Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Will Ask For Super Bowl L (Will Require Dome Over Stadium)

Cleveland Will Ask For Super Bowl L (Will Require Dome Over Stadium)

I don't recall this being discussed, and since there are Browns fans here...

I'm not a Browns fan, but I wouldn't want a dome over the stadium, even if retractable. They're all the rage now, but I think they'll be regarded in the same way as the cookie cutters twenty years from now. I just don't like 'em.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/9258709/detail.html Cleveland Will Ask For Super Bowl L

Stadium Will Need To Have Retractable Dome Installed

CLEVELAND -- Cleveland City Council members Monday night approved the proposal to request Super Bowl L (50) be held in Cleveland. As part of the deal, the city will install a retractable dome on the Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Approving the proposal to request the Super Bowl is the first step in a rather lengthy process of getting one of the most popular championship games in sports, WEWS reported.

The cost of putting a retractable dome on the Stadium is estimated at $90 million, but the debate remains on how the project will be funded.

The retractable roof would also permit the stadium to be used year-round for functions other than football.

The developer of the project has created a Web site that shows photos of the roof model and has a downloadable petition.

The petition is available at www.superbowlforcleveland.com.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Cleveland Will Ask For Super Bowl L (Will Require Dome Over Stadium)

It makes me sad to see so much public money go toward chasing a one-off event.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

No offense to those in Cleveland or Detroit or Minnesota, but for me, if i were going to a super bowl, I would want to be headed somewhere warm. Isn't that some of the appeal?

And I agree on the use of public money that Unassisted pointed to.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Hello, Cleveland!!! Hello, Cleveland!!!
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    It makes me sad to see so much public money go toward chasing a one-off event.
    UA, I think the article did say it would be used for year-round for functions other than football.

I know the RCA Dome over in Indy gets its fair share of boat shows, auto shows, conventions, HS footall playoffs, marching band competitions, and other events. It gets fairly heavily used. The Alamo Dome down your way probably gets a lot of similar events.

Whether or not its a wise move financially, I don't know.

So what's the over/under is for someone saying this is the only way Cleveland will ever be involved in a Super Bowl.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    UA, I think the article did say it would be used for year-round for functions other than football.

I know the RCA Dome over in Indy gets its fair share of boat shows, auto shows, conventions, HS footall playoffs, marching band competitions, and other events. It gets fairly heavily used. The Alamo Dome down your way probably gets a lot of similar events.

Whether or not its a wise move financially, I don't know.

So what's the over/under is for someone saying this is the only way Cleveland will ever be involved in a Super Bowl.
    I think the Super Bowl in Cleveland would be an absolute coup for the City. Also - They can host the NCAA Final Four and other type of events. I'm afraid as a traditionalist and as a Browns fan, be very disappointed if they went to the synthetic grass. That would be the next step.

The problem is that the city has cut backs in schools and fire department. Building a retractable roof would not be financially prudent at this time.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker

The Alamodome is way underutilized, with the city opening it up for events like high school football games and commencements that don't even need 10,000 seats, let alone 60,000. Most of the big events (and the resulting profits) go to the AT&T Center, which is owned by the Spurs, while the county owns the parking around it. Since the SBC/AT&T Center opened I'm almost certain that I could count on my 2 hands the average number of events that the Alamodome hosts annually which draw more than 10K. And the Alamo Bowl is the only annual event that comes close to filling it.

I think that has really soured me on public money being used for stadiums. More city officials should hold San Antonio up as a shining example of why not to build stadiums with taxpayer money.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Or is it just a case of Cleveland realizing they will never be a part of the Super Bowl on the field, so they'll have to provide the field to see what the big deal is?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Good LORD why would anyone want to be in Cleveland in Jan/Feb for the Superbowl...never understood it.

If the bengals ask for a roof and want the county to pay for it they should be run out of town after the rip off job PBS was the first time
    Go Gators!

Watch out... any cinders from any Super Bowl related fireworks might set the Cuyahoga ablaze again.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    If the bengals ask for a roof and want the county to pay for it they should be run out of town after the rip off job PBS was the first time

Its a beautiful stadium though, the best I have ever been to. Is the "rip off job" the Bengals did on PBS why the city went cheap on GAB?
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Its a beautiful stadium though, the best I have ever been to. Is the "rip off job" the Bengals did on PBS why the city went cheap on GAB?
    IMO, that's a big Yes.

Mike Brown got the county to open to coffers as wide as possible because he threatened to leave. The county knew the Reds aren't going anywhere, so they kissed the Bengals rear and left the Reds the scraps.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Yep, to me it should have been the opposite, used 8 times a year vs 81.

Oh well.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    IMO, that's a big Yes.

Mike Brown got the county to open to coffers as wide as possible because he threatened to leave. The county knew the Reds aren't going anywhere, so they kissed the Bengals rear and left the Reds the scraps.
    To be fair, Mike Brown had rejected Baltimore's money in order to give the people of Cincinnati and Hamilton County a shot at keeping the team before he would start talks of moving. He then worked with the city and the county to promote the referendum approving the county sales tax increase to build the stadium, getting Bengals players out into the community to promote their cause. Meanwhile, Marge Schott sat on her duff and refused to cooperate. From what I gather, she was a big jerk about everything and thought the city and county should bend over backwards to accommodate her since Cincinnati was a "baseball town." It was as though she didn't want the referendum to pass, but at the same time, she wanted her piece of the pie if it did. Then, when the tax passed, I seem to recall reading that Marge continued to act as though the city and county had to come to her, whereas Mike Brown immediately began working to get a site selected and a stadium built. In the end, Marge tried to play both sides and lost.

To this day, I feel like Marge secretly wanted the Bengals out of town. I think she then would have then threatened to move the Reds if she didn't get a new stadium herself. I distinctly remember grumblings that the Reds would move to North Carolina or DC if they didn't get a baseball only park, whether it was from that referendum or from one to come later.

Personally, I love GABP and I see few things wrong with it. But if you don't agree and wish to play the blame game, one person I would take a long hard look at is Mrs. Marge Unnewehr Schott.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 06-17-2006 at 01:40 AM.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?