Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Report: ChiSox rookie ripped for not hitting Blaylock

Re: Report: ChiSox rookie ripped for not hitting Blaylock

J. Johnson buzzed a couple of Yankees last night before plunking Posada. Posada overreacted, but it's about time a Yankee pitcher brushed back an opposing player. RJ didn't even hit Perez. I guess Ozzie would've sent him down to the minors.

RJ's suspension is no big deal. He'll appeal until the day after an off day, and then take the extra day rest w/out upsetting the rotation. Torre's been giving him 5 days off from time to time anyway.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    You can't say Ozzie doesn't take the game seriously...
    but I can say he is a donkey for his his dugout display.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

How about Bronson grooving one over Brady Clark...that didnt get anyone thrown out yet the message was being sent.

I think umpires are just wussies.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    How about Bronson grooving one over Brady Clark...that didnt get anyone thrown out yet the message was being sent.

I think umpires are just wussies.
    It's so subjective. One ump will let boys be boys but another one might not stand for any crap.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

The umpire in the Yankee game the other night didn't issue the warning intially. After Posada's jawing initiated the benches to empty, he issued the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    The umpire in the Yankee game the other night didn't issue the warning intially. After Posada's jawing initiated the benches to empty, he issued the warning.
    That's just a lack of control right there. Is this guy going to issue warnings every time someone complains about an inside pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    That's just a lack of control right there. Is this guy going to issue warnings every time someone complains about an inside pitch?
    No,no it wasn't like he was just complaining. He had some "choice" words for the pitcher and the pitcher had some "choice" words for Posada. I had the game on, and IMO the warnings were rightly issued.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    No,no it wasn't like he was just complaining. He had some "choice" words for the pitcher and the pitcher had some "choice" words for Posada. I had the game on, and IMO the warnings were rightly issued.
    Yes, Posada was taking his time going up the line and had his bat in hand. JJohnson came off the mound and was yelling back. The benches emptied and the umpire issued the warning.

Claussen should plunk the first batter tonight. That would make for an interesting weekend.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

It's so subjective. One ump will let boys be boys but another one might not stand for any crap.
    Agree, and that is why the rule should be eliminated. Make the penalty for leaving the bench, ala hockey, where the motives are clear instead of forcing the ump to decide that Arroyo was sending a message to Clark (which he was, but Clark should have been thrown from the game for sliding into a player six feet away from home plate). BTW, cheap plays are piling up for Clark--leaning into pitches with his elbow pad, sliding into catchers that are six feet away from the plate...
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

If nobody leaves the bench,the pitcher and batter may indeed have to fight. Then someone could really get hurt.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Agree, and that is why the rule should be eliminated. Make the penalty for leaving the bench, ala hockey, where the motives are clear instead of forcing the ump to decide that Arroyo was sending a message to Clark (which he was, but Clark should have been thrown from the game for sliding into a player six feet away from home plate). BTW, cheap plays are piling up for Clark--leaning into pitches with his elbow pad, sliding into catchers that are six feet away from the plate...
    I agree that anyone leaving the benches or bullpens should be penalized. Of course you would have to include the defensive players on the field too. I think common sense has to be used a lot more in these situations. If someone gets plunked on the butt, there doesn't need to be a huge brawl.

Clark sounds like he's trying to become Biggio, Jr. Basically doing every scrappy thing he can to succeed whether it be taking out a catcher up the line or getting hit by a pitch. I'm glad Arroyo protects his teammates. He seems to be the only pitcher on this staff capable of doing that. I believe MIL hit Kearns a couple of times in one game the last time they played. At the time I was saying the next time Jenkins comes up, he should get nailed. Right fielder for right fielder. I think the Reds have let other teams get away with hitting their guys for too long now.

I think the Reds have let other teams get away with hitting their guys for too long now.
    I'll second that. I think the problem has been:

a.) The Reds pitchers lack good enough control to actually hit somebody.
    b.) With a traditionally gas-can of a staff, they don't want to put anyone else on base.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I'll second that. I think the problem has been:

a.) The Reds pitchers lack good enough control to actually hit somebody.
    b.) With a traditionally gas-can of a staff, they don't want to put anyone else on base.
    I think the latter point is probably more true than the first. We have had guys with good control but they never pitched inside, much less hit guys.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I think the Reds have let other teams get away with hitting their guys for too long now.
    Yea, I have been complaining about that as a problem for the last 2-3 years. And not just in retribution, but the art of pitching inside in general. Pitching is not for the faint of heart anymore than hitting is. You have a hard object in your hand that can really hurt someone, but to be successful, you must fling it as hard as you can on either the inside corner or the outside corner. Our guys are starting to come around a little bit and are reclaiming the inside corner, but still, too many hitters dig in with a scouting report that says "Reds pitchers do not work much inside, so get comfortable in there."
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?