The quiz: Think you could be an official scorer?
Think you could be an official scorer? Break out your pencil and test your baseball knowledge with the following quiz:
1. A starting pitcher exits the game after four innings with his team up 4-0. Five different relievers each throw one scoreless inning to finish the game. Which pitcher is credited with the victory?
2. After a pitcher gets the first two outs in an inning, a batter reaches safely on an error. A relief pitcher then comes in and promptly serves up a two-run homer. Which runs, if any, are earned and against which pitcher?
3. A starting pitcher gets one out in the inning before the next batter singles. A reliever comes in, and the next batter reaches on a fielder's choice, while the original runner is thrown out at second. The next batter doubles and drives in the runner from first. Which pitcher is charged with the earned run?
4. With runners on first and third and one out, a batter hits a slow ground ball to the shortstop. The fielder holds on to the ball, making sure the runner doesn't break from third. He then throws to second base, too late to get the runner there. The runner at third then breaks for home on the throw and scores on the play. How is this play scored?
5. With a runner at first, the hitter singles to right field. The runner goes to third on the play but forgets to touch second base on his way there. The fielding team successfully appeals the play. How is this scored?
6. A batter hits the ball into the outfield and tries to stretch it into a double. He beats the throw easily, but while sliding into second base, his momentum carries him past the bag. The alert shortstop tags him out. What type of hit does the batter receive?
7. With a runner on third base and less than two out, a batter lifts a deep fly ball into outfield foul territory. The outfielder, not wanting the runner at third to tag up and score, decides to let the ball drop rather than catch it. Smart play, but is it an error?
8. It's the bottom of the ninth inning, and the score is tied with the bases loaded. The batter lifts a fly ball over the head of the drawn-in center fielder. As the losing team walks toward the dugout, all the runners circle the bases and cross the plate. How is this scored?
9. A starting pitcher is behind in the count two balls and one strike when he feels a twinge in his elbow and leaves the game. A relief pitcher comes in and throws two more balls. Which pitcher is charged with the walk?
10. True or False: A fielder cannot be charged with an error if he never touches the ball on a play.