Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rank these Reds trades of the last ten years

Rank these Reds trades of the last ten years

How would you rank them? Where do Krivsky's deals rate on the list? Is it too early to really know? Here are some significant ones to consider:

Reggie Sanders and Damian Jackson to SD for Greg Vaughn and Mike Sweeney
    Wily Mo Pena to BOS for Bronson Arroyo
    Mike Cameron, Brett Tomko, Antonio Perez and Jake Meyer to SEA for Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Jeff Shaw to LAD for Paul Konerko and Dennys Reyes.
    Dave Burba to CLE for Sean Casey
    Paul Konerko to CHW for Mike Cameron
    Jeff Stevens to CLE for Brandon Phillips
    Cory Lidle to PHI for Elizardo Ramirez, Joe Wilson and Javon Moran
    Brett Boone and Mike Remlinger to ATL for Denny Neagle, Michael Tucker and Rob Bell
    Sean Casey to PIT for Dave Williams
    Rob Bell to TEX for Ruben Mateo and Edwin Encarnacion
    Ben Broussard to CLE for Russell Branyan
    Jeff Brantley to STL for Dmitri Young
    Dmitri Young to DET for Juan Encarnacion
    Jose Guillen to OAK for Aaron Harang, Joe Valentine, and Joe Brukusch
    Aaron Boone to NYY for Brandon Claussen and Charlie Manning
    Alex Ochoa to COL for Todd Walker
    Denny Neagle to NYY for Drew Henson, Jackson Melian, Brian Reith and Ed Yarnall
    Drew Henson to NYY for Wily Mo Pena
    Chris Reitsma to ATL for Jung Bong and Bubba Nelson
    Dante Bichette to BOS for Chris Reitsma
    Scott Williamson to BOS for Phil Dumatrait and Tyler Pelland
    Juan Encarnacion, Ryan Snare and Wilton Guerrero to FLA for Ryan Dempster
    Kent Mercker to ATL for Matt Belisle
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-15-2006 at 01:28 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rank these Reds trades of the last ten years

My top 10 would go like this:

1. Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo (so far this is like Pavano for Pedro)
    2. Rob Bell for Mateo and Encarnacion (Rob Bell was a dud)
    3. Jeff Stevens for Brandon Phillips (Zero risk, huge rewards)
    4. Jose Guillen for Harang and co. (We need to be making more deals like these)
    5. Griffey Trade (at the time, it looked like maybe the best trade ever)
    6. Jeff Shaw for Konerko and Reyes (Shaw was on the decline, Konerko was on the way up)
    7. Boone and Remlinger for Neagle and co. (Neagle was a legit ace, something very hard to acquire these days)
    8. Henson for Wily Mo (Henson never amounted to much)
    9. Bichette for Reitsma (useless hitter for a serviceable young pitcher)
    10. Lidle for Elizardo (at least so far, you gotta like the results for a worthless veteran pitcher)
    Go BLUE!!!

Not Laughing

Not to be nit-picky, but Reggie Taylor was signed as a FA
    Lidle was traded for EZ, Javon Moran, & Joe Wilson
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    Cory Lidle to PHI for Reggie Taylor and Elizardo Ramirez (there was someone else I am forgetting)
    Lidle was traded for Lizard, Javon Moran and Joe Wilson. Taylor was already gone by then.

Juan Encarnacion to FLA for Ryan Dempster
    Wilton Guererro and Ryan Snare also went to FLA in that deal.

Scott Williamson to BOS for Phil Dumatrait
    I think we got more than Dumatrait. And you have the Bichette trade listed twice.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

What about

PTBNL to LA for Cody Ross
    Cody Ross to FL for PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    I think we got more than Dumatrait. And you have the Bichette trade listed twice.
    your right, we got Tyler Pelland also. Too bad we didnt get Jon Lester as was originally thought
    Go BLUE!!!

When I look at those trades spelled out it shows me 3 things. One, we did a pretty decent job, Two, it takes times for some of these prospects to make it - like EZ and EE. Three - many prospects just don't make it. That's why it's tough to trade a solid player for unproven guys, but in our market it can be done. There were some very good trades in there.

