Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question About the Lizard

A Question About the Lizard

He will always be the Lizard to me...I refuse to call him E-Z.

Anyway, that was one hell of a game he threw today, and his body of work is starting to be broad enough this season that I am ginning up some real enthusiasm for him and hope for the future. His fastball has life and tops out at around 92 (sometimes 93) as near as I can tell from watching his starts, with some decent breaking stuff.

As I understand it from previous discussions on him in various and sundry threads, his minor league numbers provided mixed signals as to what he might be as a major leaguer. So, now we have a 23-year-old who is enjoying some real success with the club, just wondering what the observers herein think of his developing game, his projection to the future etc.

Basically, I have seen enough of him at this point, that I am starting to get a little optimistic that there is more goodness to come. I am also pleased that he is missing the occasional bats.

So, any thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: A Question About the Lizard

membengal, as you could probably tell from my post on the live forum, I think you're looking at a younger version of Brad Radke.

His stuff is average, but when his fastball his some zip, he's able to keep people off balance. Everything depends on that fastball staying in the 90+ range and his control. If he keeps people off base, the hits don't hurt as much and he'll continue to avoid the big inning. If he starts to lose his control or the fastball slows down to where people don't have watch for it, not only will he be walking more people, but his average stuff becomes that much more hittable and he'll be in trouble.

I think we're looking at a guy who could top out as a 4.00ish #3 starter who will eat innings and even strike some guys out (see Brad Radke in 1997). Worst case scenario, his command eludes him, he starts walking guys and he implodes. That's what we saw in his short stint last year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Trade him away for some pitching....

oh...wait...

Usually when a player borders on good, we make threads on what kind of trade he'd garner.

This could be a case of a guy learning his craft and maturing as he gets more experience. Adding (or getting better at throwing) the circle change has probably also helped. (Thanks, Mario.)

His commarnd was good today. It's actually the first time I've seen him pitch and I was impressed. Doesn't seem to rattle easily, either.

All in all, I've got some hope for this young man. He's certainly a lot better than what the Reds had been running out in that spot.

Rem

PS: I like 'The Lizard' also.

Man Pills

You realize: we have DanO to thank for the Lizard.

I like that trade of Lidle more and more everytime I think about it. Javon Moran is not exactly a slouch down in Chattanooga either.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Main reason why I'm not on the Lizard band wagon yet
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Main reason why I'm not on the Lizard band wagon yet
    Ah, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile...but eventually he will wander too close to the middle of the road and...
    Last edited by Spitball; 06-14-2006 at 09:27 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Ah, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile...but eventually he will wander too close to the middle of the road and...
    End up in Milwaukee????

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm not sure what to think about his future. His minor-league indicators are nothing special. But it's important to remember how quickly promoted, no doubt overpromoted, he was: Double-A and a cup of coffee in the Show at 21, Triple-A and a stint in the majors at 22, now probably up for good (fingers crossed) at 23. He battles and he's got some more development left in him, as evidenced by the K/9 going up this year.

As for the type of pitcher he is, his stuff isn't incredible and he doesn't have an off-the-charts out pitch and he'll need to have good command to not be lit up, but that describes 90% or more of MLB pitchers. At his age, there's still a good chance he can be a useful #3-4 guy. It's all about consistent command for him.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

He's a command guy who's stuff isn't total garbage. I'll take it.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I remember hearing something about blind squirrels and acorns once.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I remember hearing something about blind squirrels and acorns once.
    Was that an echo?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

He's got some real good movement on some of his pitches.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I don't understand why so many folks in baseball, including his own manager, keep apologizing for his stuff. Very few guys throw harder. OK, he peaks at 93. That's better than Arroyo, Maddux, Glavine and today's version of Pedro Martinez and I'd venture to guess better than half the starting pitchers in MLB. He has good movement and he can change speeds. I see no reason why he can't hold a spot on a good big league rotation.

Turn Off Ads?