Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Krivsky's BAD moves

Re: Krivsky's BAD moves

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    You want to have a veteran bench where the players know their roles and are happy with playing once or twice a week.

You have young kids like Denorifa and Olmedo sitting on the bench playing once or twice a week, they will collect more rust and dust that will do them more harm than good. Unless they are playing everyday at the majors, they are better off playing everyday at Triple A till an opening or trade occurs.
    Olmedo is always going to be a backup, bringing him up and letting him be one is a great idea, also cheaper then Castro.

Deno has nothing left to prove in AAA.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    But nor will he improve continuing to play in AAA.
    Don't you think he stands a better chance of improving his game (and looking good for trade partners) if he is actually PLAYING baseball? Sitting out our bench does nothing at all except allow him to pinch hit once in awhile... and I think that could lead to a regression for a player who projects as an everyday outfielder.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I'm sorry, but I can't impugn a costs-next-to-nothing move like Joe Mays until Mays actually starts pitching poorly (again).

Pardon the sunshine pump here, but I think the way the Reds are using Mays (low-leverage relief innings, keeping NL clubs unfamiliar with him from seeing too much) might actually turn out reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    Don't you think he stands a better chance of improving his game (and looking good for trade partners) if he is actually PLAYING baseball? Sitting out our bench does nothing at all except allow him to pinch hit once in awhile... and I think that could lead to a regression for a player who projects as an everyday outfielder.
    I think this is a very accurate assessment and its why i think Denorfia holds more value as a chip in a trade (or subsequently as a Reds player following a trade) by playing and excelling everyday rather than rusting on a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    I agree with this as well.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath
    Krivsky has been the Asst. Gm on three division winners and four other teams that finished over .500. The Reds are leading in the Wild Card by 2 1/2 games and have a legitimate shot at winning the division when NOBODY including the most diehard Reds fans expected to do better than .500 this season. He traded for a pitcher that is on the short list so far to win the Cy Young. I think the man knows what he's doing
    To quote Verne Lundquist on Jack Nicklaus' putt at 17 to put him in the lead in 1986 Masters -

"Yessir!"

On top of that, he's getting rid of people who aren't producing. Beats bringing up Jason Standridge and Jason Romano every other week.

Denorf's gonna get his time. Castro will be nice to slide to SS in the late innings/defensive replacement/double switch/get-a-way day SS/3B starter.

So far so good in my book. I don't think he's oblivious to the fact of a 6+ Bullpen ERA.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Re: I'm not upset with Krivsky

Quote Originally Posted by Will M
    1. Ltlabner: " While he's made some moves that seem questionable (Keeping McCrackin and White at the top of that list) I don't see how anybody could have anything but praise for him at this point."

I'm not upset with Krivsky. I just think the bench could improve & I think the veteran middle relievers we have are awful.

2. Heath: " Dear Will - Are we in 2nd place in the Wild Card Lead ? "

Yes , but we ain't gonna make the playoffs with Coffey as the ONLY guy we can trust in the 8th & 9th. Some how we have to find at least one more reliever who can get people out.

3. RedEye ( Denorfia ) " He's certainly not going to improve sitting on the bench behind Griffey, Dunn, Kearns and Freel. But nor will he improve continuing to play in AAA. "

I agree. Freel can't play every day so he is our supersub ( 9th man ). He can play OF, 2B & 3B. If Denorfia was the 10th man I would bet he would get a decent amount of playing time & would be valuable to the major league team.
    He has no more 'development' to do - he is major league ready.

I could buy the arguement to keep Olmedo in AAA this year but not Denorfia.

4. UK Reds fan: ' I'd really prefer to just give Germano, Dumtrait, AAA guys a shot instead of Yan, White, etc.. So many never gave much faith to Lizard and the guy is our 3rd best starter at this point. I don't see the risk in Germano or the other AAA guys vs. running White/Yan, etc.. out there to only get shelled.'

Amen brother!

5. GAC "At this stage of the season there really isn't much available (pitching/bullpen-wise) on the ML level that other teams are gonna part with right now. And to EVEN pry a quality middle relief guy away from a team that is already out of contention would cost the Reds something of worth IMO... maybe they could get something solid for Denorfria?

