Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field

Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field

re: shift...George, if it were only that easy...

Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field
    By Ron Jackson

Staff Writer

MIAMISBURG | Former Cincinnati Reds great George Foster is not pleased with some players on his former team or the team in general. His critical comments were specifically aimed at Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr., on Tuesday while appearing at the "Extra Innings" baseball and softball training center.

His appearance benefitted Building Bridges and the George Foster Home for at-risk juveniles.

The five-time All-Star and 1977 National League MVP was asked if Griffey should move from center field to one of the corner outfield positions or first base.

"I would move him to first base," Foster said. "I was with Ken Sr. recently and I know he's discussed it with Junior, but it's an ego thing with him and he doesn't want to go to left or right. That would save his legs, but he's out to prove something; that he can win another Gold Glove in center.

"But there's lot of wear and tear involved with playing center or shortstop. They're demanding positions along with catcher. Junior's a player and he can play the angles and make the adjustment to either corner outfield or first base. As long as you have Junior at first, for instance, you don't need an offensive player in center. It would prolong Junior's career."

Foster helped to power the Big Red Machine teams of the 1970s. He said players were unselfish in that era.

"The beauty of the Big Red Machine was the chemistry," Foster said. "Players made switches for the good of the team or took extra batting practice. You don't see that in today's game as much. Junior and Adam Dunn should take extra BP to learn to break the defensive shift they face."

On the Reds' chances in '06: "I just don't know if they have the thoroughbreds, the stamina, to stay in the race when July comes. I worry they didn't work hard enough in March and April to prepare themselves to stay in the race."

Foster also feels the game needs to start giving back to the fans and needs a more stringent steroids policy.

"Now you have growth hormones to worry about," Foster said. "It's like chess or checkers and the players are trying to stay a step ahead of the program. It isn't even anymore. The performance enhancers increase the hand-eye coordination — the bat speed — so much that it is unbelievable. More so than the noticeable size."

Foster, 57, became a star after May 3, 1975 when manager Sparky Anderson moved Pete Rose to third base, opening up a spot in left for Foster, giving Ken Griffey Sr., a full-time job in right field and revving up the Big Red Machine. The Reds dominated, winning the World Series in '75 and '76. In 1977, Foster hit 52 home runs when it meant something and drove in 149 runs. He was the only major-leaguer to clout more than 50 homers in a season from 1965-90.

"We started dominating people and intimidating teams after that move," Foster said.

Foster lives in Greenwich, Conn., and still trains and instructs youngsters of all abilities at youth camps and batting cages. He will give his annual clinic at North Riverdale Little League's Fenner Fields today from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...14foster2.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field

First of all, I was reading the article to see who Foster was...

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Hmmmmm, very interesting. First Eric Davis just comes out of the blue and says Jr. should switch positions now not a day later George Foster says basically the same thing. Seems like the Reds are trying to indirectly influence Jr. into switching positions.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I was going to say the same thing macro .. I wonder if Dunn knows who this Foster guy is
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

That would be an interesting tangle--Dunn and Foster-- not sure who I'd put my money on there.

It does look like more than a coincidence. Now, if the solution for CF is getting McCracken more ABs...
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

RedsZone was on the case before ED and Foster...

The funny thing about Foster is that he had a reputation for not being a hard worker (I have no idea if it was true, I remember the perception was there) when with the Reds. He also took a lot of heat when he proclaimed that he was too valuable to the team to be diving for baseballs in the outfield and would no longer attempt any diving catches. Try to imagine the reaction if Jr or especially Dunn tried that one.

I have no idea why the stories are coming up all of sudden but I doubt Jr is listening. I guess maybe it is a plot hatched by the 2 Angry Guys.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I always felt like Foster didn't really try to be a good LF when he played. When he first started out he seemed pretty good. Just look at the play he made in game six of the '75 WS. But he didn't continue to work to get better and his skills diminished. I think there is a lot of truth to what Foster has said but he needs to think back to his own playing days and what he did before he criticizes todays players.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

His own playing days include 1977 when he was a one man wrecking crew:

197 H, 124 R, 31 2B, 2 3B, 52 HRs, 149 RBI and a .631 SLG.

And that was in an era before bandbox ballparks, games in Denver, and steroids.

Junior's career numbers obviously trump Foster's, but Foster's accomplishments should at least buy him 20 or 30 seconds of Junior's time.

And while Dunn has put up big numbers thus far in his career, he's got a ways to go to match George's single season or career numbers.

George is also putting his thoughts out there with something that neither Junior or Dunn have at this point: Retrospect.

Personally, I'd give some thought to what George had to say.

But I'll also admit that I'm slightly biased.

And Fosters best 3 years(76-78) as a player were at the age of 27/28/29. His numbers really fell off after age 30.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Hmmmmm, very interesting. First Eric Davis just comes out of the blue and says Jr. should switch positions now not a day later George Foster says basically the same thing. Seems like the Reds are trying to indirectly influence Jr. into switching positions.
    We'll know the fix is in if Barry Larkin sounds off on it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    We'll know the fix is in if Barry Larkin sounds off on it.
    I'm just waiting for Kal Daniels' opinion.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

If Junior isn't going to listen to the advice of his dad, then who will he listen to? Should make things interesting this offseason if Krivsky tells Junior he will be making a position shift.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    First of all, I was reading the article to see who Foster was...

LOL
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

If Griffey is trying to win a gold glove again, it may be his year then he can go to first. Edmond is sucking it up over at 1B so the only other popular choice for writers is Griffey.

Turn Off Ads?