Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Chambliss should go?

Maybe Chambliss should go?

Maybe Chris Chambliss, the hitting coach should be fired. The Reds with runners in scoring position is a joke. I know we hit alot of home runs and doubles, but when we need the clutch hit, we never get it. Their plate discipline is terrible, thay look at too many strikes, and strike out way too much. Kearns is another guy I would get rid of in return for some pitching.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Maybe Chambliss should go?

That would be like firing a dog trainer because he could not turn a pit bull into a lap dog.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

The Dog Whisperer could do it.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The Reds rank second in the NL with 338 runs scored, second in the NL in OBP at .347, first in SLG at .459 and first in HRs with 98. Yeah, that performance is totally unacceptable, so they should fire Chambliss.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The pitching has also been bad, should the pitching coach also be fired?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    The pitching has also been bad, should the pitching coach also be fired?

yes we should fire the bullpen coach!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I'm talking when the Reds really need the big hits. They can never get them and its been that way for some time. They need someone who can light a fire under them and I doubt Chambliss is that man. RISP, thats the stat I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fazio
    I'm talking when the Reds really need the big hits. They can never get them and its been that way for some time. They need someone who can light a fire under them and I doubt Chambliss is that man. RISP, thats the stat I care about.
    There is approximately utterly no evidence whatsoever in the history of baseball that hitters get "big hits" because someone was able to "light a fire under them" and precious little evidence to support the notion of clutch hitting.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

They need someone who can light a fire under them and I doubt Chambliss is that man.
    Why?

Because of the pressure-free atmosphere he played in as a Yankee?

Or is it because he only has six World Series rings?

Yep. I'd want a guy like that to stay far away from my youngsters.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Jim, do you realize that BA RISP does not take into account solo home runs, home runs with a guy on first, a triple with a guy on first, a double with a guy on first, all ways that a goodly number of runs are scored? Are those big hits? A good example is Javier Valentin's walk off home run against the Dbacks. There was a guy on first, thus did not fall under the category of RISP. Was that a big hit?

I agree that it is frustrating to have a guy on third and less than two outs and not get him in, but the answer to improving in that area does not lie in "lighting a fire under them" or a failure to get "big hits." As others have pointed out, scoring runs is not a problem for this team.

Last night, they went from down 4-0 to 4-2 with two swings of the bat. Were those "big hits?" After another home run, they fought back to 4-3, and were it not for the bullpen continuing to allow runs at about the pace of one an inning during this losing streak, they would have tied the game at 4-4. So, once again, while the offense takes the heat if they cannot sustain a winning streak by scoring 7 runs a game, its time to fire the hitting coach.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Baseball is a game built around failure. Sometimes one succeeds.

They need someone who can light a fire under them and I doubt Chambliss is that man. RISP, thats the stat I care about.
    Maybe we can exhume Woody Hayes to kick em all in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Baseball is a game built around failure. Sometimes one succeeds.
    Baseball is like japanese food, the presentation and process is a big part of the whole experience.

Talking baseball on Redszone can sometimes be like getting a Burrito in a Phish lot in Bonner Springs Ka.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Talking baseball on Redszone can sometimes be like getting a Burrito in a Phish lot in Bonner Springs Ka.
    There's an easy solution to both those problems.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    The Reds rank second in the NL with 338 runs scored, second in the NL in OBP at .347, first in SLG at .459 and first in HRs with 98. Yeah, that performance is totally unacceptable, so they should fire Chambliss.
    OPS, Schmops. I notice you didn't list Productive Outs there, RedsBaron. Any particular reason for that, hmm?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?