Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Whither Larue?/Braves Interested in LaRue [Merged]

Re: Whither Larue?

I will only admit one thing, I have not seen enough of Ross' arm to compare. But having seen Larue's arm I can't imagine David's being better. Actually Larue has been better than league average for his position in most offensive categories since about '01-'05. He's always struck out alot thus the mediocre to low average, but I would imagine his HR's, RBI's, SLG % and the like have been at least top ten in the NL and probably top 5. Now his OBP and average is likely lower than that but reasonable. His defense has always been outstanding w/ the exception of passed balls.

But the main point everyone has seemingly missed here is what Jason is not nearly as good at as Ross is, Gamecalling! I believe we have seen all of our starting pitchers improve with the addition of Ross, w/ the possible exception of Harang who he really hasn't worked with much yet. In fact that may have been his 1st game with Aaron the other day, which I suspect Harang will also do fine with David eventually. This is the reason Krivsky added Ross IMHO, you improve your pitching however you can and this is 1 move Krivsky saw that he could instantly improve the staff.

And this is also the reason that Ross was given a chance to start over the past week or so, to see if A.) All our pitchers would benefit with Ross behind the dish so that they could figure on who to deal. And B.) If they started him, would starting everyday for awhile cut his offensive production way down. Or would he actually improve. I think he will improve before he drops off, so I would expect a big increase in his production compared to his career norms.

From everything I have seen from Ross the only thing I would worry about losing with dealing Larue would be gunning guys down at an ALL-STAR rate. Ross IMHO is far more acceptable in many more ways than Jason and what we lose is very little. Add to the fact that if you do deal Ross you better have someone ready real soon in the pipeline because Larue isn't gonna catch forever. Ross has that 3 more years of youth, he is adequate in every way and he is far & away cheaper. Now is the time for Larue to move on, it just is. And Javy is a fine backup catcher and a nice guy to platoon with Ross from time to time. The only other thing I might look at is what Ross' injury history is like, if it's fine then you deal Jason if not then maybe you re-consider but not likely! Oh yeah and Larue will bring a solid return as a solid all round catcher it's just a matter of fit and timing.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Are the people who say that LaRue is an "outstanding" defensive catcher watching the same LaRue I am? He is an average defensive catcher at best, he throws well but has too many mental lapses behind that plate and is horrible at blocking balls just using his glove instead of using his body. LaRue's caught stealing ratio makes many think that he is a good defensive catcher and honestley he is not.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Valentin is rated higher overall than LaRue

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...=tsn&type=lgns

I love it when the fans of Reds Country hitch their wagons up and expect to ride every hot streak of every new member of the club to the HOF.

Let's not forget this is MLB we are talkin' about. Players do get hot, they also go into slumps. It makes no sense at all to messure a players value while they are in the middle of eighther.

We can never tell exactly how productive any player will be in the future.
    But we can come pretty close by looking at his past.

I hope David Ross isn't a flash in the pan. I want to see him do well.

I have seen LaRue do well, Jason will never be compared to Jonny Bench but he has done his job above league average. If you are content judging players by what THE VOICE on the radio tells you I quess that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn
    Valentin is rated higher overall than LaRue

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...=tsn&type=lgns

I can't say I agree with those rankings in reference to Larue or in general.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Where does that leave Hafner, Broussard and Perez?
    Broussard would be traded somewhere else or sent to the bench. He's not worth reserving a starting spot for. Hafner becomes the full time DH.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Braves interested in LaRue?

There is interest in LaRue, possibly from the Atlanta Braves, who have been sniffing around. While they saw Ross, they also saw LaRue hit a pinch-hit home run.

LaRue's salary is a hindrance toward any deal, and one National League scout said, "The Reds probably would have to pay half of that $5.5 million he makes next year."

Said LaRue, "The team is playing well, and I'm not one to say anything one way or another. I have a record. I know what I can do; they know what I can do. The rest is out of my hands."
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/searc...13redsweb.html

I didn't see this posted on this board so sorry if it is. It's on the other board but I can't post there. I thought I'd give a Braves fan view of this.

The Braves being interested in LaRue makes no sense at all. We have the best catcher in the NL starting and a guy the Braves love as a backup and defensive mentor to McCann in Todd Pratt. LaRue would be an offensive upgrade over Pratt but I doubt the Braves would sacrifice the mentor relationship Pratt and McCann have built. With McCann and Pratt on the big club and Brayan Pena and Salty on the farm there's no need at catcher. I just don't see the Braves wanting LaRue.

That leaves the fact that the Braves have been sniffing around unanswered. The LaRue speculation reminds me of a couple years ago when Griffey said he thought he'd be traded to the Braves by the end of spring training basing this on all the Braves scouts at Reds games. A few days later the Braves traded for Reitsma. I don't know all the situations with the Reds but I could see the Braves being interested in Ryan Freel to play left and leadoff. I could see the Braves being interested in Austin Kearns, a name the Braves always seem to be linked to. Since pitching is a need of both teams I don't see the Braves targeting any Reds pitchers.

Just thought I'd give the Braves perspective on this.

Re: Braves interested in LaRue?

I really can't see why the Braves would be interested. McCann is having a very good season and Pratt is a solid backup. LaRue may be third string for the Braves like he is here.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Re: Braves interested in LaRue?

I won't go so far as to say McCann is the best catcher in the NL, but he's absolutely the best young catcher in the NL [sorry MattMo, Molina is good too], which might lead one to wonder if perhaps Cox and Co. are concerned about him wearing out over the course of the season or if they fear pitchers will adjust to him and he won't be able to make an adjustment himself so they are looking for a veteran to stabilize things for the season.

Conversely, your other points make just as much sense for both teams. Freel or Kearns to the ATL for pitching is a reasonable assumption to make as it would fill needs for both teams and not hurt either in terms of overall depth. Granted the Braves are hurting in the 'pen just as the Reds are, but I'd suspect a starter could be the target coming back in return.

UNLESS the Reds are looking at Saltamacchia [sp?] coming back to the Reds to shore up our catching for the future. I could see a Freel or Kearns dealt for a top notch catching prospect and RF being turned over to Denorfia if it is Kearns dealt.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Whither Larue?/Braves Interested in LaRue [Merged]

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock

2. Kansas City. They are in overhaul mode. The team has a new GM. With as bad as they've played, the GM has to be thinking about cleaning house and asking questions later. Their catcher, Buck, has regressed this season. He wasn't great shakes to start off. Maybe Larue could be the first veteran cog in a new era in KC. But again, what can they offer us for his services? Would SP Elarton ($4 million salary, 2-year-contract, 1-8 record, 5.24 ERA) be a fair return? How about Elmer Dessens ($1.7 million salary, 2-year-contract, 3.90 ERA in relief)? While I think we could swing a deal with KC involving Larue, do we really want to pursue this route?
    Buddy Bell is a big LaRue fan. His bullpen coach Fred Kendall loves Jason. Jason was influenced heavily by Fred's teachings in the one season Kendall was in the Reds Organization. Great fit IMO.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?