Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The All-Awful Team - The Worst Everyday Players in the majors

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

The All-Awful Team - The Worst Everyday Players in the majors

So it's dishonerable mention time.

Here is a collection of the worst nine everday players current taking up roster spots in the majors.

For this, we define an 'everyday' player as someone, as of the end of last night's games (06/13/06), has at least 175 plate appearances - an approx. average of 3 a game.

Here are the winners

Manning the outfield
    Willy Tavares - .266AVG/.320OBP/.313SLG in 258PA
    Craig Monroe - .232AVG/.272OBP/.412SLG in 224 PA
    Juan Pierre - .241AVG/..284OBP/.305SLG in 288PA
    Pierre and Tavares have the equal distinction of being awful hitters at the top of each of their teams lineup. Taveras has split time between the 1 and 2 spots in the order, while Pierre has his name in the leadoff spot written in pen. In a prime example of the old adage 'you can't steal first base', both the Cubs and the Astros rank in the bottom 3rd of the majors in runs scored. Speed kills, and both players have a quick first step towards the dugout that has few rivals. Monroe makes the cut just above fellow sub-.700 OPS outfielders Payton & Burnitz on the rank nature of his low OBP. His slugging is higher than any other on the All-Awful team, but even the Fightin' Mendozas need a big bopper.
    In the team photo
    Jeff Francouer (.249AVG/.266OBP/.450SLG in 278PA)
    Jay Payton (.259AVG/.280OBP/.363SLG in 200PA)
    Jeromy Burnitz (.233AVG/.282OBP/.416SLG in 217PA)

Taking up the infield
    Juan Uribe - .198AVG/.229OBP/.308SLG in 194PA
    Clint Barmes - .212AVG/.238OBP/.329SLG in 244PA
    Vinny Castilla - .218AVG/.259OBP/.291SLG in 193PA
    Richie Sexson - .204AVG/.270OBP/.380SLG in 270PA
    Brian Anderson is getting all the pub for being a boat anchor in Chicago, but you have to wonder why his center of the field mate Uribe isn't getting the same heat. Barmes should be drawn and quartered for not being able to hit in Coors, humidor or not it's still a boost to offensive stats even without the home runs. What would he be putting up in Washington? In Castilla's case, it maybe the only time where a trading partner that ended up reciving a pitcher with a torn rotator cuff won out in the deal. Richie Sexson is well known as one of the worst fielders in baseball. And he inhabits the defensive position on the diamond that requires, by far, the least amount of skills. So he can't hit, he can't field, and he's one of the highest 25 paid players in the game. Awesome.
    In the team photo
    Travis Lee (.207AVG/.268OBP/.316SLG in 190PA)
    Adrian Beltre (.234AVG/.294OBP/.339SLG in 269PA)
    Adam Everett (.212AVG/.275OBP/.301SLG in 212PA)
    Angel Berroa (.255AVG/.267OBP/.366SLG in 223PA)

Behind the plate
    Yadier Molina - .214AVG/.271OBP/.301SLG in 191PA
    I want to cut Molina some slack. Catchers have the toughest defensive spot on the field, so the beauty of good hitting/good fielding catchers is something to behold when you see it. And someone has to be last in the majors. But Molina wins this spot going away. A .600OPS is just downright awful, and every major league everyday catcher but Yadier has managed to reach that mark in 2006. Maybe it's something that Tony LaRussa puts in the water that prevents his catchers from hitting, as Mike Matheny had this spot reserved for the better part of a decade.
    In the team photo
    Mike Matheny (.231AVG/.276OBP/.338SLG in 177PA)
    Rod Barajas (.256AVG/.293OBP/.390SLG in 185PA)

Designated Hitter
    Rondell White - .190AVG/.209OBP/.224SLG in 182PA
    Perhaps White's performance is the most egregious. His job after all, his only responsibility on the baseball field, is to get hits and get on base. Most other players have some form of redeeming baseball qualities in the way of a glove, or at least one form of offense they at least aren't completely putrid at. Not Rondell. White has managed an unusual trifecta, he sweeps the awful Triple Crown as the worst everyday hitter in AVG, OBP & SLG. White is so bad he really has no contemporaries for the All-Awful team. As such, we've left off the "in the team photo" option for the DH.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 06-14-2006 at 06:34 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The All-Awful Team - The Worst Everyday Players in the majors

Nice work McClain - i'd be interested in the All-Surprise Team for this half of 2006.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Nice work McClain - i'd be interested in the All-Surprise Team for this half of 2006.
    MVP-2b Brandon Phillips

How is Brain Anderson not on the worst everyday players team? He is terrible.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    How is Brain Anderson not on the worst everyday players team? He is terrible.
    I frequent over at soxtalk.com and Brian Anderson is the White Sox answer to Edwin Encarnacion circa 2005. They basically told him the job is his and he has to work through it. Believe me, the tradewinds section of that message board is filled with CF names. But, most of the people on the board are staunch Anderson supporters.

Yeah he sucks, but he's gonna get better.

I frequent over at soxtalk.com and Brian Anderson is the White Sox answer to Edwin Encarnacion circa 2005. They basically told him the job is his and he has to work through it. Believe me, the tradewinds section of that message board is filled with CF names. But, most of the people on the board are staunch Anderson supporters.

Yeah he sucks, but he's gonna get better.
    The difference is EE hit .230 and Anderson is hitting .160. Also we did it in July when we were out of it, but the White Sox are doing it in a pennant race. He will get better yes, but right now he is one of the, if not the worst position player in baseball.

Facing him, Uribe, and the pitcher as the Sox 7-8-9 will be a nice break for our pitchers. Also them not being able to play Thome and Konerko at the same time will help.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

BA only has 157PA on the season so he didn't meet my criteria.

Anderson, Aubrey Huff and Juan Castro were all on the cusp, but didn't have enough PAs to be included.

No Reds...that's an improvement
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19

Anderson, Aubrey Huff and Juan Castro were all on the cusp, but didn't have enough PAs to be included.
    Aubrey Huff - sigh. Someone's gonna take that guy, put him at DH/1b and he'll rake. Tampa Bay needs to part with him soon.

Aubrey Huff - sigh. Someone's gonna take that guy, put him at DH/1b and he'll rake. Tampa Bay needs to part with him soon.
    Well they certainly aren't trading him anytime soon. Thanks to his poor performance the return would be minimal. He has literally played himself out of a trade.

He gets some slack thanks to the injury, but he's been anything but productive since his return.

Way too many of my fantasy team players on that list!
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    No Reds...that's an improvement
    Dang it, Krono! You spoke too soon!

Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Juan Castro - .231AVG/.258OBP/.308SLG in 164PA

He'd be right at home on the Fightin' Mendozas

Juan Castro - .231AVG/.258OBP/.308SLG in 164PA

He'd be right at home on the Fightin' Mendozas
    Maybe they wanted to create contrast between he and the Reds?
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    Dang it, Krono! You spoke too soon!

Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?