Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Zone ratings and the shift

Zone ratings and the shift

I asked this question on another thread but no one responded. Now, I may be on everyone's ignore list, but I've been wondering if the shift doesn't play havoc on the various defensive zone statistics. I am seeing so many shifts these days with Ortiz, Thome, Dunn, Griffey, et al, that there must be some adjustments made for the zones. Can anyone explain how the statisticians will adjust for these shifts?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zone ratings and the shift

Good question.

How do they adjust for bunt defenses, no-doubles defenses, and the like?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Re: Zone ratings and the shift

It doesn't. If you read the parameters regarding how ZR is determined it clearly states that the rating is determined by the ability of a player to field the ball in play in a typical fielding position for that area. Accordingly, zone rating won't actually measure the range, defensive effieciency, etc what it does is measure the players ability to field balls as if he were fielding in the typical fielding position for that area of the field.

Having said that ZR would give you a good indication of a players defensive ability but only an indication.

Turn Off Ads?