Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field

Hybrid View

Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field

re: shift...George, if it were only that easy...

Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field
    By Ron Jackson

Staff Writer

MIAMISBURG | Former Cincinnati Reds great George Foster is not pleased with some players on his former team or the team in general. His critical comments were specifically aimed at Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr., on Tuesday while appearing at the "Extra Innings" baseball and softball training center.

His appearance benefitted Building Bridges and the George Foster Home for at-risk juveniles.

The five-time All-Star and 1977 National League MVP was asked if Griffey should move from center field to one of the corner outfield positions or first base.

"I would move him to first base," Foster said. "I was with Ken Sr. recently and I know he's discussed it with Junior, but it's an ego thing with him and he doesn't want to go to left or right. That would save his legs, but he's out to prove something; that he can win another Gold Glove in center.

"But there's lot of wear and tear involved with playing center or shortstop. They're demanding positions along with catcher. Junior's a player and he can play the angles and make the adjustment to either corner outfield or first base. As long as you have Junior at first, for instance, you don't need an offensive player in center. It would prolong Junior's career."

Foster helped to power the Big Red Machine teams of the 1970s. He said players were unselfish in that era.

"The beauty of the Big Red Machine was the chemistry," Foster said. "Players made switches for the good of the team or took extra batting practice. You don't see that in today's game as much. Junior and Adam Dunn should take extra BP to learn to break the defensive shift they face."

On the Reds' chances in '06: "I just don't know if they have the thoroughbreds, the stamina, to stay in the race when July comes. I worry they didn't work hard enough in March and April to prepare themselves to stay in the race."

Foster also feels the game needs to start giving back to the fans and needs a more stringent steroids policy.

"Now you have growth hormones to worry about," Foster said. "It's like chess or checkers and the players are trying to stay a step ahead of the program. It isn't even anymore. The performance enhancers increase the hand-eye coordination — the bat speed — so much that it is unbelievable. More so than the noticeable size."

Foster, 57, became a star after May 3, 1975 when manager Sparky Anderson moved Pete Rose to third base, opening up a spot in left for Foster, giving Ken Griffey Sr., a full-time job in right field and revving up the Big Red Machine. The Reds dominated, winning the World Series in '75 and '76. In 1977, Foster hit 52 home runs when it meant something and drove in 149 runs. He was the only major-leaguer to clout more than 50 homers in a season from 1965-90.

"We started dominating people and intimidating teams after that move," Foster said.

Foster lives in Greenwich, Conn., and still trains and instructs youngsters of all abilities at youth camps and batting cages. He will give his annual clinic at North Riverdale Little League's Fenner Fields today from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...14foster2.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Re: Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field

First of all, I was reading the article to see who Foster was...

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Hmmmmm, very interesting. First Eric Davis just comes out of the blue and says Jr. should switch positions now not a day later George Foster says basically the same thing. Seems like the Reds are trying to indirectly influence Jr. into switching positions.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Hmmmmm, very interesting. First Eric Davis just comes out of the blue and says Jr. should switch positions now not a day later George Foster says basically the same thing. Seems like the Reds are trying to indirectly influence Jr. into switching positions.
    We'll know the fix is in if Barry Larkin sounds off on it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    We'll know the fix is in if Barry Larkin sounds off on it.
    I'm just waiting for Kal Daniels' opinion.

If Junior isn't going to listen to the advice of his dad, then who will he listen to? Should make things interesting this offseason if Krivsky tells Junior he will be making a position shift.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I'm just waiting for Kal Daniels' opinion.
    I'm not making my mind up until I hear from Billy Hatcher.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I agree. Pretty sneaky of them and shows definite lack of big ones.

Who is this George Foster guy anyway?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

The other possibility other than a conspiracy theory is that everyone in the baseball world is asking the question and rightly so, and if you can call up a few ex-Reds and get them to weigh in on the issue, it makes great print.

If it is truly about another gold glove, that is an individual accomplishment that should pale in comparison to doing what is right for the team. I would be saddened if that is indeed what this is all about.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    I agree. Pretty sneaky of them and shows definite lack of big ones.
    Well, it's somewhat sneaky but I wouldn't say it lacks big ones. I would think they brought up the subject with him before. In January, Kullman said they had talked about it - now I don't know if "they" involved Jr. but he did say they talked about it. You saw how he reacted - or should I say overreacted - when the Angry Guys suggested he move. You think he took it any better when the front office people asked him if he'd consider it? Using former Reds greats to get their point of view across is pretty smart. Perhaps they feel if guys Jr. respects think he should move for health and longevity reasons, he would take it better.

Using former Reds greats to get their point of view across is pretty smart.
    Isn't the Reds motto "The Power of Tradition"?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Well, it's somewhat sneaky but I wouldn't say it lacks big ones. I would think they brought up the subject with him before. In January, Kullman said they had talked about it - now I don't know if "they" involved Jr. but he did say they talked about it. You saw how he reacted - or should I say overreacted - when the Angry Guys suggested he move. You think he took it any better when the front office people asked him if he'd consider it? Using former Reds greats to get their point of view across is pretty smart. Perhaps they feel if guys Jr. respects think he should move for health and longevity reasons, he would take it better.
    I was gonna say something like that. Now I don't have to
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    First of all, I was reading the article to see who Foster was...

LOL
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I was going to say the same thing macro .. I wonder if Dunn knows who this Foster guy is
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I was going to say the same thing macro .. I wonder if Dunn knows who this Foster guy is
    He should since a common slam on Dunn is "he's no George Foster"
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?