But that's why teams are looking at players that are released, etc., to see what may be salvageable. Picken's are slim right now. "

I understand but trying a youngster from AA/AAA seems better than running White out there to get shelled.

- Will
    1 - Where are these people that you think can improve the bench? What about the Relief pitchers you want? You can't exactly buy them at Kroger or in bulk at Costco. Sure, White and McCracken are deadweights and Mercker can't get his own grandmother out, but where are the other options?

2 - Hey, that's my quote, well sort of. As far as I can see, the Reds are in 2nd place in JUNE in the NL Central with a team that most people picked to finish SIXTH. Enjoy the ride.

3 - I agree Chris Denorfia is major league ready. I also think he can't beat out Dunn, Kearns, or Griffey. Denorfia would get 1-2 starts a week, tops. Not good for a potential. Brian Giles sat in AAA for a while as well before the Pirates stole him. The difference is I don't think Deno's gonna have to wait that long.

4/5 - The difference between a Rookie and a Veteran getting shelled is that the Veteran knows how to react after getting shelled. It could really hurt a kid like Shafer or Germano who could end up being "Reith-ed".

Will, dude, if I were you, I'd take a deep breath and exhale. Baseball's a long season. That's why there's an All-Star game.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M
    1. McCracken should be long gone

2. Denorfia is rotting at AAA

3. Olmedo is showing signs of improvement over 2004/2005 & yet Krivsky trades for Juan Castro

4. He didn't even give Cody Ross a shot at being the 4th outfielder

5. Rick White should be long gone

6. Esteban Yan??? Joe Mays??? Do we have no one at AA/AAA better that this to pitch middle relief?

5. More controversial: I believe that even though the Reds are close their relief pitching & defense will cause them to fall out of contention. I fear Krivsky will wait until it is too late to make any moves to help the bullpen.

- Will
    1. Whoever replaces McC will be doing what Q is doing --riding the bench. Why take a veteran to do this?

2. If Chris Denorfia is as talented as we think he is, he needs to be playing. Sure, he would have played some in Griffey's absence, but my bet is that he would have played behind Freel. When/if we move an outfielder you'll see him move up with the big club--not before.

3. Krivsky seems to be a pretty good judge of talent (witness Phillips, Arroyo, and Ross), so how do you figure that he is mis-firing on Olmedo. In fact, I think that most of our minor league system is not held in high regard by the new regime. My guess is that they are right.

4. I don't blame him.

5. Agreed, but who do we put in his place?

6. Probably not--not one that's ready anyhow. I've seen these minor league pitchers come up to the majors and get bombed worse than the veterans. Maybe that's the reason.

5. (?) Like someone else said, there's not much out there to get. I've been watching a lot of baseball recently and every team (with a few exceptions) have a bullpen that can explode at any moment. The MLB is pitching poor right now. And the deals that might bring you someone good takes too much. I have faith that Mr. K will make the right moves even if, short term, it looks like he's asleep at the switch.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

In order....

1. McCracken should be long gone....Is that Krivsky's call or Narron's? I honestly don't know. My belief is that managers should and usually do have the call about the final makeup of their roster and if Narron wants McCracken on the roster....well Ok.

2. Denorfia is rotting at AAA...Denorfia is the obvious replacement for McCracken. I'm not sure that Denorfia can cover center in the big leagues, but he certainly has nothing to prove at AAA. If the reds are serious about keeping Junior, I have to think Denorfia should be traded for value soon.

3. Olmedo is showing signs of improvement over 2004/2005 & yet Krivsky trades for Juan Castro ...I surely scratch my head about that one.

4. He didn't even give Cody Ross a shot at being the 4th outfielder....If there wasn't room for Denorfia on the roster, Cody Ross certainly shouldn't have had a clear shot at a job either.

5. Rick White should be long gone. The reds simply don't have anybody in AAA that they can replace White with. The reds have been in the habit of promoting guys too quickly out of desperation. Those guys quickly run out of options and end up clogging up the 25 man roster and need to be dumped or released. That's what happened to Ryan Wagner and others. (Travis Chick is probably the only one currently on this path) I HOPE we've seen the end of that.

