Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs signs for $2 milion

Re: Stubbs signs for $2 milion

The situation you stated is the rare exception. 99% of the time they are exactly a check to cash right then.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

In light of Ben Rothlisberger's accident, I wonder if the Reds wrote in his contract that prohibits him from motorcycle riding, sking, and other activities that could have an adverse effect on his career.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed
    The situation you stated is the rare exception. 99% of the time they are exactly a check to cash right then.
    Wow...really? It sounds really, really crazy then.

I mean what if the dude quits after couple of months and decides to go to college or to meditate in the Himalayas?

What do the REDs typicall spend on their picks in a year? 5 - 10 MM?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

He could quit. On the other hand, these guys all want to play major league baseball and earn millions per year. Quitting isn't a problem, the success rate of draftees and whether they are worth it is the question.

I'd say 4 million a year on draftees.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Draft pay scale would be a nice addition to the next labor contract

I know..hillrious idea
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Well we could ask RCast to draft a guy who doesn't want $2 million as a signing bonus. I guess if pro-baseball wasn't paying these guys of bonuses you'd have many more atheletes going to Gridiron and Basketball.

They already are. Not sure whom posted it but there was an article on Redszone about black players donating 10 k a piece to inner city youth across america to get kids playing the game again.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    They already are. Not sure whom posted it but there was an article on Redszone about black players donating 10 k a piece to inner city youth across america to get kids playing the game again.

That's awesome, imo. Good stuff.

And Krono, few things would help baseball as much as using/having a slott money draft. I think that would improve baseball as a whole. We can hope....

I'm just glad they are going after a college level kid (age 21) who has had a few years (over an 18 yr old), to fill out and mature a little bit more.

And a academic All-American too from Texas. Put his locker next to Dunn's.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Draft pay scale would be a nice addition to the next labor contract

I know..hillrious idea
    I believe that there already is a 'slotted' payscale although it may be somewhat informal. The commissioners office 'suggests' the amount of money for each slot.

Seems to me that the players union was not opposed to scaleing down the draft bonuses and alloting a certain amount for each position. Not that they were being magnanimous mind you, they saw that move as freeing up more of 'their money' at the MLB level. :

Rem

2nd rounder Sean Watson also signed.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Lot of cash for a guy who's never swung a wood bat
    Well, he was rated the second best position player in the draft though. We've got to trust the scout's judgement here. Dunn and Kearns probably didn't use Wooden bats in high school.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper

I mean what if the dude quits after couple of months and decides to go to college or to meditate in the Himalayas?

What do the REDs typicall spend on their picks in a year? 5 - 10 MM?
    Actually, one of the Devil Ray's guys (Was it Josh Booty?) got a huge bonus, played in the minors for a year or two and then wanted to quit and play SEC football. IIRC, the Ray's sued him to get part of the signing bonus back. I think Josh eventually went back to the minors so he wouldn't have to pay back the cash, but I'm not positive.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Well, he was rated the second best position player in the draft though.
    Yep. Some rated him as the best college athlete in this year's draft class.

We've got to trust the scout's judgement here.
    Scouts know more then us?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper

If he quits, he has to give the signing bonus back -- at least that's how the NFL works. I don't know about MLB.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    This must be our day to agree, TB. I loathe this crap. Paying $2 million to a 20 year old or an 18 year old for that matter is basically like flushing millions upon millions down the john.

There's got to be a better way.
    And I agree with you... There a full moon today?

Turn Off Ads?