I think the Shaw trade would have been he best IF we would have kept Konerko. Boy, if he was our 1B now. The Guillen trade was the biggest no brainer, well, and Merker as we got both back.

I love the Griffey trade just not the Griffey contract. But, I have to say I think the Wily Mo for Arroyo will rank up there. It's too early to tell, but to get a pitcher that can be a number 1, signed for a couple years, and cheap. Boy, that's going to be a tough on to beat and getting Wily Mo for Henson who is playing for the cowboys to get this deal done is great. Too bad we had to hold wily mo for a couple years. He was fun to watch in batting practice. We have a guy who hits majestic HRs so he wasn't needed.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

what's been interesting about recent Reds trade history has been that the same player is often involved in two trades of very different effect.

For instance, David Wells' acquisition is, by far, the best Reds trade of the past 15 years. And David Wells' shipout is, by far, the worst Reds trade of the past 15 years.

John Wetteland, of course, was involved in two trades in one day-- the Reds were so lucky to get him, and so stupid to move him.

Denny Neagle-- great add, and while he wasn't a terrible loss, it also wasn't a great trade for us.

Sean Casey, Chris Reitsma.

what one needs, of course, is to add a guy at the right time, then trade him at the right time, and also get a proper return. that was the case for Bret Boone, for Dave Burba, for Dmitri Young, for Juan Encarnacion, and maybe for WMP. I'd argue that it was also the case for Paul Konerko, but I'm a Mike Cameron fan. Some would argue that's the case for Mike Cameron as well, but I think that the Griffey deal has been terrible.

sometimes one adds a guy, he plays badly, then you trade him and he plays well for the next team. Now that's just not fair. To our great credit, that hasn't happened so far. If you're bad in Cincy, you're bad everywhere. Maybe Dave Williams will return to haunt us, but it seems unlikely. Jr. could be somewhere else playing well, but he's not. Eric Milton might easily be somewhere else right now and pitching well, but he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    When I look at those trades spelled out it shows me 3 things. One, we did a pretty decent job, Two, it takes times for some of these prospects to make it - like EZ and EE. Three - many prospects just don't make it. That's why it's tough to trade a solid player for unproven guys, but in our market it can be done. There were some very good trades in there.

I think the Shaw trade would have been he best IF we would have kept Konerko. Boy, if he was our 1B now. The Guillen trade was the biggest no brainer, well, and Merker as we got both back.

I love the Griffey trade just not the Griffey contract. But, I have to say I think the Wily Mo for Arroyo will rank up there. It's too early to tell, but to get a pitcher that can be a number 1, signed for a couple years, and cheap. Boy, that's going to be a tough on to beat and getting Wily Mo for Henson who is playing for the cowboys to get this deal done is great. Too bad we had to hold wily mo for a couple years. He was fun to watch in batting practice. We have a guy who hits majestic HRs so he wasn't needed.
    If we kept Konerko, then no Cameron which in turn means no Griffey.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    If we kept Konerko, then no Cameron which in turn means no Griffey.
    With the benefit of hindsight the Reds might have been better off with Konerko than Griffey.

Whenever Bowden is criticized, I remember that he was somehow able to convince a team to take Dante Freakin Bichette for Chris Reitsma. That almost makes for all his other faults. Almost.

princeton while I obviously like the CJ-Nitkowski for David Wells trade, I think calling it obviously the best Reds trade in the last 15 years might be a bit of a stretch, especially knowing at the time that he was just going to be a rental player. True, he did propel us to a division championship and pitched well in the playoffs against Atlanta, but if Bronson Arroyo keeps up at this pace I don't even think the two trades compare. Same could be said for the Guillen-Harang deal.

However I do agree that David Wells for Curtis Goodwin was Bowden's worst deal.
    Go BLUE!!!

True, he did propel us to a division championship and pitched well in the playoffs against Atlanta.
    exactly.

I try not to think so much

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    With the benefit of hindsight the Reds might have been better off with Konerko than Griffey.
    Nah, they would have dealt him off anyway with the Casey at 1st.

Shame we didn't just give the Mariners Pokey instead
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?