6. Esteban Yan??? Joe Mays??? Do we have no one at AA/AAA better that this to pitch middle relief?....No. No we really don't The obvious candidate would be Josh Hancock, but he's pitching for the Cardinals. Again, I'm not Sure whose choice that was. It seemed to be Narrons, so it's kind of tough to blame Krivsky for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs
    2. Denorfia is rotting at AAA...Denorfia is the obvious replacement for McCracken. I'm not sure that Denorfia can cover center in the big leagues, but he certainly has nothing to prove at AAA. If the reds are serious about keeping Junior, I have to think Denorfia should be traded for value soon.

4. He didn't even give Cody Ross a shot at being the 4th outfielder....If there wasn't room for Denorfia on the roster, Cody Ross certainly shouldn't have had a clear shot at a job either.
    I'm not sure how it can be said that Denorfia is "rotting in AAA." He is playing everyday.....which is better than rotting on the bench. Nobody is disputing the fact that he has nothing left to prove at AAA, the question is whether it is better for him to play everyday in Louisville or be demoted to a pinch-hitter with the Reds. I, for one, think it's better for him to be playing.

If Cody Ross was given the 4th outfielder spot, Reds fans would have had a cow because Freel's playing time would have seriously decreased. There was not enough room on this team for both of them.

I agree with most of the original post. I don't think any of the potential organizational call-ups mentioned involve grade A prospects. IMO, you are sacrificing this year for some later date. All fine for me, but I don't see the need to give up outs every time a Q or Castro has to come to the plate when there are better options. Many concede that the roster is sprinkled, if not littered, with useless parts. If you really want to contend for a playoff spot you're going to need these bottom of the roster players to contribute at least occaissionally. With who they currently have, don't see it.

I dont agree with you on Denorfia

For one.. he WOULDNT play that much for us right now.... If an OF takes a day off Freel starts... He's been called up here and there for a few MLB AB's and thats how it should be.

If he continues to improve and do well that'll open up options for a Trade deal down the road knowing we can pull him up and have a decent OF still even if Kearns/Griffey/Freel get delt...which i doubt but anyways..

other then that i pretty much agree with the rest.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    There is no rush to bring Defonaia up now. Why let him sit on the bench and gain service time as a bench player. McCracken and Castro are placeholders right now. Give Wayne some time. He inherited a team late in the offseason with a lot of holes. As Team Clark said, there's a shortage league-wide of relief pitching and teams are asking a premium for it. Not feasible to trade the farm for a reliever at this point. In the meantime, there's little harm in trying out Yan and Mays to see if they can be fixed (no other viable alternatives).
    I can't see getting all worked up over Cody Ross or Olmedo either. Neither is going to be an impact player/building block longterm (I'd say the same for Defornia).
    If Denorfia's not in your long term plans, what's the use in keeping him at AAA and not "rushing" him? Other teams already know what he can do down there.

No one ever comes to Reds - in recent years anyway - and gets "fixed". I'd wager even the mighty Duncan couldn't fix those two guys. If your plan is to contend this year, than I'd say yes, there is a lot of harm in carrying those arms, especially in light of the rest of the bullpenners.

Reply to alloverjr

" I agree with most of the original post. I don't think any of the potential organizational call-ups mentioned involve grade A prospects. IMO, you are sacrificing this year for some later date. All fine for me, but I don't see the need to give up outs every time a Q or Castro has to come to the plate when there are better options. Many concede that the roster is sprinkled, if not littered, with useless parts. If you really want to contend for a playoff spot you're going to need these bottom of the roster players to contribute at least occaissionally. With who they currently have, don't see it. "

I don't want to sacrifice the future to content this year.
    By that I mean trading an A prospect ( Bruce , Bailey ) for a middle reliever.
    I think it is crucial for a small market team to have a good farm system & a steady stream of cheap talent coming into the big league team.
    However I have no problem trading B prospects for someone who can help the team now.

I agree with you - over a 162 game season the last 2-3 guys on the bench & the last 2-3 guys in the pen WILL cost us games.

- Will

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr
    If Denorfia's not in your long term plans, what's the use in keeping him at AAA and not "rushing" him? Other teams already know what he can do down there.
    How about holding him in the "bank" so to speak, while he continues to showcase his skills, which potential trade partners can see and possibly desire the more they see.

He's not gonna get that on the ML roster sitting the bench.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?