Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paxton Crawford says majority of his Red Sox teammates were on steroids

Paxton Crawford says majority of his Red Sox teammates were on steroids

Saw a little bit on ESPN News about this. Paxton admitted to using steroids himself, saying that it helped his arm feel stronger after he would pitch. He also said that the majority of his Red Sox teammates in 2001 and 2002 were using steroids. Story to be in upcoming issue of ESPN the Magazine, but I see nothing on ESPN's website about this.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Paxton Crawford says majority of his Red Sox teammates were on steroids

Wasn't Paxton a Red at one point?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    Wasn't Paxton a Red at one point?
    Yes, in 2004, but did not make it up with the big club.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I know Paxton but haven't seen him in a few years. I remember when he was in high school, he left parents and friends behind to live with relatives in Arizona in order to get into a particular baseball program. So, early in life, he was willing to sacrifice quite a bit in the pursuit of his dream. I imagine using steroids, to Paxton and all those who have shared that dream, seemed like a natural step towards a goal. I fear we are going to find out that thousands of young men, driven by the dream to play major league baseball, have used or are using illegal methods to enhance their abilities.

I'm afraid we are getting a look at the tip of an ugly,ugly iceberg that might seriously damage baseball.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I think you are going to see quite a few of these borderline MLB players that used steriods come forward with confessions. I think more than one will name names of others that took them and things will get real ugly. Spitball is correct in saying this is just the tip of a very ugly iceberg.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

This is why I've always felt it is a massive failure of the Players Union to treat testing as a privacy issue. Their first duty should be to protect their membership.

It's the marginal players who think they have to juice to keep up that is the real tragedy in this whole sorry affair.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

So more and more we're starting to see that Jose Canseco was right in his book.

NEVER thought I'd say those words.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Did Canseco write his book to clean up baseball or did he write his book for the money/fame and to get back at old enemies? Both?

Whatever was his intentions, the end effect will hopefully clean up the game and send the cheats packing.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Did Canseco write his book to clean up baseball or did he write his book for the money/fame and to get back at old enemies? Both?
    That's the easiest one yet... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288

Whatever was his intentions, the end effect will hopefully clean up the game and send the cheats packing.
    I thought he wrote it to secure a spot in "The Surreal Life" cast. The means to an end.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

For a Level Playing Field

I am sure ESPN will find evidence that proves the beloved Red Sox did nothing wrong. Perhaps a TV program that shows the true Red Sox good-guy image... "Red Sox on Red Sox". It is the Red Sox afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    This is why I've always felt it is a massive failure of the Players Union to treat testing as a privacy issue. Their first duty should be to protect their membership.

It's the marginal players who think they have to juice to keep up that is the real tragedy in this whole sorry affair.
    I've long felt the same way.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Paxton Crawford wasn't on the '02 Red Sox. I suppose he might have still been with them in spring training or something. The Red Sox were an embarrassment in '01 in a lot of ways, so there's nothing all that surprising to me about this, really.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Paxton Crawford wasn't on the '02 Red Sox. I suppose he might have still been with them in spring training or something. The Red Sox were an embarrassment in '01 in a lot of ways, so there's nothing all that surprising to me about this, really.
    You're right, he was there in 2000 and 2001
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Leyritz has said that Yankee teammates were using in 2000, and now we know that Red Sox were using in 2001. A quick check of the rosters shows David Cone to have been a member of both teams. I had heard his name rumored in this a couple years ago, but nothing ever proven. He did have issues with anger (potential roid rage?) didn't he?

Turn Off Ads?