Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carson Kainer(Reds 14th rd pick) needs kidney transplant

Re: Carson Kainer(Reds 14th rd pick) needs kidney transplant

Did he just not enroll at UT for the fall because of his surgery? With the college kids don't they usually have to go to class in the fall to be eligible in the spring?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

What a terrific story...hope he continues to progress...
    There and Back Again...

I thought i remember reading around the draft that this kid was a lot better than a 14th round pick. Hes already a fan favorite in my book.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

"I've followed him since high school, and we always knew he could swing the bat,'' Snipp said. "I told him he could be a pioneer in baseball. He has all this energy, and we hope he can transfer it over to the baseball field."
    And this will come true right away, as I'm thinking the Reds will start Kainer at Billings. Chances are Kainer will dominate the Pioneer League much the way major-college bats like Danny Dorn, Chris Valaika, and Justin Turner did, but waiting for short-season ball also gives him some time to get his strength back.

And this will come true right away, as I'm thinking the Reds will start Kainer at Billings. Chances are Kainer will dominate the Pioneer League much the way major-college bats like Danny Dorn, Chris Valaika, and Justin Turner did, but waiting for short-season ball also gives him some time to get his strength back.
    Good point. I'd think that if he hits right away, they may reunite him with Stubbs. Kinda like what they had with college buddies Turner and Dorn.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Well, Kainer hit .335/.411/.443 in '04, .312/.391/.411 in '05, and .364/.425/.550 in '06 for the Longhorns. That '06 season was a higher BA that Stubbs', but a lower OBP/SLG.

Carson looks like he doesn't have much power or speed at this point, but hits a ton of singles and doubles and makes consistent contact with an average walk rate.

These three-year numbers are comparable to Dorn's and better than the CSF duo (Valaika/Turner). Dorn fell far in the draft because he missed about a third of his senior season with injuries. Valaika fell in the draft because he missed all of one year and most of a second with injuries. Turner hit eight homers in four seasons with aluminum, then slugged over .500 for Billings with six bombs with wood.

So you just never know how a college player will adjust, but prospects appear good that Kainer will have no problem in the Pioneer League, at least. However, other college players with good numbers (like most of the '04 draft class) can have a helluva time figuring out pro pitching.

Kainer's main obstacle in the fact that he'll be 22 and most of the way to 23 before he makes a professional at-bat. So those first two seasons are paramount.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 11-03-2006 at 04:39 PM.

Turn Off Ads?