Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cards = Winners. Reds = Not Yet

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Cards = Winners. Reds = Not Yet

Last week, we completed a 3 game sweep in STL, shortly after they were hit with the devastating news that they'd be without the services of the best player in baseball for an extended period. The sweep landed us a share of first place.

6 games later, we're 3 games back.

Cards beat up on the Brewers and Pirates. We've lost 5 of 6 to the Brewers and Cubs.

Cards were on the road for these games - we've been at home. Competition level has otherwise been a push.

The Cards are a franchise that is used to winning. We play like frightened turtles when we're in or near first.

Fact is, we will not take the step from cellar dweller and/or also-ran until we learn how to play well with targets on our back.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards = Winners. Reds = Not Yet

I honestly doubt that the Reds are good enough to have another eight game winning streak this year; however, I DO think this won't be the last of our five game losing streaks. This bullpen is still one which would give the devil nightmares. To quote Clubber Lang:

"I predict pain..."
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Well, bear in mind that I am not merely offering up complaints without offering solutions.

I think our bullpen needs help.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

So where is this "veteran leadership" then......when the team is up in first and going well. Where are these so called leaders like RA and LaRue....or just about anyone other Coffey in the bullpen?

If they are playing like scared rabbits.....why are they not "leading"?

All this proves is that veteran leadership does not mean crap...if these veterans cannot even perform.....help carry.... and/or not lose games.

It has been the opposite....these veterans are the ones who are helping this team lose..more than the young guys.

Reds were expected to be bad this year, no surprise. How Krivsky looks to shake things up for the franchise's future product is what I am waiting for.
    Last edited by Aronchis; 06-14-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    So where is this "veteran leadership" then......when the team is up in first and going well. Where are these so called leaders like RA and LaRue....or just about anyone other Coffey in the bullpen?

If they are playing like scared rabbits.....why are they not "leading"?

All this proves is that veteran leadership does not mean crap...if these veterans cannot even perform.....help carry.... and/or not lose games.

It has been the opposite....these veterans are the ones who are helping this team lose..more than the young guys.
    This post is baffling. You appear to quote me several times, but not once in my original post (or in any of the replies) did I reference veteran leadership. I really didn't broach the subject of leadership at all.

Furthermore - I referenced frightened turtles - not scared rabbits. Big difference. Scared rabbits are fast. They run and hide. Turtles just sit there and hide all extremities in their carapace.

While I don't disagree that we lack veteran leadership, this post appears out of context. Did you even read it, or did you just reply to a random post in your head?
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 06-13-2006 at 11:56 PM.

Opposing players tremble when they face the mighty Cards. When they face the Reds bullpen, they drool. Until the BP commands respect, players will go up there knowing they are going to score some extra runs in the later innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Reds were expected to be bad this year, no surprise. How Krivsky looks to shake things up for the franchise's future product is what I am waiting for.
    Me too.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Man Pills

To not capitalize on a banged up Cards roster, some surprising starters' performances from the Reds, and a host of tradeable talent on this ballclub would be criminal; they can contend this season AND build for the "future," whatever the hell that is (whatever it is, the "future" will have a healthier Cardinals ballclub and a ton of revenue that the Reds can't match, so it would be superwise to always remain aggressive in case the Cards stumble).

I want to see something from the GM concerning the pen other then "hey we got this free junk lets see what happens"
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?