Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: For Fans Of Christian Music

  1. #1
    Member dman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Grove City, Ohio
    Posts
    1,385

    For Fans Of Christian Music

    Steven Curtis Chapman will be at the Ohio State Fair this year (Aug. 7th at 7:00 P.M.). Also, 4HIM will be at my daughters school (Madison Christian Church in Groveport on September 8th at 7:00 P.M. This will likely be their only date that comes even close to the Cincinnati/Dayton area for their farewell tour. More info on this can be found at www.madisonchristian.org

    The 4HIM concert is dear to me because we have known the guys for some time and it being at my daughter's school helps them out by giving the school more visibilty.
    Last edited by dman; 06-14-2006 at 10:34 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,572

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Thanks for posting this
    Go Gators!

  4. #3
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,564

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    I saw Steven Curtis Chapman at Icthus back in...(must have been 1993-1994). That was around the time of the Great Adventure tour. Great guy and a great concert.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  5. #4
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,659

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    I'd like to see Phil Keaggy. That guy can play a guitar.

    In 1970 a rock power trio out of Youngstown Ohio called Glass Harp stood on the verge of superstardom. Propelled by the impressive guitar playing of 19 year old Phil Keaggy, the popular young band had secured a record deal and were opening up for the Kinks at Carnegie Hall in New York city. Their performance was being recorded to be released as a live album -- success seemed inevitable. Yet behind the scenes things were not as they appeared. After suffering the loss of his mother the previous year, Phil began questioning his budding rock star lifestyle and embraced Christianity. He would soon leave Glass Harp and launch a successful and enduring career in the newly forming Christian music field. His choice to pursue Christian service over rock star fame has kept him from becoming a household name, but his playing stands in a class by itself.

    Not bad for a guy who is missing half of the middle finger on his right hand due to a childhood accident involving a water pump.

    Two other Christian bands I really enjoy are DeGarmo and Key and White Heart.

    This is one power rock album

    Last edited by GAC; 06-15-2006 at 07:21 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  6. #5
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    In Dayton on Saturday, June 16th, there will be the David Crowder Band playing a free concert at Island Park.

    If you want some serious rock sounds with a good message I recommend Audio A & Audio Slave.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  7. #6
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I'd like to see Phil Keaggy. That guy can play a guitar.

    In 1970 a rock power trio out of Youngstown Ohio called Glass Harp stood on the verge of superstardom. Propelled by the impressive guitar playing of 19 year old Phil Keaggy, the popular young band had secured a record deal and were opening up for the Kinks at Carnegie Hall in New York city. Their performance was being recorded to be released as a live album -- success seemed inevitable. Yet behind the scenes things were not as they appeared. After suffering the loss of his mother the previous year, Phil began questioning his budding rock star lifestyle and embraced Christianity. He would soon leave Glass Harp and launch a successful and enduring career in the newly forming Christian music field. His choice to pursue Christian service over rock star fame has kept him from becoming a household name, but his playing stands in a class by itself.

    Not bad for a guy who is missing half of the middle finger on his right hand due to a childhood accident involving a water pump.
    When you see him play, he uses Lee press on nails as a pick. He gave a guitar demonstation before a concert once. It was seriously cool.

    Phil Keaggy was Eddie Van Halen before Eddie was even cool.
    Last edited by Heath; 06-15-2006 at 08:24 AM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  8. #7
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,574

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    When you see him play, he uses Lee press on nails as a pick. He gave a guitar demonstation before a concert once. It was seriously cool.

    Phil Keaggy was Alex Van Halen before Alex was even cool.
    Alex is the drummer. Eddie is the guitarist.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  9. #8
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Alex is the drummer. Eddie is the guitarist.
    standed corrected.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  10. #9
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,564

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Phil Keaggy is like Alex and Eddie all rolled into one.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  11. #10
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Man, I had a roommate in college who played this "God is God and I am not" song WAY too much... generally I enjoyed the SCC stuff, but man, I couldn't help but make fun of that one...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  12. #11
    Bunn-O-matic max venable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Posts
    2,745

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    In Dayton on Saturday, June 16th, there will be the David Crowder Band playing a free concert at Island Park.

    If you want some serious rock sounds with a good message I recommend Audio A & Audio Slave.
    Crowder is phenominal. If you can get there, do it!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

  13. #12
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,659

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Man, I had a roommate in college who played this "God is God and I am not" song WAY too much... generally I enjoyed the SCC stuff, but man, I couldn't help but make fun of that one...
    Ever hear DeGarmo & Key's "God Good, Devil Bad"?

    My kids played that simplistic song, with repetitive chords, till I almost wanted to pull my hair out or convert to satanism. Drove me nuts!!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  14. #13
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Ever hear DeGarmo & Key's "God Good, Devil Bad"?

    My kids played that simplistic song, with repetitive chords, till I almost wanted to pull my hair out or convert to satanism. Drove me nuts!!
    When I was looking at a Christian college in Florida, I turned it on the colleges Christian radio station. When I heard "God told Noah, told Noah, there's going to be a floodie floodie", I turned it off as quick as I could.

    Needless to say, I decided not to go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  15. #14
    Member dman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Grove City, Ohio
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Man, I had a roommate in college who played this "God is God and I am not" song WAY too much... generally I enjoyed the SCC stuff, but man, I couldn't help but make fun of that one...
    Of all the great songs SCC has made, this is my least favorite. I don't know how they decide on what songs to be released as singles, but my favorite by SCC is "This Day" off of the Declaration C.D. I love the message behind "God Is God", but musically it's my least favorite.

  16. #15
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,043

    Re: For Fans Of Christian Music

    Speaking of Keaggy, I had the pleasure of meeting him about 15 years ago after a concert he did at a small church. We just talked about music and faith and a host of other topics for close to an hour before he had to go. That was a great evening. He has to be one of the most versatile guitarists I've ever heard, and a pretty humble person to boot.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25