Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A real, legit closer is what we need..now

A real, legit closer is what we need..now

I think that the time is now to make a deal for a real closer. You can make an augument that if we had a REAL stopper in the bull pen, we could have won at least 2 of the 4 games we have lost in a row. Coffey, who pitched far better as a set up guy could have pitched against the Cubs and not have given up the grandslam. He could have pitched the 8th tonight against the Brewers and held the lead (actually started the inning and not take over for Mercer with men on base). I can live with our starting pitching the rest of the season, I can even live with the current defensive lineup, errors included.

We score enough runs to keep us in most games. (a chance to win in the ninth, 3 of our 4 current losses)

If the management thinks Kearns and Dunn is our future...fine, then you need to package Deno, and whoever to get a closer. Deno has nothing else to prove in AAA, he's ready for the majors, either with us or another ball club. His trade value has never been higher.

If Deno is our future, then Kearns needs to be traded. We have something to trade that has value. With a real closer, there is no reason why we can't win 90 games this year. Even with the current bullpen, we are 8 games over
    .500 and on pace to win 93 games. The time is now...let's get it done.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A real, liget closer is what we need..now

I don't think we need a top closer, just another reliable arm in the pen to go with Coffey, one can set up the other can close.
    Go Gators!

I don't think Deno would bring you a closer. Lopez, Dunn, or Kearns it would probably take to get a "lights out" closer. Deno would probably bring you a more of Damaso Marte type from the Pirates.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-13-2006 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

The Reds need more than a legit closer. They need a complete overhaul of the bullpen. The Reds bullpen is as bad as any they have had in the last 5 years. Coffey has been good until this point, but he hasn't been so great the last couple times out.

tick, tick, tick...it's time for Krivsky to make some moves.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

These are liget...will calm down your nerves in those ''closing" situations..

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

A complete bullpen overhaul could be for the better. Get rid of the dead weight: White, Yan, Mays, Merker, Hammond. Stop relying on the has beens for your setup men, and make some trades for some younger, fresher, yet proven arms.
    Gee, that sounds easy on paper.
    Too bad it is not so.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    A complete bullpen overhaul could be for the better. Get rid of the dead weight: White, Yan, Mays, Merker, Hammond. Stop relying on the has beens for your setup men, and make some trades for some younger, fresher, yet proven arms.
    Gee, that sounds easy on paper.
    Too bad it is not so.
    i think it will eventually happen, but in will probably be November or December before it does.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I don't think we need a top closer, just another reliable arm in the pen to go with Coffey, one can set up the other can close.
    Agree that we don't need another closer...disagree b/c we need more than one arm. But it's a start.

Re: A real, legit closer is what we need..now

The term closer is overrated. Send Coffey in when he's needed the most... and if he needs to pitch two innings, by all means do it!

Just because he's been officially named the Reds closer, why does that mean he can't be used as he was before? It's obvious it was more productive.

Just because he's been officially named the Reds closer, is it etched in stone so deep that it can't be recinded?

Just because he's been officially named the Reds closer, does it mean the Reds would rather succumb to defeat than use him in the most effective manner?

Just because he's been officially named the Reds closer, does it mean he automatically qualifies for one inning?

Just because he's been officially named the Reds closer, does it mean he automatically qualifies for only the 9th inning?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then something is radically wrong. Let's get back to winning games and one thing that's going to help the team do that is to use Coffey whenever a tight situation warrents it. It was working; this new set up is not.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Hammond's been actually pretty decent since his early season sucktitude. That guy could pitch until 90 yrs old with the lack of stress that a 55mph puts on an arm...

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Hammond's been actually pretty decent since his early season sucktitude. That guy could pitch until 90 yrs old with the lack of stress that a 55mph puts on an arm...
    Hammond has really surprised since his, as you so eloquently put it, early season suckitude. I bet he's the pitcher that the most people have seen and said "I could hit that"
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Rather than a "closer" I'd like a couple of healthy arms that can pitch in the 7th and 8th inning to help bridge the game to Mr. Coffey.

As a suggestion, how about bring Elmer Dessens back from KC? He can't be that expensive and he may be able to do the job (at least better than a Mr. White from Springfield has done).
    Where we gonna go?

No one has been able to step up and fill the void that was left when Coffey became closer. The 7th and 8th innings are now trouble spots where it was the 9th that was shaky when Weathers was healthy. Narron needs to scrap the closer role and turn to a new term stopper until a trade can be made or we trust some guys we have in the minors. If a starter gets in trouble in inning 7 bring Coffey in to stop the rally then. No need to save him for the 9th when we are behind. Have to change your philosophy to fit the team you have.

The Reds need inning eaters from the age of 23-30, guys with stuff and the ability to top 70 innings. A BP of guys in their 30's with slow junk and no staying power is late inning batting practice.

It's been 4 seasons since the Reds sniffed one of those guys much alone two or three. Coffey's a good start but I'd like 2 more of him, then guys like Hammond compliment them.

We need another Todd Coffey and we'll be fine. Todd Coffey isn't "lights out" material, but he's pretty dang good. Another guy like him to come in and get outs with inherited runners is what we need.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

Turn Off Ads?