1. Ryan Freel 3b
    2. Scott Hatteberg 1b
    3. Adam Dunn lf
    4. Ken Griffey Jr. cf
    5. Austin Kearns rf
    6. Brandon Phillips 2b
    7. Felipe Lopez ss
    8. David Ross c

Phillips just doesn't get on base enough to bat #1 or #2. There is no way that I can justify not starting Ryan Freel, simply no way. Rich Aurilia has no business sniffing the lineup (.310 OBP). Until Hatteberg (.391 OBP) starts making more outs, he would bat #2 for me everyday of the week.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time to discuss this horrid lineup

Lopez (though he has been peeing me off as of late with his swinging at pitches in the dirt). Still has a .369 OB%. NOTE: when he plays - Freel

Dunn (simply gets on base. Will still get his HRs). LEAVE HIM HERE!

Phillips ( I wanted to put Hatteberg in here with his .391 OB%, but having two relatively slow runners back to back is not a good idea). But with Dunn getting on base, pitchers are gonna have to go after Phillips, and this guy's bat speed amazes me (EE's too).

Jr (the best alternative on this roster as clean-up)

EE (simply makes things happen)

Hatteberg

Kearns

Ross (tough place to put him, but I don't think he'll stay as hot as he's been)

And I thoroughly agree that Aurilia should be no place near the clean-up position vs righties. But I realy don't want him there period. He should be no higher then 6th in this lineup IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-14-2006 at 07:24 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Lopez (though he has been peeing me off as of late with his swinging at pitches in the dirt). Still has a .369 OB%. NOTE: when he plays - Freel

Dunn (simply gets on base. Will still get his HRs). LEAVE HIM HERE!

Phillips ( I wanted to put Hatteberg in here with his .391 OB%, but having two relatively slow runners back to back is not a good idea)

Jr (the best alternative on this roster as clean-up)

EE (simply makes things happen)

Hatteberg

Kearns

Ross (tough place to put him, but I don't think he'll stay as hot as he's been)

And I thoroughly agree that Aurilia should be no place near the clean-up position vs righties. But I realy don't want him there period. He should be no higher then 6th in this lineup IMO.

How do you put Phillips, with an .826 OPS batting 3rd? You have 5 other guys that should be hitting 3rd before him.

Check out these splits:

Brandon Phillips
    2006 Home (111 TPA) .361/.427/.485/.912
    2006 Away (105 TPA).260/.276/.460/.736

I agree that Phillips has been very good for the Reds but he is, in no way, the Reds best hitter.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Narron tends to structure his nightly lineup according to individual Reds players' batting avg vs the opposing pitcher.
    IMHO, this microscopic view should be chucked in favor of a more consistent lineup... the description in the introductory post of this thread is a good place to start, looking at the big picture instead of a game-by-game, pitcher-by-pitcher snapshot approach.
    Most winning teams don't go in with a different lineup every night...
    Agreed.
    This is one of many things about Narron which annoys me - the man seems to be forever tinkering with the lineup. And, once he finds a winning combination, he changes it the next night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    How do you put Phillips, with an .826 OPS batting 3rd? You have 5 other guys that should be hitting 3rd before him.

Check out these splits:

Brandon Phillips
    2006 Home (111 TPA) .361/.427/.485/.912
    2006 Away (105 TPA).260/.276/.460/.736

I agree that Phillips has been very good for the Reds but he is, in no way, the Reds best hitter.
    First off - OPS is such a "raw" and incomplete stat when evaluating a player's overall performance. Even BP states that.

But even an .826 OPS is not terrible.

Your best hitter does not necessarily have to be in the #3 slot. But Phillips is 2nd on the team (behind Lopez) with 61 hits. He has a .353 OB%, speed, with some pop in his bat (7 Hrs), and is tied with Kearns for the team lead with 38 RBIs.

You surround him with guys that get on base, and whom pitchers don't have the opportunity to pitch around, and see what kind of pitches Phillips gets. This kid's bat speed is phenomenal, and I think he is ony gonna get better as time goes.

it is disappointing to realize that they have lost 4 or the 5 in close games and in 3 of them Dunn was either on deck or in the hole when they game ended. Other than the bashers I think most would have liked to have seen Dunn get another shot.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    it is disappointing to realize that they have lost 4 or the 5 in close games and in 3 of them Dunn was either on deck or in the hole when they game ended. Other than the bashers I think most would have liked to have seen Dunn get another shot.
    The bashers would have liked it too, if he had failed they would have been giddy.

But when others fail, well that's just the way it goes
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    But it seems it's our defense that places us in those positions of needing to have to "get another shot". Sooner or later the odds play against you in those situations IMO. At least they have with this team in '06. Before Dunn's final at-bat in yesterday's game, the Reds were 4-for-40 (.100) with runners in scoring position over their five-game losing streak, including 0-for-the-last-24.

Turn Off Ads?