Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Time to discuss this horrid lineup

Threaded View

Time to discuss this horrid lineup

Alright, I've had enough of this lineup. Time to examine. Coming in to tonight is where these numbers come from.

Does anyone else find it weird that our 6-7-8 hitters have been leading us in RBI's this season? Guys like Phillips (38), Edwin (36), and Ross in limited time (22 in 75 AB's coming in). Probably because high OBP guys like Dunn and Hatteberg are batting 5th and 6th many times.

Why is our lineup ever:

3. Griffey
    4. Aurilia
    5. Dunn

Isn't the idea to get guys on base for your sluggers?

Say the lineup is what it has been a lot lately:

Freel (.377 obp)
    Lopez (.370 obp)
    Griffey (.337 obp and .551 slg)
    Aurilia (.313 obp and .473 slg)
    Dunn (.389 obp and .581 slg)

PLEASE tell me why Dunn is batting 5th? Ever? Even vs. LH pitchers this year his obp is .440 and OPS'ing 1.093!!! Aurilia has been hitting well vs. LH'ers, but that only lasts about 2/3 of the game for the starter, then in comes a RH reliever, where his OPS is .565.

With this lineup, the sum of the OBP for 1-2-3 spots, that lead up to your cleanup hitter is 1.084 for a .473 slugger batting 4th.

Now try this:

Freel (.377 obp)
    Lopez (.370 obp)
    Dunn (.389 obp and .581 slg)
    Griffey (.337 obp and .551 slg)
    Kearns (.347 obp and .492)
    Aurilia (.313 obp and .473 slg)

Here, the sum of the OBP for 1-2-3 is 1.136 (.052 higher), that leads up to your cleanup hitter with a .551 slugging (.078 higher). Aurilia would benefit from this too because he would have more guys on base ahead of him.

I just think this is ridiculous that Dunn is still batting 5th at times, and to me it makes no sense that Griffey is ever batting ahead of him. Dunn would be on base for Griffey so much more than Griffey is for Dunn. And when people are on base, Griffey will still see more pitches than Dunn will. I think this switch has to be made.

I don't mind Hatteberg batting 2nd either. He is getting on base at a team leading .396. I dont care if he is slow, he isn't clogging the paths for the speedy Griffey, Aurilia, or Dunn.

This is turning into a Miley lineup. He has to change it up. Aurilia is 9th in OPS on this team between the regulars, even Freel is beating him in OPS which is designed to keep in mind the power hitters more than "little guys" like him. Felipe has the lowest OPS on the team, and I think that is mainly because of when he faces LH'ers (.844 vs. RH, and .621 vs. LH), and if there is a LH starter, I wouldn't let him smell the top of the lineup.

Rant over, discuss if you like.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 06-13-2006 at 11:29 PM.

Turn Off Ads?