Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs signs for $2 milion

Stubbs signs for $2 milion

per Marc's blog...

Reds first-round pick Drew Stubbs signed earlier today for $2 million. He'll report to Billings this weekend for a couple of days of camp before the Mustangs' season begins Tuesday. "Obviously, he wants to play and we want to get him out there, so that's good stuff," said Reds senior director of scouting Chris Buckley. "He's a good kid, good family, we're happy to have him."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...ubbs-signs.asp
    Last edited by RFS62; 06-14-2006 at 09:09 PM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stubbs signs for $2 milion

Nice. Glad to see that happen quickly.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Welcome aboard!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

What will his nickname be? Stubby?

:ughmamoru

Nice work Wayne. Hopefully the kid pans out.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Lot of cash for a guy who's never swung a wood bat
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    What will his nickname be? Stubby?

:ughmamoru

The Stubbinator?

Stubbzilla?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Lot of cash for a guy who's never swung a wood bat
    Actually Krono - that's a common misconception

Stubbs played on Team USA, which uses wood bats, and hit .304 last summer

http://www.usabaseball.com/sports/m-...bs_drew00.html

Ahh, good to see.
    Go Gators!

I know this will not change, but I absolutely HATE these huge signing bonuses for a player who's never even stepped a foot on a minor league ball field, much less a big league park.

I just hate it. $2 million, for what? Absolutely nothing at this point; it's a gift for playing well in HS or college... a gift.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I know this will not change, but I absolutely HATE these huge signing bonuses for a player who's never even stepped a foot on a minor league ball field, much less a big league park.

I just hate it. $2 million, for what? Absolutely nothing at this point; it's a gift for playing well in HS or college... a gift.
    This must be our day to agree, TB. I loathe this crap. Paying $2 million to a 20 year old or an 18 year old for that matter is basically like flushing millions upon millions down the john.

There's got to be a better way.

Ticket
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Well we could ask RCast to draft a guy who doesn't want $2 million as a signing bonus. I guess if pro-baseball wasn't paying these guys of bonuses you'd have many more atheletes going to Gridiron and Basketball.

got alil captain in u?

good job getting the kid signed quick now he can get down to playing baseball

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone

I'm not sure what the case is nowadays, but I do remember reading somewhere that these bonuses are not just a check to cash immediately.

The payments are phased out over several years, and contingent on obtaining certain goals. I remember somewhere that if a player didn't make it the bigs he wouldn't collect the full bonus.

Somebody help with this...there's always someone who knows more about these details.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?