. #5
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,355

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Someday this will be common (baseball) sense. Use your best reliever in your tightest situation, no matter what "title" he's been given.
    But that would mean manager's would have to use their own common sense and not the "safe" list of baseball's unwritten rules.

  7. #6
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,355

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Let's get down to the real issue... we need more than 1 guy that can serve that (6-7-8 inning with men on base) role effectively. With Coffey closing and Weathers ailing, we don't have any.
    Exactly and until the off-season we will not be able to remedy this problem. So until then, you bring in the best you got when the game is on the line.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    536

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Let's get down to the real issue... we need more than 1 guy that can serve that (6-7-8 inning with men on base) role effectively. With Coffey closing and Weathers ailing, we don't have any.
    Exactly. Even if Coffey is best suited for that role, he can't be relied on to do it every game. He's probably thrown too many innings to date as it is.

  9. #8
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,171

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Someday this will be common (baseball) sense. Use your best reliever in your tightest situation, no matter what "title" he's been given.
    You mean one day again... I'll argue that back in the day guys like Jim Bronson and Clay Carroll came in in that exact situation.

    I blame the save stat and the Rolainds Fireman award.

  10. #9
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,912

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Someday this will be common (baseball) sense. Use your best reliever in your tightest situation, no matter what "title" he's been given.
    That is how ace relievers were used until the last couple of decades. In the 1970s guys such as Goose Gossage and Rollie Fingers were not always "saved" for the ninth inning; they were used at the critical part of the game, and if the critical part was the seventh inning, in they came.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  11. #10
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I blame the save stat and the Rolainds Fireman award.
    Blame big salaries too.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  12. #11
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,719

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    So Narron is making decisions based on what the media and fans say?



  13. #12
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Coffey is busy eating bannaise sandwiches until the 9th...couldnt be reached in the bullpen. :P

  14. #13
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,184

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    The way that tidbit was written is a joke. I'm not going to argue against using your best reliever in spots other than the 9th, I think that's the right thing to do and closers are misused today. But to suggest that Narron was blaming fans and the media or that they were the reason for the switch is absurd. That's taking a quote and stretching it badly just to try and create a story where there isn't one. Rotten case of supposed journalism.

  15. #14
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,356

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Someday this will be common (baseball) sense. Use your best reliever in your tightest situation, no matter what "title" he's been given.
    You'll see good managers do this in the playoffs. They realize when the turning point of the game occurs you need to bring your biggest gun to bear, be it the 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th.

    But like others have said, they can't bring Coffey and Weathers into every tight situation. I think this was Yan's test to see how he'd do. He flunked test #1 spectacularly. It will be interesting to see if he gets more chances.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  16. #15
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Narron blaming fans and media for switching Coffey to closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Someday this will be common (baseball) sense. Use your best reliever in your tightest situation, no matter what "title" he's been given.
    So what happens when you have more than one tight situation? Put your best reliever in RF until he's needed again?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25