Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another ex-Red weighs in on Griffey

Yay!

Another ex-Red weighs in on Griffey

Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field
    By Ron Jackson

Staff Writer

MIAMISBURG | Former Cincinnati Reds great George Foster is not pleased with some players on his former team or the team in general. His critical comments were specifically aimed at Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr., on Tuesday while appearing at the "Extra Innings" baseball and softball training center.

His appearance benefitted Building Bridges and the George Foster Home for at-risk juveniles.

The five-time All-Star and 1977 National League MVP was asked if Griffey should move from center field to one of the corner outfield positions or first base.

"I would move him to first base," Foster said. "I was with Ken Sr. recently and I know he's discussed it with Junior, but it's an ego thing with him and he doesn't want to go to left or right. That would save his legs, but he's out to prove something; that he can win another Gold Glove in center.

"But there's lot of wear and tear involved with playing center or shortstop. They're demanding positions along with catcher. Junior's a player and he can play the angles and make the adjustment to either corner outfield or first base. As long as you have Junior at first, for instance, you don't need an offensive player in center. It would prolong Junior's career."

Foster helped to power the Big Red Machine teams of the 1970s. He said players were unselfish in that era.

"The beauty of the Big Red Machine was the chemistry," Foster said. "Players made switches for the good of the team or took extra batting practice. You don't see that in today's game as much. Junior and Adam Dunn should take extra BP to learn to break the defensive shift they face."

On the Reds' chances in '06: "I just don't know if they have the thoroughbreds, the stamina, to stay in the race when July comes. I worry they didn't work hard enough in March and April to prepare themselves to stay in the race."

Foster also feels the game needs to start giving back to the fans and needs a more stringent steroids policy.

"Now you have growth hormones to worry about," Foster said. "It's like chess or checkers and the players are trying to stay a step ahead of the program. It isn't even anymore. The performance enhancers increase the hand-eye coordination — the bat speed — so much that it is unbelievable. More so than the noticeable size."

Foster, 57, became a star after May 3, 1975 when manager Sparky Anderson moved Pete Rose to third base, opening up a spot in left for Foster, giving Ken Griffey Sr., a full-time job in right field and revving up the Big Red Machine. The Reds dominated, winning the World Series in '75 and '76. In 1977, Foster hit 52 home runs when it meant something and drove in 149 runs. He was the only major-leaguer to clout more than 50 homers in a season from 1965-90.

"We started dominating people and intimidating teams after that move," Foster said.

Foster lives in Greenwich, Conn., and still trains and instructs youngsters of all abilities at youth camps and batting cages. He will give his annual clinic at North Riverdale Little League's Fenner Fields today from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...14foster2.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another ex-Red weighs in on Griffey

Does Fostor know that Griffey arrives early every day to take insane amounts of BP?

Yay!

Well, after I posted this I see who wrote it. Ron Jackson... nice guy, but not a guy who really should be writing such fodder. He should stick to covering Warren County high school games. I'm not surprised that such words came from him. Foster most likely though no one would read it if this guy wrote it, so I'll say whatever I want.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

it's an ego thing with him and he doesn't want to go to left or right. That would save his legs, but he's out to prove something; that he can win another Gold Glove in center.
    Right there is an argument for setting criteria for or eliminating the GG awards altogether. Too often it goes to the best offensive player at a position.

If he moves to 1B, he knows he can't beat Pujols for the GG. :

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

What bugs me about this is that now Griffey is put in a no win situation. Either he stays put and looks like a stubborn old curmudgeon or he moves and concedes that he's been wrong about his abilities.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So they outta just trade him to the Whitesox and let him be a DH like he should be anyway. The reds need the money and have plenty of OFs to replace him, they don't have a catcher than can catch a put out at home anyway!
    Last edited by BigJohn; 06-14-2006 at 11:19 AM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn
    So they outta just trade him to the Whitesox and let him be a DH like he should be anyway.
    I don't think he'll be able to win any Gold Gloves as a DH.

Since Griffey can veto any trade, it's a safe bet he won't accept that one.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    ISince Griffey can veto any trade, it's a safe bet he won't accept that one.
    If this team continues to slide, I think he'd go to Chicago for a chance to play in the playoffs.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Does Fostor know that Griffey arrives early every day to take insane amounts of BP?
    Foster more than knows... There's taking BP to stay in a groove and there's BP to work on adjustments. Griff pulls the ball and can get away with it at times.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn
    So they outta just trade him to the Whitesox and let him be a DH like he should be anyway. The reds need the money and have plenty of OFs to replace him, they don't have a catcher than can catch a put out at home anyway!
    The Sox DH is Thome. Junior would have to play CF everyday.

It's starting to seem like everyone thinks Junior should switch positions except the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Ken Sr. has a great deal of influence with JR. I am sure if those two talked about it, it is being discussed seriously by JR. That being said I think we might see Jr at first base but not until he spends some time there in spring training 07. Too hard to flip positions in mid year especially from OF to first base.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Ken Sr. has a great deal of influence with JR. I am sure if those two talked about it, it is being discussed seriously by JR. That being said I think we might see Jr at first base but not until he spends some time there in spring training 07. Too hard to flip positions in mid year especially from OF to first base.
    I don't want him going to 1B, I want him going to LF. I think he would be a very good defensive LFer.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

George Foster and Eric Davis should stop talking to reporters about this issue. They can call for Griffey to move when they have a baseball resume equal to that of Griffey. The choice to move griffey should be done within the organization not in the newspaper. I do think griffey would be a great 1B but at this point i don't think we have a better CF on the roster. Freel can cover ground but doesn't have the arm or accuracy. And i'm not paid to make baseball decisions for the reds.

Quote Originally Posted by steig
    George Foster and Eric Davis should stop talking to reporters about this issue. They can call for Griffey to move when they have a baseball resume equal to that of Griffey.
    At least that explains why Narron won't address the issue. He's got nowhere near the baseball resume to question Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I don't think he'll be able to win any Gold Gloves as a DH.
    Rafael Palmeiro says hi.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?