Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleveland Will Ask For Super Bowl L (Will Require Dome Over Stadium)

Re: Cleveland Will Ask For Super Bowl L (Will Require Dome Over Stadium)

(In my Tim the Toolman grunt) Real football is played in foul weather.... Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Green Bay, Buffalo.... where warriors, taped to the hilt, meet in the bitter cold, bare bleeding knuckles, head to head collisions, bodies crashing, torsos mangled, adrenaline flowing, stretchers at the ready

AAAAA -AAAAA -AAAAA- AAAA

I hate domed stadiums... and pansies like Peyton (what kind of name is that for a FB player?) who can't seem to play unless they have a roof over them.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-17-2006 at 05:55 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Good LORD why would anyone want to be in Cleveland in Jan/Feb for the Superbowl...never understood it.
    Might have been better for Stanley Wilson... better than Miami anyway!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I'm curious, how much would a Super Bowl bring in for a city? Comparing that to the 90 million listed to build a retractable roof, is it worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think its a bad idea. The problem is that Cleveland is very poorly situated when it comes to winter weather. The prevailing winds whip right off of Lake Erie to make it bitterly cold in February. You may make it to the game, but you won't want to spend much time hanging around outside afterwards. And lets not forget the lake effect snow. Nothing like holding a Super Bowl when you have 2' of snow dumped on the city. I just don't think a Super Bowl in Cleveland will generate the same revenue that one would if it were someplace warm.

Even with a dome on the stadium, Cleveland just doesn't have the facilities downtown to handle a Super Bowl. They'd need a new convention center downtown to handle the NFL Experience. The one they have downtown is too small and the IX Center, while large enough to handle it, is way out at the airport.

All in all, it's this kind of garbage that bugs me to no end about Cleveland. Here they are worrying about a Super Bowl, when they should be finding a way to attract and develop new business for the city and figure out a way to improve their failing school system.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I'm curious, how much would a Super Bowl bring in for a city? Comparing that to the 90 million listed to build a retractable roof, is it worth it?
    Politicians there will undoubtedly trot out estimates that will support that notion. But there have been research studies done which prove these estimates are almost always inflated. I would find it impossible to believe that the direct benefit to Cleveland-area residents and its business community from a Super Bowl could top even a double-digit percentage of that figure. Most of the largest businesses that would benefit are based elsewhere.

The stadium would be used for other various events during the off-season.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

It's nice that they would be able to use it for other events during the off-season, but they already do that to some extent. If they put in field turf, they could do even more things in the early spring. Then, if the Browns ever make the playoffs, the only time CBS would be idle would be February through most of March.

To me, the idea of putting a roof on CBS is like the homeowner who hopes to increase the value of their home by adding on an extra room. Sure it give you more space to do stuff, but the additional value added is never enough to cover the costs it took to add the room on in the first place.

As it is, Cleveland has seen an exodus of business and talent from the area and doesn't seem to be doing much to change it. They have 4 major universities in the area and yet all the top-flight talent graduating from these schools leave town after graduation. They have a serious urban blight problem between downtown and the Cleveland Clinic. Retail spaces like the Galleria of Erieview and Tower City Center have problems keeping tenants. The schools are terrible. Yet they spend their time thinking of dumping more money into CBS. It doesn't make sense.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?