Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All-Star, home field likely to stay linked

All-Star, home field likely to stay linked

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- The "This Time it Counts" format that awards home-field advantage in the World Series to the winning league in the All-Star Game hasn't been approved yet, but it is on track, a Major League Baseball official said on Tuesday.

Even though MLB and the Players Association haven't formally extended the deal into its fourth season, the matter was addressed on Tuesday morning at a weekly staff meeting conducted in New York by Bob DuPuy, MLB's vice president and chief operating officer, and no one in the Commissioner's office exhibited any concern.

"It isn't signed, sealed and delivered yet, but we expect that it will be," said Rich Levin, an MLB senior vice president, when reached by phone in New York.

The format was adopted in 2003, a year after the All-Star Game in Milwaukee ended in a 7-7, 11-inning tie when both teams ran out of pitching. The original deal was for two seasons, and it was extended in negotiations with the union last year. That extension also came only weeks before the game, which was held in Detroit, Levin said.

This year's All-Star Game is scheduled for July 11 at Pittsburgh's PNC Park.

Gene Orza, the union's chief operating officer, also said that he wasn't concerned about the issue.

"I don't expect it to be a problem, but it still isn't done yet," said Orza, when reached by phone in New York.

Orza said that the matter has been entwined in ongoing collective bargaining negotiations for a new basic agreement, which expires on Dec. 19. For the long term, the format could be memorialized in the new agreement. But for right now, the two sides simply need to agree on this year.

"We're trying to make it a discrete item, but there are points that need to be ironed out," Orza said. "There's still some resistance from the players about it. We're trying to work that all out."

In the years since the format was adopted, the American League has won all three All-Star Games. The American League's home-field advantage has not figured in each of the past three World Series. In 2003, the Marlins won in six games over the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, capturing their second World Series title. In 2004 and 2005, the Red Sox and White Sox swept the Cardinals and Astros, respectively.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: All-Star, home field likely to stay linked

"There's still some resistance from the players about it."

There's still a lot of resistance to it from this particular fan. Especially when the teams are picked by the fans and are essentially popularity contests rather than the players having the best year.

Bud. It's an exhibition game! It should have nothing to do with deciding the outcome of your sports' crowning event! Dimwit.

Rem

While I tend to agree rem - it's sad that it had to come to this because of these high-priced and over-paid players. There use to be such a desire and competition between these two leagues on winning that game. Players wanted to be there for that.

Now it's all about how much do I get if I earn an All-Star appearance.

I really don't think players, if they are voted in, should have any option (other then being injured) from not appearing. And if they are injured, then they must be on the DL.

Hit the players that snub this game where it hurts - their wallets - the only language they seem to understand. Level heavy fines.

The snub of the All-Star game is just anothe example of just how little the players care about the fans.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

It is still the most competitive of the all star games. You still see guys diving for catches and throwing 95 mph to get guys out. If MLBs ASG were like the other games, pitchers would be throwing BP fastballs to hitters and fielders would be giving balls that were a foot to their right or left the old matador treatment. Just because no one is bowling over catchers at the plate any more does not mean it is not compeititive and the players are not going all out.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

It's a ridiculous joke.

It's an exhibition game. It should have NO bearing on the post season in ANY way.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    It's a ridiculous joke.

It's an exhibition game. It should have NO bearing on the post season in ANY way.
    Totally agree.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I lean to the side of the RFS62. Its an exhibition for crying out loud.

Here's how you do the home field advantage. Take the 4 teams Winning percentage in each league and average it out. Highest Winning percentage has the advantage. Tie breaker is best winning percentage by the number one seed.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I know how to make the game important without effecting post season...

The teams in the league that wins will get 70% of the revenue sharing and the teams in the league that loses will only get 30%.

That might bring some ugly uninstended consequences, though...hmm.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Start by making both leagues play by the same rules (no DH).

What's wrong with alternating HF "advantages", like it used to be?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Dumbest idea to come down from MLB in years, and they have had some whoppers.
    Go Gators!

All this goes back to the fact that it gives the Yankees and Red Sox home field advantage just in case they don't earn it during the normal season. I don't remember off the top of my head but I think the AL has won the game the past 8 or 9 years straight. It's nothing more than a ploy to try give a boost to those two teams in hopes more fly-by-nighters will watch in the Yankees/Red Sox win the World Series.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Here's an idea. Instead of linking it to the postseason, let the league that wins host next year's ASG.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Here's an idea. Instead of linking it to the postseason, let the league that wins host next year's ASG.
    I like that idea. It makes common sense......oh wait, that's why it won't happen.

Rem

How far out to they select the ASG sites? More than a year, I think.

I pretty much hate tying the home field advantage to the outcome of the ASG like the rest of you. Not sure why the outcome has to "matter" anyway.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    How far out to they select the ASG sites? More than a year, I think.
    I think so, too. It's likely that all of the ancillary events that accompany the game require lots of convention and hotel space. Seems to me like MLB could reserve those spaces for the following year in both an AL city and an NL city, and then cancel one set of those next-year reservations the day after the game.

The uncertainty will be inconvenient for sponsors and annoy the convention and visitors' bureau folks, which is probably the biggest reason it will never happen.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 06-14-2006 at 11:30 PM.

Turn Off Ads?