Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In retrospect, would you do a Ryan for a Guzman again??

Re: In retrospect, would you do a Ryan for a Guzman again??

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I thought it was "Eat Ben & Jerry's"
    Hmm..ice cream.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I thought it was "Eat Ben & Jerry's"
    Maybe it was..."Eat Cherry Garcia"...One of B & J's most popular flavors.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I agree on Rolen, 15. But I think the problem was money, not prospects. The Phillies weren't willing to gaurantee a negotiation window for a long term deal and ownership was unwilling to take the risk that he'd demand too much or wouldn't sign at all.
    I woulda dealt for Rolen and wouldn't have cared whether there was a contract extension in place. If Rolen would have signed with the Reds, great.

(After all, he was looking for a home in the midwest, and with Casey/Boone/Graves off the payroll, there woulda been plenty of jack to ink Rolen longterm.)

Had he walked at the end of the season, there woulda been 2 comp picks in the subsequent draft. And if he signed with St. Loo after finishing the season in Cincy, the comp picks would have come at the Cards expense.

It was win win. As it turns out, Rolen went to St. Loo, and the Reds got stuck with guys who were overpaid for their on the field performance. That's lose lose.

i thought the rolen and colon trades were done by bowden but ownership nixed them?
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    i thought the rolen and colon trades were done by bowden but ownership nixed them?
    SO claimed Bowden, IMO the Reds made offers but it was far from the mean owners shutting it down, more like Bowden covering his rear
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan

(After all, he was looking for a home in the midwest, and with Casey/Boone/Graves off the payroll, there woulda been plenty of jack to ink Rolen longterm.)
    Wait, why would these guys have been off the payroll? They were not the players in the Reds' offer.

Bowden also is quoted repeating a statement he made on his radio program on July 31, the day of the trading deadline, that the Phillies preferred the Reds' offer for Rolen to that of the Cardinals. The newspaper also reports that the Reds' offer included infielder Brandon Larson, reliever Scott Williamson and second baseman Todd Walker.
    This is from a Cincinnati Post article. I never once read about the Reds making an offer of Casey, Graves, and Boone. They were hoping to contend by acquiring Rolen. With Rolen at third, Boone was going to move to second. The hope was to solidify their line-up, not to strip it.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

When you consider that the Cards got him for Polanco, Timlin, and Bud Smith, you have to believe the Reds could (and did) make the better offer. It was about money, pure and simple.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?